Sony's new full-frame cameras with compatibility of Canon, Nikon, etc. lenses!

accwai

Jul 26, 2012
Its with teleconverters of course. 2x and 1.4 afaik.and a bit cropped after.
Yes, 400 × 2 × 1.4 = 1120mm. But as mentioned previously, 1400mm (500 × 2 × 1.4) isn't enough to fill a 1.6× crop frame completely. Making the video title image in 35mm full frame would require far more than a bit of crop. Just by eyeballing, I'd say at least 6×, probably more.
[...] Still extremely sharp.
Not so sure about that. Atmospheric shimmer is clearly visible in many places in the video. In fact, shimmer would become quite a problem once you go pass 1000mm. To minimize shimmer, you need outside temperature -10C at the very most, below -15C would be better. And to minimize the thickness of air layer you shoot through, the moon needs to be at very high altitude. There are only a few nights in a year with such conditions. And even then, one can expect no more than a couple frames sharp to pixel level across the whole frame out of a few dozen captured. This is stuff is no joke...
Leica also has a 560 -800 mm for this modular system.
The unit above is 800/5.6. 560/4 needs another focusing unit. All combos with this head unit weight 6+kg. Would be quite a handful. Really looking forward to your results.

Last edited:

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
I m actually thinking of may be changing to medium format .
The fujifilm gfx 100s look like a great option
I have the Hasselblad 907x. Still learning how to use it but results so far are great.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Hasselblat has great colours .
But its not so practical as the fujifilm gfx 100 S.
As far as i know Hasselblat uses fujifilm glass .

PS what i read on the net is that sony is also coming out with a mirrorless medium format camera

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

PS what i read on the net is that sony is also coming out with a mirrorless medium format camera
I have the Hasselblad 907x. Still learning how to use it but results so far are great.
Knowing very little about photography, but enjoying taking our own photos and then blowing them up 1.2m - 1.7m for the house (photos from around the world), do you think the medium format is something that 'like for like' just is a transformational change in quality to something like a D7200 Nikon with a great piece of glass?

I could imagine the answer going either way: at that size, very minimal difference unless in truly professional hands...or even at that size, big difference.

Thanks for any guidance!

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I m not a expert as well just a hobbyist.

Your camera has a APS- C sensor .
A full frame sensor will be better or a medium format camera like the fuijifim gfx 50 or 100 S which have a much larger sensor with a lot of megapixels which is great for large prints
It depends on what you photograph.
The fujifilm gfx100 s is also 16 bit so it has more colours plus it has 102 megapixels which allows you to see enourmous amounts of detail .
But its a heavier camera then what you have now / or most full frame cameras
Medium format is usually not that good for fast action, wildlife sports photography due to its slow autofocus / frames per second
In your case a full frame camera would already be an upgrade .
The fujifilm gfx 50 is a medium format camera with 50 megapixels and relatively cheap great for landscape portrait and other not very fast moving objects

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks! That is helpful. While we do like the optionality of capturing animals (safari), most of our large photos are stills (landscape, ancient ruins, etc.) We have elected not to go to full frame mainly because if we were going to step up...we did not want increments, and as medium format has started to come into high end hobbyist range (ie, not a 35K Hasselblad but a 5K medium format camera), we are continuing to watch that space.

Reactions: andromedaaudio

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
Knowing very little about photography, but enjoying taking our own photos and then blowing them up 1.2m - 1.7m for the house (photos from around the world), do you think the medium format is something that 'like for like' just is a transformational change in quality to something like a D7200 Nikon with a great piece of glass?

I could imagine the answer going either way: at that size, very minimal difference unless in truly professional hands...or even at that size, big difference.

Thanks for any guidance!

1. Unless you are working with a cheap knock-off or something is wrong, the lens quality isn't going to impact your vacation photos that much IMHO. Modern lenses start at very good and go up from there.

2. If most of the photos you will display are "native," ie, not cropped, then you have a lot more leeway to use when enlarging. Think of it this way, the more you zoom, either on your lens or in processing, the less headroom you have to work with.

3. Where you are going to display also plays a part. If the photos aren't going to be looked at up close, then you can get away with a lot more than if people are going to walk right by them.

All that being said, if you already have the camera/photos, then print one out to try and see if you can live with it. If you can, then there is no need to upgrade now. 24MP is plenty good for almost anything you will do online and any prints 8x10 or smaller.

I got the Hasselblad not for resolution or any technical reason but for the simple reason that I wanted to slow down my photography. I cut my teeth on film and made a bad living for a short time, selling underwater photos to commercial clients. I was excited about digital because of the promise of many photos and that newer was better. Well, over the years, I noticed myself enjoying it less and less, and it came to the point where I decided to sell most of my gear for the last few years, most of my photos have been on a phone or a small compact.

When I decided to come back, I looked around at the reviews and had almost decided on a Nikon Z when I saw a review of the Hassy. That review and most others praised the camera but dinged it for being "slow" as in AF and taking a picture. That appealed to me, and I took the plunge.

Haven't regretted it so far, and I currently don't have pixel envy for all the 100MP cameras in the space that seem to be ramping up for a rollout, but that will come! :)

Beau

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn

Good thing I didn't buy the camera for practicality. I bought it because it's good and everyone said it was "slow" which is exactly what I needed getting back into serious photography.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I m probably gonna buy the GFX 100 S with a G mount 110 / F2 or a 80 mm / F1,7 lens
I love wildlife / landscape photography .

For my work i go all over the place and its not to big to put in the bag
I usually extend the visit a bit for holidays .

Top of the list places / countries i shot with only my smartphone
Algeria Djanet Tassili Najjer .
Peru Parc national Manu and Pacaya samiria .national parc

I did shoot machu picchu / secret Valley/ollantaytambo Peru plus Egypt with the Sony A7 / Leica 50 mm / F2 summicron

Last edited:
Reactions: beaur

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
I m probably gonna buy the GFX 100 S with a G mount 110 / F2 or a 85 mm / F1,8 lens
I love wildlife / landscape photography .

For my work i go all over the place and its not to big to put in the bag
I usually extend the visit a bit for holidays .

Top of the list places / countries i shot with only my smartphone
Algeria Djanet Tassili Najjer .
Peru Parc national Manu and Pacaya samiria .national parc

I did shoot machu picchu / secret Valley/ollantaytambo Peru plus Egypt with the Sony A7 / Leica 50 mm / F2 summicron
That's going to be an awesome rig. I am currently having more issues with slow computer processing of my files than I am with the camera itself. Guess I need to upgrade the laptop as well! :)

Never been to Algeria, but I will now put it on the mental list of "to go" places. Was to shoot the Painted Desert in Peru but it's closed right now.

My favorite places I want to return to; Skeleton Coast Namibia, Verdon Gorge, France, Saba, Solomon Islands and Zion/Bryce Parks in Utah.

Beau

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
1. Unless you are working with a cheap knock-off or something is wrong, the lens quality isn't going to impact your vacation photos that much IMHO. Modern lenses start at very good and go up from there.

2. If most of the photos you will display are "native," ie, not cropped, then you have a lot more leeway to use when enlarging. Think of it this way, the more you zoom, either on your lens or in processing, the less headroom you have to work with.

3. Where you are going to display also plays a part. If the photos aren't going to be looked at up close, then you can get away with a lot more than if people are going to walk right by them.

All that being said, if you already have the camera/photos, then print one out to try and see if you can live with it. If you can, then there is no need to upgrade now. 24MP is plenty good for almost anything you will do online and any prints 8x10 or smaller.

I got the Hasselblad not for resolution or any technical reason but for the simple reason that I wanted to slow down my photography. I cut my teeth on film and made a bad living for a short time, selling underwater photos to commercial clients. I was excited about digital because of the promise of many photos and that newer was better. Well, over the years, I noticed myself enjoying it less and less, and it came to the point where I decided to sell most of my gear for the last few years, most of my photos have been on a phone or a small compact.

When I decided to come back, I looked around at the reviews and had almost decided on a Nikon Z when I saw a review of the Hassy. That review and most others praised the camera but dinged it for being "slow" as in AF and taking a picture. That appealed to me, and I took the plunge.

Haven't regretted it so far, and I currently don't have pixel envy for all the 100MP cameras in the space that seem to be ramping up for a rollout, but that will come! :)

Beau
Thanks! Yes, the main reason (as stated above) for asking is because we do blow up our photos (1.2m - 1.7m) which is around 4 feet to 6 feet and frame them for the house. Which means people are actually looking at them in front of the fireplace or around the living room, etc. Overall we are very happy with them, but fortunately before we really got going, we did move from some basic lenses to some of Nikon's sharper lenses, and that has made a nice difference in our ability to get that extra bit of polish on the photos.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Egypt land of mysteries

While i was there i also did a bit of a study of the stone built.
Apparently the sandstone blocks were damaged long time ago due to wind erosion which the egyptians later restored with black basalt and red granit ( which is a very hard stone , copper tools ??? unlikely ).
You can see how they smoothed the granit after placement

Tones 1.JPG Stones 4.JPG Stones  3.JPG Stones 5 .JPG

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
To make a giant step up in image quality with "relatively low cost " , i have narrowed it down to 2 possibilities both are 16 bit

Fujifilm GSX 100 S medium format with a 43.8 x 32.9mm image sensor, which is 1.7 times the size of a full-frame "35mm" image sensor , 100 megapixels .
Adavantages : easy to carry around , 4K video , good/ easy autofocus / a modern easy to use camera with a lot of functions .
With a good lens 7,5 - 9 K (depending on Lens type )

A dated Phase one system .( which is more of a professional / studio camera)
Phase One 645 DF body these bodies can be used also with the latest digital backs afaik .
Large sensor 40.4 x 53.7 mm.
Disadvantage : slow system heavy / big to carry around

Such a such a system can be bought for 5-7 K with a 60 or 80 megapixel digital back .

The pics both these cameras can produce on for example landscapes is simply amazing .
Basically commercial / professional quality

Last edited:

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
To make a giant step up in image quality with "relatively low cost " , i have narrowed it down to 2 possibilities both are 16 bit

Fujifilm GSX 100 S medium format with a 43.8 x 32.9mm image sensor, which is 1.7 times the size of a full-frame "35mm" image sensor , 100 megapixels .
Adavantages : easy to carry around , 4K video , good/ easy autofocus / a modern easy to use camera with a lot of functions .
With a good lens 7,5 - 9 K (depending on Lens type )

A dated Phase one system .( which is more of a professional / studio camera)
Phase One 645 DF body these bodies can be used also with modern digital backs afaik .
Large sensor 40.4 x 53.7 mm.
Disadvantage : slow system heavy / big to carry around

Such a such a system can be bought for 5-7 K with a 60 or 80 megapixel digital back .

The pics both these cameras can produce on for example landscapes is simply amazing .
Basically commercial / professional quality
It mostly depends on what you need your camera for.
If you need a camera to be your partner for travel, events and similar, getting a modern iteration of a full frame mirrorless camera would give you unmatched performance when it comes to achieve image quality, portability and snappy autofocus and tracking.
Also, the two camera systems you mentioned have formats that are not 3:2, but 4:3 and 5:4. Some people like them, but not everyone.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Off course a Canon R5 or a Sony A7 IV are great cameras .
But large 16 BIT sensors just render colours differently and the contrast is on another level

Phase One with a 10 year old IQ 180 80 MP digital back .

1661106581785.png

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi AndromedaAudio,

Thought you might be interested in one professional photographer's write up on Phase One.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Could all be true about reliability , i have no idea yet
But you know how it is on the net , he could also have commercial interests to talk NIKON up and Phase one down.

Were on the " whats best forum "

Image quality .... 100 MP XF body
Check out the pics in the middle of this vid , done with 1 small flash and for the rest natural light

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Stunning! These guys really know what they're doing! Good equipment...in the hands of serious professionals. I have no doubt left to me, the photos would not look like that, no matter what camera you gave me! Still...it is nice to see what the camera is capable of. Very special.

I often wonder whether with limited skill (ie, like for like), whether the better camera is going to produce better results.

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Stunning! These guys really know what they're doing! Good equipment...in the hands of serious professionals. I have no doubt left to me, the photos would not look like that, no matter what camera you gave me! Still...it is nice to see what the camera is capable of. Very special.

I often wonder whether with limited skill (ie, like for like), whether the better camera is going to produce better results.
Not only that. Production photography and hand-held, fast paced photography differ a lot when it comes to the ancillary equipment you need (high mass tripods, remote strobe lights, reflectors…).
Hence my original comment: for travel, action/kids or low light I would not change my camera with any medium format one.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing