Speaker decoupling options

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I am ordering a couple of options. Will receive them next week. Let’s see…
I have to report (already did actually in dedicated HiFiStay thread) that i received model Stella 100 Triple Swing and I was/still am blown away by the positive change they brought to the table. I do hope you took them as an option to test...

Cheers

Reactions: john2020

ctydwn

Aug 23, 2019
Seeing this thread a bit late... Curious to hear if any results from your tests @moby2004 or others.
Using Stillpoint Ultra 5s under my Sonja 2.2i s to great effect on wooden floors. Not sure if they would qualify as decoupling though.
Sounds like alot of great options out there. Best of luck!

XCop5089

Sep 5, 2015
Winchester, UK
My TAD CR1 MKII stand-mounts (46Kg) come with TAD's matching stands (18Kg) which are of a dense wood construction!
Several options exist for the floor interface, including steel cones that screw into the underneath of the stands to form a stable tripod. You can, of course, use nothing, as the speakers and stands are quite stable on a carpeted floor, or, as I elected to do, initially, screw in a trio of Stillpoints Ultra 5 footers, which does raise the base of the stand (and tweeter) from the floor.

I lived with this arrangement for five years and was always content with the "fruity" strong bass performance, which has no right to emanate from a stand-mount speaker system.

My house is of modern construction, having been built in 2013 and the regulations that were current at the time, specified a membrane to be used to seal the concrete floor and I believe some sort of insulation was applied, before topping with MDF, with underlay and carpet on top.
So, the floor is not carpet/underlay over solid concrete floor, although there is no void to contend with!

I recently swapped out the trio of Stillpoints Ultra 5 footers, with a pair of size 4 Townshend Audio Seismic Podiums with blue springs at the four corners to accommodate the combined mass of the speakers and stands!

This arrangement lowers the base of the speaker stands (in comparison with the Stillpoints) which now hover less than an inch from the floor.
I was initially shocked at how much the presentation of the music changed, with detail, clarity, imagery and soundstage all enhanced, together with a tighter, more extended bass response.

There was obviously a lot of bass energy that was feeding into the floor, when Stillpoints footers were employed and this energy was influencing the sound of the system.

I am convinced that the Townshend Podiums are an improvement over a conventional speaker floor interface and although expensive, are an essential addition to any floor-standing or stand-mount speaker system used in a room, without a solid concrete floor.
By isolating the energy that the speaker feeds into the floor, vibration is also drastically reduced in reaching source components and floor standing amplifiers!

Attachments

• 64BDB623-8227-49A5-962B-333B3C3F2DB5_1_201_a.jpeg
    64BDB623-8227-49A5-962B-333B3C3F2DB5_1_201_a.jpeg
    1,019 KB · Views: 80

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017

matakana

Aug 26, 2020
UK
My TAD CR1 MKII stand-mounts (46Kg) come with TAD's matching stands (18Kg) which are of a dense wood construction!
Several options exist for the floor interface, including steel cones that screw into the underneath of the stands to form a stable tripod. You can, of course, use nothing, as the speakers and stands are quite stable on a carpeted floor, or, as I elected to do, initially, screw in a trio of Stillpoints Ultra 5 footers, which does raise the base of the stand (and tweeter) from the floor.

I lived with this arrangement for five years and was always content with the "fruity" strong bass performance, which has no right to emanate from a stand-mount speaker system.

My house is of modern construction, having been built in 2013 and the regulations that were current at the time, specified a membrane to be used to seal the concrete floor and I believe some sort of insulation was applied, before topping with MDF, with underlay and carpet on top.
So, the floor is not carpet/underlay over solid concrete floor, although there is no void to contend with!

I recently swapped out the trio of Stillpoints Ultra 5 footers, with a pair of size 4 Townshend Audio Seismic Podiums with blue springs at the four corners to accommodate the combined mass of the speakers and stands!

This arrangement lowers the base of the speaker stands (in comparison with the Stillpoints) which now hover less than an inch from the floor.
I was initially shocked at how much the presentation of the music changed, with detail, clarity, imagery and soundstage all enhanced, together with a tighter, more extended bass response.

There was obviously a lot of bass energy that was feeding into the floor, when Stillpoints footers were employed and this energy was influencing the sound of the system.

I am convinced that the Townshend Podiums are an improvement over a conventional speaker floor interface and although expensive, are an essential addition to any floor-standing or stand-mount speaker system used in a room, without a solid concrete floor.
By isolating the energy that the speaker feeds into the floor, vibration is also drastically reduced in reaching source components and floor standing amplifiers!
Look great too except the rat on top !

XCop5089

Sep 5, 2015
Winchester, UK
:) may be its a rat filled with leadgrains .
Audiophile anti resonance tweak
Entreq Apollo XL Vibb Eaters (7.5 Kg)

Reactions: andromedaaudio

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021

Interesting similarity to our loudspeaker set-up when we owned Townshend Platforms, as our Audio Note AN-E loudspeakers are also atop mass loaded stands. Interesting similarity also in floor covering, as we have nearly identical closed-loop carpeting.

Reactions: XCop5089

Gemini

Oct 14, 2015
Germany
Í would be interested in recommendations for improving the speaker-floor interface of the Cube Nenuphar. This speaker is slightly tilted to the back, so standard footers don‘t work. Maybe the Townshend Podium?

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Í would be interested in recommendations for improving the speaker-floor interface of the Cube Nenuphar. This speaker is slightly tilted to the back, so standard footers don‘t work. Maybe the Townshend Podium?
You are able to adjust the height of the pods on the podium so that should work

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
I have had great success using a combination of Marigo RHX feet and Symposium Ultra platforms under my MBL 101E speakers, and RHX feet/granite/EVP pads under the REL212SE subwoofer.

Attachments

• Marigo1.jpg
    Marigo1.jpg
    762.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Marigo2.jpg
    Marigo2.jpg
    830.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Hydrology

Sep 14, 2020
Using some Bassocontinuo DSD Decouplers under my Wharfedale Elysian 4 speakers with wondrous results;-

DSD1.jpg

moby2004

Jan 21, 2018
I did not update the thread but I chose to order Townshend platforms. And would they not be a good fit , I would try another solution…
Well, after a few months with them, I can say without any hesitation that it tremendously help in my situation! Bass are tighter but not “tight” . Sounds much more natural. My Sonja speakers are “back”. I can 100% recommend the Townshend platforms !
With a caveat that the footprint is relatively “big” and that moving your speakers with them is a challenge… (I wanted to order them for my subs as well but unfortunately it can’t fit. My subs being too close from my mains. )

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
I did not update the thread but I chose to order Townshend platforms. And would they not be a good fit , I would try another solution…
Well, after a few months with them, I can say without any hesitation that it tremendously help in my situation! Bass are tighter but not “tight” . Sounds much more natural. My Sonja speakers are “back”. I can 100% recommend the Townshend platforms !
With a caveat that the footprint is relatively “big” and that moving your speakers with them is a challenge… (I wanted to order them for my subs as well but unfortunately it can’t fit. My subs being too close from my mains. )
The Isoacoustics Gaia feet work nearly as well as the Townshend platforms and are less expensive.

Diasoft5

Feb 19, 2020
40764 Langenfeld / Germany
Using some Bassocontinuo DSD Decouplers under my Wharfedale Elysian 4 speakers with wondrous results;-

View attachment 88138
What other spike coasters have you tried under your speaker spikes before? What have the Bassocontinuo DSD done to the sound?
I have the Bassocontinuo DSD under my Bassocontinuo shelf, but it never occurred to me to use them under my speakers. For example, the effect of Harmonix spike bases or Ansuz Darkz under the spikes of my speaker was very great, but unfortunately I didn't like the resulting sound at all. All the energy and timbres were sucked out. It sounded like a portable radio from the 50s.

montesquieu

Jan 27, 2019
Coming to this thread a little late but had to post following very successful installation of a pair of Townshend Seismic podiums in the largest size (Size 5) required for my RFC Canterburys - 70kg per side. I wasn't suffering specifically from room problems but was curious about what these could offer for relatively modest money in the grand scheme of things.

I had heard them at the home of another WBF member on similar speakers ... they worked superbly there. And the same here - a surprising amount of additional clarity and naturalness, without seemingly any loss at all. More of everything. Worth every penny. Bass articulation in particular was improved, with no loss of impact. Midrange clarity improved as did room acoustic presentation. Recommended without hesitation.

Phillyb

May 31, 2012
I read a lot of all types of products owned many and all did more harm than good. It is always a trade-off. Most limited bass, and texture for being clean, and yes, you can get used to it, that is months later you go back to how the speaker was designed with any additional footers or platforms, and then texture is back, real transparency but now with body, color, and tone back. I never liked spikes or other non-spike additions, including Herbie decoupler, Galia's (which raise the speaker higher), and changing the sound by doing that alone. I have wall to wall carpet with a 10 lb. pad under it. So that alone decouples my speakers But my speaker came with attached feet, and in those feet, they give you short and long spikes to screw into those feet, either of them takes away the beauty of what that speaker is capable of. Now having hardwood floors is a different issue of course. That is like having a room of drywall with no damping or diffusion.

But then marketing is strong like all the different power conditioners each one is the best, and the same for Townsend, Glia, and whatever. But then it is what you like, and if you like the change (I never use the word improvement) in sound then you meet your goal of music enjoyment. My joke is I can put 4 hard apples under my preamp and I can assure you the sound will change. LOL! The power of the apple.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
I read a lot of all types of products owned many and all did more harm than good. It is always a trade-off. Most limited bass, and texture for being clean, and yes, you can get used to it, that is months later you go back to how the speaker was designed with any additional footers or platforms, and then texture is back, real transparency but now with body, color, and tone back. I never liked spikes or other non-spike additions, including Herbie decoupler, Galia's (which raise the speaker higher), and changing the sound by doing that alone. I have wall to wall carpet with a 10 lb. pad under it. So that alone decouples my speakers But my speaker came with attached feet, and in those feet, they give you short and long spikes to screw into those feet, either of them takes away the beauty of what that speaker is capable of. Now having hardwood floors is a different issue of course. That is like having a room of drywall with no damping or diffusion.

But then marketing is strong like all the different power conditioners each one is the best, and the same for Townsend, Glia, and whatever. But then it is what you like, and if you like the change (I never use the word improvement) in sound then you meet your goal of music enjoyment. My joke is I can put 4 hard apples under my preamp and I can assure you the sound will change. LOL! The power of the apple.
Only improvements - no downside from replacing the outrigger spikes on my Bache speakers with Isoacoustics Gaia feet. Haven't tried the Townshend platforms.

montesquieu

Jan 27, 2019

So when you tried the Townshend Podiums, what did you think?

Just to add, I bought mine because a friend with very similar speakers in a room with a similarly suspended floor got major benefit and I thought - I'll have some of that!

Phillyb

May 31, 2012
So when you tried the Townshend Podiums, what did you think?

Just to add, I bought mine because a friend with very similar speakers in a room with a similarly suspended floor got major benefit and I thought - I'll have some of that!
No, I have not, I tried enough to know they all change the sound, so this is where I am at, I can spend money elsewhere, then keep "trying" the newest thing for a few thousand dollars, Done with chasing, oh this will make it better. My experience is that is a crapshoot because, in the end, it is if you like the impact, and the sound of your system, much like trying mods, by throwing better parts in, get the unit back and your turn it on and hope its sounds better, well you could have purchased another brand and had the same thing, so guy working out of his home or small business knows more than say Nelson Pass, on how to build a preamp, amp, etc. Parts used and how they are used give the sonics of that given unit.
And other of course, even the big corporate luxury brands. Yes, they come back sounding different, and yes, you might like that sound. So then the money is well spent if you don't then you are back to square one and your modded unit has lost its true value.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing