Sony's new full-frame cameras with compatibility of Canon, Nikon, etc. lenses!

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Great advantage of the sony mirrorless is " seeing " the correct exposure while setting shutterspeed iso or aperture in the electronic viewfinder , which is to small imo , bigger would be better so you can see what pic you wanna keep or delete right away
Regarding manual focus on for example an otus lens i assume setting focus on that would be a joy use due to its construction , it also shows focus area iirc on the ring , but ill try before buy , maybe later this week i mostly photograph still objects anyway , hardly no moving objects /sports

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Visited a special leica store today , they also had those leica medium format cameras / lenses among others , what a pictures these produce... amazing
These are gorgiously build , i m in love although quite pricey .
The summilux F 1,4 /50 is a serious contender, beauty and same price as a new otus .

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Visited a special leica store today , they also had those leica medium format cameras / lenses among others , what a pictures these produce... amazing
These are gorgiously build , i m in love although quite pricey .
The summilux F 1,4 /50 is a serious contender, beauty and same price as a new otus .

it's a beauty. I have the 35mm f1.4 Summilux FLE. the 50 'lux has better bokeh.....of course, then there is the 50 Noct....even better Bokeh....dreamy....

careful with the pull of the Leica glass.....it's addicting.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I m sure it is , the store owner also acknowledged they keep their value much more then a zeiss would , even the new glass , still handmade in Germany as to zeiss which is apparently outsourced to a lower wage country, he was also a zeiss dealer but more in favour of leica .

WDB

Feb 15, 2012
I m sure it is , the store owner also acknowledged they keep their value much more then a zeiss would , even the new glass , still handmade in Germany as to zeiss which is apparently outsourced to a lower wage country, he was also a zeiss dealer but more in favour of leica .

Zeiss lenses and Voigtlanders too are made in Japan by I believe Cosina.. Some Leica lenses were made in Canada. With powerful computers and light path simulation software it is easier to design exotic lens designs that would have been hard in the past, lately Sigma has been making some real gems. There are some rumors on the net that Sony is going to be making an 80MP camera.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I think i m gonna go first for the older version of the LEICA SUMMICRON M 2/50 mm, a good quality one incl packaging .
Any thing one should know about purchasing one ,or which year is "the best make" ??
Or which adapterbrand works best for sony e mount ??

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I think i m gonna go first for the older version of the LEICA SUMMICRON M 2/50 mm, a good quality one incl packaging .
Any thing one should know about purchasing one ,or which year is "the best make" ??
Or which adapterbrand works best for sony e mount ??

in addition to the f.0.95 Noctilux and the APO 50 f2 ASPH I have this one;

f2 Cron.jpg

1979-1994: round clip-on plastic hood, tab focus, 197.6g. 11 819 (schwarz), 11 825 (silber chrom).

it's optically the same as the later 50 'cron but lighter and more compact.....and less expensive. I bought mine used a couple of years ago for about $1400.

other than the APO, it's as good, likely better, a 50mm as anything out there. and tiny.....197 grams!!!!

as far as the adapter do research. I'm no expert about it.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
But still its a tough choice , both would be better .
Here is a guy who took a tiny full frame 16 mp to india with an otis 55 , looks great as well .
But there is something beautifull about those leica pics ??:confused: sharpness /contrast ..coating ??

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2016/...n-df-and-zeiss-otus-55-by-sebastien-bey-haut/

Leica 'rendering' is wonderful. here are the 'numbers' which only tell part of the story. it's more about color and contrast and balance. the little 50 cron is #4 on the list. bang for the buck hard to beat. the APO takes no prisoners but is very expensive.

50mm.jpg

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
After staring at a lot of pics :confused: not numbers /charts , it might be the 50 mm summilux pre asph chrome version , i maybe pick it up tomorrow .:D
Those old school leica lenses look fantastic as well ,

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
After staring at a lot of pics :confused: , it might be the 50 mm summilux pre asph chrome version , i maybe pick it up tomorrow .:D
Those old school leica lenses look fantastic as well ,

You won't go wrong with either lens, its a question of taste and your style more than anything else. Lenses have their own look, the sharpest and brightest edge to edge isn't always the best. For me I find many of the latest, greatest and sharpest often too distracting and end up softening and darkening the edges of my images in photoshop. A so called crappy lens can have a very interesting look and even a pinhole has its place. Don't be bound by brand play around plenty of cheap and inexpensive lenses to enjoy with a mirror less system.

david

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Funny also how much similarities there are in the photographic scene , you got your digital versus analogue , old skool versus new , numbers versus arististic impression and on and on .
Good thing is digital and analogue seem to go quite good hand in hand:D

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Funny also how much similarities there are in the photographic scene , you got your digital versus analogue , old skool versus new , numbers versus arististic impression and on and on .
Good thing is digital and analogue seem to go quite good hand in hand:D

The camera forums can be even worse than equivalent audio ones! I see the camera a creative tool and if you're not in the reproduction business there's no right or wrong here. All the well known brands make great but imperfect products often its a question of ergonomics as much as anything else too. Aside from the hardware front end with digital you're dealing with a software back end that if not more has as much an effect on your images as your choice of camera and lens. You'll see enough of a difference among cameras, lens coatings, software, etc., when viewing on calibrated high resolution, high quality photographic monitors but things change drastically by the time you get to prints. Inkjets are the great equalizer! Almost all the differences you saw on screen between different camera brands and/or raw engines go out the door, what remains is your composition and lighting rather than the quality of the light which can be reproduced with a chemical/silver transfer process. And no, the USB/Ethernet cable to your printer, or its power cord won't affect the quality of your inkjet prints, but you're welcome to experiment :D!

david

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
The camera forums can be even worse than equivalent audio ones! I see the camera a creative tool and if you're not in the reproduction business there's no right or wrong here. All the well known brands make great but imperfect products often its a question of ergonomics as much as anything else too. Aside from the hardware front end with digital you're dealing with a software back end that if not more has as much an effect on your images as your choice of camera and lens. You'll see enough of a difference among cameras, lens coatings, software, etc., when viewing on calibrated high resolution, high quality photographic monitors but things change drastically by the time you get to prints. Inkjets are the great equalizer! Almost all the differences you saw on screen between different camera brands and/or raw engines go out the door, what remains is your composition and lighting rather than the quality of the light which can be reproduced with a chemical/silver transfer process. And no, the USB/Ethernet cable to your printer, or its power cord won't affect the quality of your inkjet prints, but you're welcome to experiment :D!

david
Just picked up a 2011 well maintained summicron 50 f2
I ll post some pics y first leica lens pretty cool

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing