Sony's new full-frame cameras with compatibility of Canon, Nikon, etc. lenses!

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Nice lenses look forward to see some shots , iirc the A7 R mark 2 has 42,4 MP and over 102.400 iso instead of +- 25000 of the A7 of mine , i miss that 2 be honest , that ll be the perfect camera

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Does Sony have a full-frame pocket-sized camera? We just lost our little camera unfortunately, so now looking for what people consider the best little pocket-sized camera.

It is compromised in every parameter yet, overall, I think the Canon G1 X Mark II produces high quality images from a camera which actually (but just barely) fits in my pocket (and I do not have big pockets). It will fit in the back pocket of jeans and in the jacket pocket of a suit.

I think its lens is better than the smaller pocket cameras which fit in your front shirt pocket.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
It is compromised in every parameter yet, overall, I think the Canon G1 X Mark II produces high quality images from a camera which actually (but just barely) fits in my pocket (and I do not have big pockets). It will fit in the back pocket of jeans and in the jacket pocket of a suit.

I think its lens is better than the smaller pocket cameras which fit in your front shirt pocket.

Thanks, Ron. Good to know!

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I might go and swap mine for a otis F 1,4 / 55 mm in the future , it has manual focus only but is very sharp throughout the aperture range , do need an adapter though for the sony E mount
If I could only swing an Zeiss Otus lens!!

If anyone out there has sucessfully used adapters with full function transfer I'd like to know about it. Most adapters don't transfer all functions and sometimes I need to just mash the shutter and hope magic happens so stupid mode can be useful.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I might go and swap mine for a otis F 1,4 / 55 mm in the future , it has manual focus only but is very sharp throughout the aperture range , do need an adapter though for the sony E mount

I'm partial to my manual focus Leica APO M 50mm f2 Summicron for sharpness. I love what it does on my Monochrome M and M 240. it's the most 'not there' lens I've used. and it's tiny. compared to the Otus 970 grams, the APO 50 is a mere 300 grams.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Is that the older version of that lens or the newer , the newer is is about 7 k euros overhere quit a bit more than a new or second hand otis ?
Havent looked into leica really, i m more of a novice to cameras actually , they do have that dreamy classic camera picture look

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I prefer manual focus lenses and use them almost exclusively with my SLRs but never with mirror less cameras. I find it very difficult to manual focus effectively with an EVF unless the subject is more or less stationary and use the peeking feature. It all depends on how or what you shoot but if you can try before you buy.

david

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I prefer manual focus lenses and use them almost exclusively with my SLRs but never with mirror less cameras. I find it very difficult to manual focus effectively with an EVF unless the subject is more or less stationary and use the peeking feature. It all depends on how or what you shoot but if you can try before you buy.

david

+1.

except if you use Live View with 10x magnification to check focus, manual focus with mirror less bodies can be perfect. in many situations it's not practical unless you have a static subject as you suggest.

a rangefinder (compared to an SLR) is the ideal manual focus approach as it can work in most situations very effectively. the exception is low light.....except for the f/0.95 Noct which seems to see in the dark.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Is that the older version of that lens or the newer , the newer is is about 7 k euros overhere quit a bit more than a new or second hand otis ?
Havent looked into leica really, i m more of a novice to cameras actually , they do have that dreamy classic camera picture look

it's the new one. and yes, it is very spendy ($7k-$8k USD).....it's like a jewel.

I do have an older 50mm f2 Summicron too, which is quite good and much less spendy. but it is not nearly as sharp. it's even smaller and lighter.

handling the Leica's is a pleasure. very simple and 'human' compared to my Canon rigs.

I have to admit I'm more a camera 'collector' than a photographer at this point......although I'm working diligently at getting better. it was either watches or cameras......and I figured I'd get more enjoyment from cameras and lenses than multiple watches.

as far as you being a camera novice, your pictures look very good regardless.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
using a rangefinder quickly becomes intuitive. at first it's off-putting for an SLR (or auto-focus) devote but I found it gets me more involved for many photographic opportunities and it leaves no doubt as to the focus. I know I can nail focus every time.

the only place autofocus is better is at capturing action shots.

another fun approach is zone focusing where you use the distance scale on the barrel of the lens for stealth 'street' shots. of course; you need to first test your lens-body combination to verify that the scale is right. and then it takes a bit of practice to do. but with a simple camera like a Leica it's quite easy.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I have used Canon cameras since the AE-1. (How many of you remember the AE-1?)

I used to have a 5D with several L lenses. I recently got my wife a 6D with the 24-105 mm L zoom. She loves the combination.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Full frame is full frame ,it aint the latest sensor i bought the A 7 because its the cheapest full frame and its portable , cant see me carrying a heavy dslr or a7 / zeiss otus around on holidays , if the latest leica 50 mm summichron or leica comparable would do then that would be a logical upgrade maybe, but 7 K is a bit to much lol

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing