Soundsmith Hyperion

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
Just installed my Hyperion MKII ESS. Right out of the gate this is an awesome cartridge. It’s sound is not like any other Soundsmith MI cartridge at all. It seems to me that it has somewhat of the mid attributes of a Koetsu Onyx based on my recollection. The Koetsu Onyx is a cartridge that I lusted after for years. It would be interesting to test these against each other at some point In the future.

I have an Air Tight Opus 1 coming sometime in the next few months. Will definitely do a shoot out between the Hyperion and Opus.

The Hyperion is an even handed cartridge with just the right amount of bloom, depth, and noticeable decay in any of the music I play.

Bass is so deep and the soundstage is also unbelievably wide. Voices are so palpable and realistic when called for. On the subject of voices, the reverberant background is nicely brought into focus, and backup singers are easily located in the soundstage.

This Hyperion seems to dig deeper in the grooves, for some of the records I played, some 1 euro or 1 dollar flea market finds, some the audiophile price class, and cleaned on the Clearaudio Matrix, sound nearly pristine and quiet. The flea market records sound fantastic.

I do have an upgraded Aesthetix Io phono stage in partial Eclipse form and two power supplies that’s part of the mix.

Lots to enjoy with this cartridge for sure. If anyone ever considered this cartridge and did not because of angst about a particular type of sound, I can attest that the Hyperion does not sound like a Soundsmith, but more so like an organic and well balanced and exceptionally high performing cartridge that competes way above its class.

I whole heartedly endorse this cartridge. It’s fun, it’s toe tapping, and it’s got an emotional attraction with music...you all know what I speak of who have had such connections. This cartridge performs that feat effortlessly.

Attachments

• 1092FEF6-5C80-4A27-BB2C-FF5F5ED972E6.jpeg
    1092FEF6-5C80-4A27-BB2C-FF5F5ED972E6.jpeg
    538.8 KB · Views: 28
  • D93CECC7-EFD6-477D-BEEF-BAA5E4867478.jpeg
    D93CECC7-EFD6-477D-BEEF-BAA5E4867478.jpeg
    828.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 6E1CFA9B-CDBB-4C92-BAA8-90565EE2E84A.jpeg
    6E1CFA9B-CDBB-4C92-BAA8-90565EE2E84A.jpeg
    685.5 KB · Views: 27

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Metropolitan Detroit area, MI
Just installed my Hyperion MKII ESS. Right out of the gate this is an awesome cartridge. It’s sound is not like any other Soundsmith MI cartridge at all. It seems to me that it has somewhat of the mid attributes of a Koetsu Onyx based on my recollection. The Koetsu Onyx is a cartridge that I lusted after for years. It would be interesting to test these against each other at some point In the future.

I have an Air Tight Opus 1 coming sometime in the next few months. Will definitely do a shoot out between the Hyperion and Opus.

The Hyperion is an even handed cartridge with just the right amount of bloom, depth, and noticeable decay in any of the music I play.

Bass is so deep and the soundstage is also unbelievably wide. Voices are so palpable and realistic when called for. On the subject of voices, the reverberant background is nicely brought into focus, and backup singers are easily located in the soundstage.

This Hyperion seems to dig deeper in the grooves, for some of the records I played, some 1 euro or 1 dollar flea market finds, some the audiophile price class, and cleaned on the Clearaudio Matrix, sound nearly pristine and quiet. The flea market records sound fantastic.

I do have an upgraded Aesthetix Io phono stage in partial Eclipse form and two power supplies that’s part of the mix.

Lots to enjoy with this cartridge for sure. If anyone ever considered this cartridge and did not because of angst about a particular type of sound, I can attest that the Hyperion does not sound like a Soundsmith, but more so like an organic and well balanced and exceptionally high performing cartridge that competes way above its class.

I whole heartedly endorse this cartridge. It’s fun, it’s toe tapping, and it’s got an emotional attraction with music...you all know what I speak of who have had such connections. This cartridge performs that feat effortlessly.
It’s been a minute but would still be highly interested in your listening observations with Hyperion Mk.II ESS vs Opus 1.

Reactions: hogen

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
It’s been a minute but would still be highly interested in your listening observations with Hyperion Mk.II ESS vs Opus 1.
Hello,

I just got the system partially assembled after nearly 1 year in storage. Movers did not do a good job putting things in the right places. I am missing my Clearaudio MontBlanc turntable stand spikes...these are for the stand that I mount the big Transrotor Apollon turntable with 2 arms (SME V/Transrotor TRA 9 Gold) and these two cartridges, Hyperion and Opus 1.

My recollection is that I was still dialing in the Opus 1 with the Transrotor TRA 9 tonearm which was facing off against the SME V with Soundsmith Hyperion II. The two are different for sure. I never had a chance to play around with the loading as much as I wanted to with the Opus 1 prior to us packing. moving out, and putting things in storage. My initial listening feedback back then was that the Opus 1 seemed more finicky to setup than the Hyperion. Take that with a grain of salt. I need to mount the Opus 1 on my other SME V to benchmark directly against the Hyperion. Right now, to many different variables, cartridge loading, new cartridge break-in, and not enough time. Stil in transition to the new home.

At the new house, and in the new room, I was able to get the Transrotor Dark Star and a Soundsmith Sussaro MKII running to test out the system. I have a Solidsteel HF-4 Ebony Indonesian Macascar (Gloss) turntable rack for the Transrotor dark Star.

I slowly fired each component separately on its own direct connection to the wall. Everything came back to life except one of the McIntosh amps. I replaced an outer bank of KT 88's and all was good. I need to locate my tube testers (those movers again).

Once I have all in place, to include myself physically relocating, I will provide more detailed write-ups.

Last edited:

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Hello,

I just got the system partially assembled after nearly 1 year in storage. Movers did not do a good job putting things in the right places. I am missing my Clearaudio MontBlanc turntable stand spikes...these are for the stand that I mount the big Transrotor Apollon turntable with 2 arms (SME V/Transrotor TRA 9 Gold) and these two cartridges, Hyperion and Opus 1.

My recollection is that I was still dialing in the Opus 1 with the Transrotor TRA 9 tonearm which was facing off against the SME V with Soundsmith Hyperion II. The two are different for sure. I never had a chance to play around with the loading as much as I wanted to with the Opus 1 prior to us packing. moving out, and putting things in storage. My initial listening feedback back then was that the Opus 1 seemed more finicky to setup than the Hyperion. Take that with a grain of salt. I need to mount the Opus 1 on my other SME V to benchmark directly against the Hyperion. Right now, to many different variables, cartridge loading, new cartridge break-in, and not enough time. Stil in transition to the new home.

At the new house, and in the new room, I was able to get the Transrotor Dark Star and a Soundsmith Sussaro MKII running to test out the system. I have a Solidsteel HF-4 Ebony Indonesian Macascar (Gloss) turntable rack for the Transrotor dark Star.

I slowly fired each component separately on its own direct connection to the wall. Everything cam back to life except one of the McIntosh amps. I replaced an outer back of KT 88's and all was good. I need to locate my tube testers (those movers again).

Once I have all in place, to include myself physically relocating, I will provide more detailed write-ups.
It sounds as though you folks and the kit in general, just need some sorting out and settle in time, and all will be right again. Best of luck with that. Then on with the exploration! Always found the Transrotors caught my eye (and ears) at the shows. Great turntables. If it wasn’t for a trusted friend and an offer I could not refuse locally, I may have persuaded a dealer and the details to go that path. Wound up with a really nice condition Brinkmann Balance and a few extra arm boards. Which has turned out to be very rewarding.

I feel for you as moves are always a bit complicated and off putting for a time. Even when the situation or location is part of creating a better life.

I don’t know about you, but we are in Michigan so as summer winds down, audiophile season, especially with my MA1 OTLs, really starts to become the primary focus again. The warm months here are so sweet and brief, we find ourselves sidetracked somewhat from everyday listening.

The SoundSmiths are certainly intriguing, but there’s so little formal review out there and they themselves offer little subjective differentiation between their models. I do hear a lot of very positive stories from those who actually own them, like yourself, and have a good friend who has been through a couple of the them. I enjoy his Paua. But it leaves me with not really knowing where I might want to get in on the product line.and there are a lot of interesting carts out there.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Sound smith does wonderful repairs
his cart line up.
Changes too often and I think this leads to both confusion and frustration
I own an older flagship of his it’s like tape playing on vinyl. very well bodied warm of neutral to me sasurro mkii excuse spelling if wrong
it’s a tough cart to make play well. It’s both Heavy and stiff . But when done well it’s a great cart.

Reactions: DetroitVinylRob

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Sound smith does wonderful repairs
his cart line up.
Changes too often and I think this leads to both confusion and frustration
I own an older flagship of his it’s like tape playing on vinyl. very well bodied warm of neutral to me sasurro mkii excuse spelling if wrong
it’s a tough cart to make play well. It’s both Heavy and stiff . But when done well it’s a great cart.
Yes, that might truly be of concern I have with going SS. My current (open) arm slot is the Reed P3 12” in pernambuco wood. Another tonearm I adore. So I am picking a cartridge to match a tonearm instead of the other way around. I believe it has an effective mass of 18g. So I find another one of my favored options might be better suited, an Etsuro Cobalt or Bordeaux.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing