SRX Vinyl 2019 Blue Note Reissues, total Audiophile P.O.SHIT!!

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I just listened to a couple to compare the 45 to the SRX. In the two randomly picked, I'm going to have to describe them as more similar than different.

First off, Lou Donaldson "Blues Walk" sounds very good on the SRX. I still get ambient cues, for example. Horace Silver "Song For My Father" sounds really similar between the two, with the SRX having a blacker background. I could *probably* pick them out in a blind A/B ... but I wouldn't bet on it.

So... thus far, with two random choices on quick compare, I can't call the SRX a piece of sh!t. @ddk - perhaps you might pick up a couple of the MM 45 and then see if you think the SRX is significantly worse. I don't, on the couple I tried. Maybe they are all garbage, then. But I don't think so there, either...
My baseline is acceptable quality pressings from commercial labels which are far more natural sounding than these. In general I don't care for remastered reissues from audiophile labels that's why I didn't buy the 45's before. The blacker backgrounds you mention are too prominent for me and also the EQ with goosed low bass and truncated mids washed out lower mids and upper bass is missing so much on some of them. This type of synthetic faux audiophile presentation is exactly what I hate, hence my comments specially give the hype for these pressings. We all have different standards and for me "Natural" is the only reference and I find these lp's far from natural sounding and overly processed.

david

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Chill DDK

If I got as aggravated as you everytime I bought what I connsidered bum releases, I'd propbably be dead by now. I comfort myself with the thought that some kids with Croslesy are probably enjoying them without having to have paid full price to boot.
Dear Jack,
I'm totally chill this is my style of writing and the only reason I wrote something up is because of the associated cost and hype, it's just my POV. We'd be on A'gon if we cared about the Crosely crowd we're on WBF and we will be critical at this level :).

david

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Chill DDK

If I got as aggravated as you everytime I bought what I connsidered bum releases, I'd propbably be dead by now. I comfort myself with the thought that some kids with Croslesy are probably enjoying them without having to have paid full price to boot.

Ya but the really cheap Crossos destroy vinyl.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
My baseline is acceptable quality pressings from commercial labels which are far more natural sounding than these. In general I don't care for remastered reissues from audiophile labels that's why I didn't buy the 45's before. The blacker backgrounds you mention are too prominent for me and also the EQ with goosed low bass and truncated mids washed out lower mids and upper bass is missing so much on some of them. This type of synthetic faux audiophile presentation is exactly what I hate, hence my comments specially give the hype for these pressings. We all have different standards and for me "Natural" is the only reference and I find these lp's far from natural sounding and overly processed.

david

That's a pretty analogous of how I felt about the Rumors 45 super-duper release. It's not an except description, but it sounded completely gutted, with a couple big bass swings to try to impress you. Also a Kevin Gray... But then again I have the Royal Ballet that he did, and it's good - maybe not original good, but good. I think the problem is trying to impress people too much, catering to certain stereo aspects.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Can I ask what are the best HiRez versions of these Blue Note works?

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I have very high quality needle drop recordings of the original pressings - almost all of them but not quite. I have my opinion of the best remasters comparatively, but I'm going to withhold it and gather the general consensus here. :)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have very high quality needle drop recordings of the original pressings - almost all of them but not quite. I have my opinion of the best remasters comparatively, but I'm going to withhold it and gather the general consensus here. :)

Can we know what gear did you use to made these needle drops?

Kefas

May 21, 2014
Actually I did not like the Rudy van Gelder remasters either. I very much prefer the original masters.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
AMG Viella V12 with AMG Turbo arm, Atlas SL, Lynx Hilo and RIAA done in software.

Thanks. Are you able to connect the cartridge directly to the Hilo? Do you do the RIAA correction when recording or is it carried post-processing the file?

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Oh there's either a headamp or a sut in the path too. I'd have to check, but believe it's the former. I'm 95% certain the RIAA is always a post process. A recording engineer does it all, and I just listen and compare. :p. Fortunately I have an acquaintance with a considerable and impressive record collection.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Dear Jack,
I'm totally chill this is my style of writing and the only reason I wrote something up is because of the associated cost and hype, it's just my POV. We'd be on A'gon if we cared about the Crosely crowd we're on WBF and we will be critical at this level :).

david

Whew, for a moment there I could imagine the veins in your temples bulging out with your eyeballs LOL

Reactions: Lagonda

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
ddk has the impressive armamentarium to hear the things about which he comments, which would tend to make me believe what he says.

However, maybe it's more fun to fight about it than just play whatever record is available.

Last edited:
Reactions: ddk

Skylab

May 14, 2016
Chicagoland
To think, I almost pulled the trigger on this today!
Glad I read this thread...Whew!

In my case, I had absolutely no intention of buying any of these UNTIL I read this thread, and now I’ve ordered one ;)

Reactions: dminches

brencho

Aug 28, 2018
LA
This is interesting. People were pretty unanimous in preferring the MM 33s over the 45s when they were released. apparently KG had changed a few things in his setup (cabling and such). It would be surprising for this latest batch to be a deviation from that. But if someone isn't into any of the previous reissues then that would probs extend to these too.

Reactions: bazelio

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
This is interesting. People were pretty unanimous in preferring the MM 33s over the 45s when they were released. apparently KG had changed a few things in his setup (cabling and such). It would be surprising for this latest batch to be a deviation from that. But if someone isn't into any of the previous reissues then that would probs extend to these too.

I don’t think people preferred the sound of the 45s over the 33s, more the convenience. Some time during the 45 series they made changes to the equipment (cabling) and people thought the sound improved. That’s my recollection.

My understanding is that not much was changed with the SRX series other than the vinyl formulation and some tweaks in the mastering. However, I would contact Joe Harley for exact information.

Reactions: brencho

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing