Spectral

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
There are many other good amplifiers there is zero point in being tied in to such behavior, one type of cabling, same pre and power, and no upgrade policy.

This is a good marketing strategy though. There was a Chinese restaurant here that purposefully treated customers badly and people went there just for the amusement

Or just buy used spectral 10 and spectral 90
You British, Fawlty Towers comes to mind:)

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

roundhead

Oct 31, 2018
Managed to locate an exdemo dealer SDR-4000SL (previous model) with aftercare if needed from a very helpful dealer. Would someone be kind enough to let me know what they think would be a reasonable price for his please?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Yes Spectral is snobbish.
I will say. If you buy your Spectral from OVERTURE in Delaware they will treat you nice.

Whbgarrett

Oct 7, 2019
Managed to locate an exdemo dealer SDR-4000SL (previous model) with aftercare if needed from a very helpful dealer. Would someone be kind enough to let me know what they think would be a reasonable price for his please?

Maybe around $6,000 if it were in the US. Might be more on that side of the pond.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

At one point, maybe 3 years ago, Innovative were asking $14K for their 4000SL. I would say, it's worth well below 10K now.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I would ask the dealer if it is possible to register you as the owner.

I would want to know that Spectral would replace the transport in the future if needed. Perhaps your dealer could obtain a backup transport for the unit if requested down the road.

It is a great CD player. I would love to own one.

Mdp632

May 29, 2016

Thanks for sharing. I'm surprised this was posted by TAS but, probably most likely the dealer and not Spectral.

Spectral's business model is certainly not the norm in high audio. Which is shame because less people will get to experience their products.

But...

40 plus years ; same owner; lots of loyal customers. Not driven by marketing but, by product and engineering (K. Johnson)

Freyer is the Steve Jobs of high end audio; I heard a rumor years ago that they were friends so, makes sense.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Having done some forum reading, the ‘unique Spectral way’ is coming across as pretentious TRUE, cold and rigid TRUE rather than stormy genius ALSO TRUE!! And that's the paradox many of us find most annoying of all!!.

I would love it if they would bring a DAC to market based on the SV circuit, and I am certain it would sell well

Yes, but if they did market a DAC, no doubt they would insists it would have to be used with their preamp. their amp, their cables and would have to be used only when you are facing east and only between the hours they approve, except on the last day of February in a leap year (when you can use it at your leisure anytime on that day.)

Seriously, here's another thing. Imagine you had one of their amps, say the older M-400s or the 300 stereo and you want to upgrade. What's the market for a buyer for your gear? You could only sell it used to another buyer who buys into the entire Spectral system approach. How many people are there really for that kind of eligible buyer? I think Ked got it right. Look elsewhere. I can handle a lot if I get good Chinese food in return, but at some point, punitive treatment as a Spectral owner was simply not on my list of things I wished to endure. Even if the good Chinese food was free.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joe P and christoph

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Freyer is the Steve Jobs of high end audio; I heard a rumor years ago that they were friends so, makes sense.

What does that even mean and how is he compared to him?
Apple is one of the worlds largest and most successful companies. Spectral just a wee bit smaller and less successful no?

Mdp632

May 29, 2016

What does that even mean and how is he compared to him?
Apple is one of the worlds largest and most successful companies. Spectral just a wee bit smaller and less successful no?

Jobs was known a passionate perfectionist. Knowing that you will never get a good "experience" if you don't build the Hardware/software. Apple/Mac OS compared to PC Vendor/Windows

Controlling the whole ecosystem etc.

He also had the ability to seek out and hire exceptional people. Jony Ive, Tony Fadell etc to build and engineer exceptional products

Fryer has K. Johnson and his breaeth of work and accomplishments.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Don't know if Fryer was friends with Jobs, but Jobs did own Spectral at some point, and allegedly the iPod was born out of that, somehow... like "why do I have to spin and swap CDs all the time", or "why do I need all this stuff to play music"

Last edited:

roundhead

Oct 31, 2018
Text below from:
https://www.kcrw.com/music/articles/steve-jobs-hi-fi-system

“In addition to the Linn Sondek turntable, Jobs owned a 200-watt Spectral Stasis-1 power amplifier, a FET-One preamp, and a Denon Tu-750 tuner. Originally, he’d outfitted himself with large Acoustat Monitor 3 electrostatic speakers, which he later upgraded to Wilson Audio Grand Slamm speakers (the brand Henry Rollins has at home,) though I don’t think Jobs’ were the same top-tier, $200K Alexandria XLF model behemoths that Henry enjoys). And BTW, Henry also detests cd’s.
Later, Jobs switched to a MK1 Gyrotec turntable, a costlier upgrade which would have enabled him to better enjoy his precious vinyl. To my surprise, he never owned a tube amp and preamp—both of which allow for a smoother, more organic sound. Still, good solid state amps like he had are known for their iron-fisted control of fussy (think wildly varying impedance curves) and inefficient loudspeakers, specifically with regard to electrostatics.The one component Jobs did not own at home was a CD player because he loved vinyl and, therefore, outfitted himself with analogue components. Among his favorites records to listen to were works from the ECM catalogue, Steely Dan, the Grateful Dead, and Bach.”

Reactions: ack

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Text below from:
https://www.kcrw.com/music/articles/steve-jobs-hi-fi-system

“Jobs owned a 200-watt Spectral Stasis-1 power amplifier, a FET-One preamp,

I am not aware of the Stasis-1 amp and FET-One preamp - these would be Threshold, not Spectral. But in the iconic photo with the Tiffany lamp - also part of that Jobs movie from a few years ago - the blue light at the top kinda gives it away, though not entirely sure.

EDIT: This article https://www.wired.com/2014/04/steve-jobs-stereo-system/ actually does indicate that he owned Threshold, not Spectral (scroll through the pictures). But in the main picture, this is clearly not a Threshold amp. Maybe he had both at various times.

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing