SRX Vinyl 2019 Blue Note Reissues, total Audiophile P.O.SHIT!!

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Although, I will say these should be AAA all the way, so I don't know about the dithering claim. :)

They are definitely AAA except for occasional circumstances where the master reels had an issue. But that would only be a song or 2.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Although, I will say these should be AAA all the way, so I don't know about the dithering claim. :)

I don't know if they are AAA or not just mentioned that the fake air is similar to to adding dither in digital which is just noise or maybe it's just white noise, don't claim to know how it was done just that it's fake too like the backgrounds. Was there a claim of all AAA through out the process?

david

Last edited:

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
To date, I have not heard a re-processed re-issue of a vinyl record that I have not found wanting compared to a good thrift copy of the original. It doesn't mean they don't exist, and I have only heard a handful of the re-issues, but the stuff ddk talks about did seem to haunt the ones I have heard.

Reactions: Lagonda and bonzo75

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
To date, I have not heard a re-processed re-issue of a vinyl record that I have not found wanting compared to a good thrift copy of the original. It doesn't mean they don't exist, and I have only heard a handful of the re-issues, but the stuff ddk talks about did seem to haunt the ones I have heard.
Neither have I, the same reason why I don’t generally buy them or shop audiophile labels.
david

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Not that I read Stereophile, but here's an article: https://www.stereophile.com/features/408rti/index.html

Some interesting tidbits:

Gray began building the transformerless room in the late 1970s, and has recently installed top-of-the-line AudioQuest cables. "I stayed away from this audiophile stuff until Joe Harley convinced me to try it, and I've been very happy." Soon will come aftermarket power cables.

I also find it strange to see that audiophile cabling is creeping in to the studio.

On the life in the music...

Other mastering engineers have their own ideas of what sounds best. Our philosophy is not to play God. We're not trying to reinvent history, not trying to make something sound modern. And we're certainly not going to resort to digital restoration, which kills the life as it kills the hiss."

So, he actually thinks he has not sucked out the ambience. But clearly he has EQ'd differently than the original LPs. This is generally where the air is going to come from: a boosting of the "air frequencies" and maybe some addition of high frequency distortion. (The latter being a possibility, but not necessarily employed here).

Finally, they believe their result is true to the master tape as opposed to the original LP:

We give audiophiles the master-tape sound, not the original Blue Note LP sound. You can't tell me that the audiophile wants to hear sound as it was compromised back then. You'd have to play it on a Zenith. They were very scared to leave too much bass, treble, or dynamic range on the record, because the tonearm would jump out of the groove. Nowadays, we can finally accomplish what Rudy Van Gelder would have only dreamed of hearing 40 years ago.

Reactions: bmarq and Al M.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
The originals were not made with audioquest cables. Electrons don’t change speed. They are just doing silliness, not knowing the ers of their way.

While I am not a fan of stereos that are basically studio gear, the hardened measurement based gear and cables is very good at capturing the signal, even they aren’t great at the playback.

If they want something better I wish they’d chat with me :/ They really don’t even know what advantages old gear had... to contrats.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Gray began building the transformerless room in the late 1970s, and has recently installed top-of-the-line AudioQuest cables. "I stayed away from this audiophile stuff until Joe Harley convinced me to try it, and I've been very happy." Soon will come aftermarket power cables.

We give audiophiles the master-tape sound, not the original Blue Note LP sound. You can't tell me that the audiophile wants to hear sound as it was compromised back then. You'd have to play it on a Zenith. They were very scared to leave too much bass, treble, or dynamic range on the record, because the tonearm would jump out of the groove. Nowadays, we can finally accomplish what Rudy Van Gelder would have only dreamed of hearing 40 years ago.

:p:D:) this is such bullshit!

But it explains why things sound the way they do.

david

Last edited:
Reactions: Lagonda and bonzo75

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Yes, I find that description to be on the puffery, promotion and bombast side of the aisle. Some of those old rekkids sound GREAT just the way they were.

Reactions: ddk

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
And...

They were released in mono because stereo albums cost a dollar more," he says. "They felt there wouldn't be enough interest to justify the effort. We're not going to keep anyone from enjoying the full sound by collapsing the soundstage and hiding their wonder. There aren't many—10 to 20—people on the planet who have heard these master tapes. Any critic who says that the only good Blue Note is a mono Blue Note hasn't heard the masters.

Can't say I've ever fallen in love with mono, myself. Good mono with one of the better mono carts is intriguing for sure, and I certainly get the nostalgic aspect to it. But I do prefer the stereo soundstage most of the time. Even when "stereo" consists of a couple hard-panned instruments surrounding a dead center instrument, as in a trio.

David, I can better understand your definition of 'hyped' based on this discussion. I did listen to an original blue note last night and compared to a reissue. Your preference for Ching Chengs falls perfectly in line as well.

Reactions: Al M.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
And...

They were released in mono because stereo albums cost a dollar more," he says. "They felt there wouldn't be enough interest to justify the effort. We're not going to keep anyone from enjoying the full sound by collapsing the soundstage and hiding their wonder. There aren't many—10 to 20—people on the planet who have heard these master tapes. Any critic who says that the only good Blue Note is a mono Blue Note hasn't heard the masters.

Can't say I've ever fallen in love with mono, myself. Good mono with one of the better mono carts is intriguing for sure, and I certainly get the nostalgic aspect to it. But I do prefer the stereo soundstage most of the time. Even when "stereo" consists of a couple hard-panned instruments surrounding a dead center instrument, as in a trio.

David, I can better understand your definition of 'hyped' based on this discussion. I did listen to an original blue note last night and compared to a reissue. Your preference for Ching Chengs falls perfectly in line as well.

Good mono is fantastic even with a good stereo cart and the soundstage doesn't collapse. Whoever made that quote doesn't know or more likely is just spinning the story to justify the product.

Reactions: ddk

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
And...

I actually like mono recordings a lot, find them more natural in some ways and less distracting without the stereo's spacial cues.

You're right about the CC.

david

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Good mono is fantastic even with a good stereo cart and the soundstage doesn't collapse. Whoever made that quote doesn't know or more likely is just spinning the story to justify the product.

Not really. Good mono, at least as processed by my brain, has incredibly stunning depth. More so than stereo, most of the time. But the strong center image is correctly described as a collapsing of the soundstage, in my opinion. And naturalness is also a matter of opinion. I find stereo more natural, but I do understand the "less distracting" comment. It seems to fit David's preferences to a tee. Just not mine. Horses for courses, as the great Keith R says...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Not really. Good mono, at least as processed by my brain, has incredibly stunning depth. More so than stereo, most of the time. But the strong center image is correctly described as a collapsing of the soundstage, in my opinion. And naturalness is also a matter of opinion. I find stereo more natural, but I do understand the "less distracting" comment. It seems to fit David's preferences to a tee. Just not mine. Horses for courses, as the great Keith R says...

Might not work in yours. You can't just pop on a mono record and expect it to sound good. Best is to visit a set up where the owner likes both mono and stereo, because he will have taken care to ensure mono works in his set up as well as stereo.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Might not work in yours. You can't just pop on a mono record and expect it to sound good. Best is to visit a set up where the owner likes both mono and stereo, because he will have taken care to ensure mono works in his set up as well as stereo.
Have done so plenty. I have jazz loving acquaintances, and have heard excellent mono playback. My preference for stereo consistently survives. I like the things that distract @ddk :) .

Reactions: Al M. and bonzo75

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
This is generally where the air is going to come from: a boosting of the "air frequencies" and maybe some addition of high frequency distortion. (The latter being a possibility, but not necessarily employed here).

In reality RVG boosted the high end when he mastered for LP to compensate for the equipment being used for playback at the time which was generally rolled off at the high frequencies. He also cut the low bass to prevent mistracking but boosted the bass at about 100 Hz to keep the feel of the bass.

Reactions: Skylab

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Have done so plenty. I have jazz loving acquaintances, and have heard excellent mono playback. My preference for stereo consistently survives. I like the things that distract @ddk :) .
I like some of that too, as long as it sounds natural I like to both stereo and mono.

david

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

By mid-1958 everything RVG recorded was in stereo. All the mono releases after that point were fold downs.

I prefer mono for quartets so that the instruments aren't randomly placed in the left or right channel. For quintets with 2 horns, let's say, I think stereo can be nicer if the piano, bass and drums are fairly well centered and the horns are split, like on stage.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I prefer mono for quartets so that the instruments aren't randomly placed in the left or right channel. For quintets with 2 horns, let's say, I think stereo can be nicer if the piano, bass and drums are fairly well centered and the horns are split, like on stage.

Yes I totally understand that. That's the hard panned placement I was talking about earlier. But the dynamics and detail of some of the stereo remasters draw me in more than the sometimes hard panned placement deters me.

Reactions: dminches

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Yes I totally understand that. That's the hard panned placement I was talking about earlier. But the dynamics and detail of some of the stereo remasters draw me in more than the sometimes hard panned placement deters me.

There is definitely an “air” in some stereo pressings that is missing in the mono. And then there are some monos that are just perfect. I like them both.

Reactions: Skylab

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing