Soundsmith Hyperion

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Gian, the Straingauge cart energiser works best with a linear pwr supply. I'm using a bespoke one created by the UK dealer who sold me the cart, Alternative Audio.

Take the initials, AA LPS.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Typically attend one of the major audio shows on a annual basis and last year was Rocky Mountain
Audio Fest in Denver. I ran into a couple SG users there and I was lamenting about the wall warts as a possible source of noise that I had been struggling with in my system. One of the users was very knowledgeable regarding better ps for the SG, including the Sbooster, Vinnie Rossi, Paul Hynes and the AA ps. That set me on my journey. From there it was a simple matter of a Google search.

I learn so much at these shows, not only exposure to new gear, but more importantly being able to converse with like-minded people.
Peter will be glad to know users are aware of his LPS.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Gian, the Straingauge cart energiser works best with a linear pwr supply. I'm using a bespoke one created by the UK dealer who sold me the cart, Alternative Audio.

Take the initials, AA LPS.

This dealer really knows what he is doing, great ear

jaxdr

Feb 21, 2017
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
What is AA LPS?
What is AA LPS?

SpiritofMusic and I have been conversing about our mutual appreciation of the Soundsmith
Strain Gauge in this thread. An opportunity to improve the sound quality of the Strain Gauge is it's power supply. SpiritofMusic has replaced the wall wart power supply (LPS) of the Strain Gauge with a custom manufactured power supply from Alternative Audio (AA). Coincidentally I am also in the process of procuring a AA LPS (Alternative Audio power supply) from Alternative Audio which is based in the UK.

theophile

How much do these AA LPS cost each?

jaxdr

Feb 21, 2017

There are several alternative power supplies that are available for the Strain Gauge. Can't give exact pricing but approximately (US $):

SBooster BOTW $800-$1000
Paul Hynes $1100-1300
Alternative Audio $3800-4000
Vinnie Rossi also made these for the SG but not sure if he is still producing these for the SG

Reactions: Stump

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I've just spoken to Peter, designer of the AA LPS for SG energiser.

He's emphasising the energiser is a regulated unit, so one doesn't want an LPS that further regulates the power. Hence the AA unit is not a regulated LPS (P Hynes, K Lau, SBooster etc are all regulated).

It uses two v big custom inductors, normally seen in power amps, to smooth the supply. These are used with a huge low-field mains transformer, and a custom Schottky bridge w special caps.

In addition to this LPS not regulating the supply to the SG energiser, obversely this unit shouldn't be used to simply power other 24V dc gear that requires regulating. It's solely designed for the SG and nothing else.

My only points of comparision are the stock wall warts and Vinnie Rossie batt psu, and the AA handilly beats both. Critically, it's been trouble free too, never tripping the energiser like the batt one did regularly, even w power outages in the area.

My analog is absolutely compelling atm, and the AA'd SG is a critical part of this.

jaxdr

Feb 21, 2017
I've just spoken to Peter, designer of the AA LPS for SG energiser.

He's emphasising the energiser is a regulated unit, so one doesn't want an LPS that further regulates the power. Hence the AA unit is not a regulated LPS (P Hynes, K Lau, SBooster etc are all regulated).

It uses two v big custom inductors, normally seen in power amps, to smooth the supply. These are used with a huge low-field mains transformer, and a custom Schottky bridge w special caps.

In addition to this LPS not regulating the supply to the SG energiser, obversely this unit shouldn't be used to simply power other 24V dc gear that requires regulating. It's solely designed for the SG and nothing else.

My only points of comparision are the stock wall warts and Vinnie Rossie batt psu, and the AA handilly beats both. Critically, it's been trouble free too, never tripping the energiser like the batt one did regularly, even w power outages in the area.

My analog is absolutely compelling atm, and the AA'd SG is a critical part of this.

Thanks for your update and sharing your discussion with Peter. It reminds me that I owe him some further communication and photo's.

Your comments about power and regulating the supply raises a question I need to clarify with Peter. I have dedicated power lines into my room and 3 of these lines are supplied with a Shunyata Denali power conditioner. Should the AA LPS be used thru the Denali or direct into the wall (dedicated line)? I will see what Peter recommends.

Your enthusiasm for the AA unit further confirms my decision to purchase the AA LPS. However it is a 60 day build from the point of payment so patience is required.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Jaxdr, Peter runs a Nat Audio Xenon conditioner, but I'm not sure if he's familiar w Shunyata, Entreq, Troy etc.

FWIW, I run all my gear incl AA LPS off balanced pwr/dedicated line, and Entreq ground as well.

Do discuss w him the burn in time as well.

marmota

Feb 3, 2016
How does the Hyperion (latest version) sound? Is at the same performance level as the other top cartridges such as MSL Platinum or stone bodied Koetsus (to name a few)? Of course, assuming equal and fair conditions, as a large part of the sound comes from the tonearm, turntable, amps, speakers, etc.
The relatively cheap retipping makes it a compelling proposition compared to MC cartridges.

Sorry for asking but the thread title says Hyperion and all the messages are about the Strain Gauge...

Grady98

Apr 27, 2018
East Coast
spiritofmusic I spent a lot of time with Peter at CAF. He was alternating between his SG system and a Hyperion. Both were luscious with incredible resolution, beautiful tone, with no aggression. The SG is addicting. I am considering a Hyperion, the only reservation I have about the SG system is losing my Allnic H3000 and CJ ET5 in the playback chain. I really like them both...

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Grady98, great feedback. Peter is a top top guy, fantastic customer service on the two stylus/energiser upgrades/replacements I've made since buying the Straingauge system in 2013.

I myself bought into the system, one, because I loved the sound, and two, because I could get rid of my phono, funds released contributing 1/3 of the cost of SG. And w stylus costs negligible compared to my trade ins of previous carts ($1k per stylus versus previous $3k for my Transfiguration Orpheus trade in), SG makes sonic AND financial sense.

Grady, if you think SG was dreamy, if you invest in it, you MUST go the LPS route. Peter wholly disagrees, but a whole new level of beauty has been revealed w my bespoke LPS to the energiser.

Good luck however you go, I know it is a major consideration re phono.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
spiritofmusic I spent a lot of time with Peter at CAF. He was alternating between his SG system and a Hyperion. Both were luscious with incredible resolution, beautiful tone, with no aggression. The SG is addicting. I am considering a Hyperion, the only reservation I have about the SG system is losing my Allnic H3000 and CJ ET5 in the playback chain. I really like them both...
Grady could you provide some more detail in terms of what you found in listening to the Hyperion? It's likely a very good cart, but one that doesn't get much attention. I'm interested in your listening notes. Incidentally, the Hyperion max load spec of 470 Ohms is not at a flat response. For a flat response, one will want to load the Hyperion at more like 800-900 Ohms. This can be a challenge for people using SUTs or SUT based phonos.

PS for others. It'd be nice to keep this thread related to the Hyperion. We know spirit loves his SG already. Whenever there's an opportunity to remind us, he does so. But there's another thread for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stump and marmota

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sure, understood.

Grady98

Apr 27, 2018
East Coast
bazelio I would be happy to comment further on the Hyperion cartridge. First of all Peter was driving the Hyperion with his system which consisted of the Strainguage preamp, turntable made for him in Germany, his arm collaborated with Schroeder, his amps, and his stand mounted Monarch speakers. The speaker cables were Transparent. So in essence, it was a Sound-smith voiced system. Obviously one can get a good sample of how one component, in this case the Hyperion, sounds but ultimately it is only a sample. How it would sound in my room with my system particularly my front end consisting of Basis Vector 4 tonearm and 2200 signature could be very different .

So, in Peter's system the Hyperion was crystal clear, notably so with acoustic guitar. Great tone with such clarity the strings had perfect bite and reverberation on the guitar body portrayed a nice woody character with beautiful decay. Likewise, voices were hanging in space, again with crystal clarity but with an organic feel - no brightness or aggression at all. Imaging is always an audiophile pleasure but my senses focus more on the tone of the system. The presentation seemed to remove a layer of grunge you didn't know was there, like looking through a window or eye glasses that were perfectly cleaned. Highs and midrange seemed to have an organic feel, by that I mean clarity mentioned above with just a very small hint of warmth. Warmth in the sense voices so clear but also providing detail in the chest giving it body. I would absolutely not call the system warm but....voiced just right.

Bass was round and tuneful when called on, especially notable on Donald Fagan, The Nightfly. Again, great decay on the bass providing rhythm to the sound. No sub was used in the system.

I am no reviewer so I hope my description makes sense. I find buying cartridges somewhat of a crapshoot since there is the inability to audition in one's system. So in summary, his system was in the top tier at the CAF in my opinion. If I could recreate that sound in my system with a Hyperion I would be very happy. But again, I still think it is an 8K gamble - but with good odds at least.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Anyone have pictures of his room from CAF ? I was in his room at Cap fest this year. I heard a few cart in there.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
his Room was nice but not at a level I felt it needed to be for cart demo of his level. So far the sussurro mkii has very high potential as its weight and details are very remarkable so far. his work on last cart is why I bought one there. Today I’m going to use all the tools from dr F and a full assortment from analog productions to nail the cart down.
How did you guys feel about the sota room ?

Last edited:

Grady98

Apr 27, 2018
East Coast
To each his own I guess. The Genesis room was a big letdown. Boomy and way too big for the room. If you mean the big Genesis Ribbons they weren't working when we dropped by on Sunday.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
i Was there and in his room many times a nice man. For the quality of his room it was not suitable for his level of cart demo I was very disappointed
How one can rate it is confusing to me lol.
But I did buy a demo sussurro mkii cart. so far it has a very powerful sound aligned with tape. But has an odd sound in the mid that is not pleasing
I’m hopeing it’s not set right. today I’ll do it well with all the dr F stuff too to bottom. It’s Loaded at 825 now. His re tip of my old denon d 103 Is great
I’ll remark back here. On his room what did you think of the sota room ? It for me was Second best of small room. Only bested by Gary’s genesis room
I do feel like is a big part of this over all.

Hopefully the Sussuro sorts itself out with time or a new alignment. I believe up and down the line, the Soundsmith MI carts are identical internally although the Hyperion is built with better tolerances and uses the cactus need cantilever. 825 should be sufficient load.

Supposedly, those Monarch monitor speakers are quite good (for monitors). I'm not sure about the rest of the system the demo with, however.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing