State-of-the-Art Digital

acousticsguru

Feb 17, 2014
Blanket assertion. Mike Moffat appears to think otherwise.

Obviously you have not paid attention to my posts -- why would you, since you dismiss the technical performance of the Yggy anyway, whereas I appreciate the one of dCS DACs (how all the technical performance correlates with sonics is a different matter). The zero-crossing distortion of the first generation Yggy is already negligible (the graph in Stereophile is at -90 dB), and in version 2 it appears to be basically eliminated:

Schiit Yggdrasil V2 upgrade Technical Measurements
These measurements are a bit easier on the eye (notice the effect of what is apparently a symmetrical filter):

Yggdrasil16.png Yggdrasil24.png

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Those are the measurements of version 1 of the Yggdrasil DAC, not version 2.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Those are the measurements of version 1 of the Yggdrasil DAC, not version 2.
Do you have similar measurements of the version 2?

acousticsguru

Feb 17, 2014
Just for comparison, dCS Vivaldi (notice the graph was stretched for convenience):

Vivaldi24.jpg

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I can't tell a difference in the waveform reconstruction, same symmetrical filter, by the way:

View attachment 72510

The green sine wave is of version 2, and it is smooth (at -90 dB, no discernible zero-crossing distortion)

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

acousticsguru

Feb 17, 2014
The green sine wave is of version 2, and it is smooth (at -90 dB, no discernible zero-crossing distortion)
Oops, sorry about that! The red does look identical (at least I'm still able to read graphs, if apparently not writing). And you're right, of course, that's the part I found troubling looking at the graphs in the first place.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Oops, sorry about that! The red does look identical (at least I'm still able to read graphs, if apparently not writing). And you're right, of course, that's the part I found troubling looking at the graphs in the first place.

No problem :). Yes, the red (version 1) is similar to the Stereophile graph of the version 1 measurement.

acousticsguru

Feb 17, 2014
No problem :).
While this is one of the best waveform reconstruction measurements I've seen (along with dCS, MSB and a handful others), and even though I'd insist it's one of the few measurements that won't merely point to potential flaws (there's at least a morsel of positive correlation), by no stretch of the imagination does it tell us how a DAC sounds, I mean, without undue sarcasm, check these out:

WeissDAC202.png WeissDAC502.png

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Here is the same -90 db measurement of the MSB Analog DAC (granted, not one of the newest generation MSB DACs):

MSC_Analog_sinewave_Stereophile.png

I guess even the Yggy version 1 didn't compare unfavorably to this one, and the Yggy 2 looks definitely better than this (see above). As I perceive it, the Yggy 2 comes relatively much closer to the Weiss measurements.

acousticsguru

Feb 17, 2014
Here is the same -90 db measurement of the MSB Analog DAC (granted, not one of the newest generation MSB DACs):

View attachment 72515

I guess even the Yggy version 1 didn't compare unfavorably to this one, and the Yggy 2 looks definitely better than this (see above). As I perceive it, the Yggy 2 comes relatively much closer to the Weiss measurements.
In all fairness to MSB, this is more like it:

MSB.png

Reactions: Al M.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
That Yggy2 green graph is pretty impressive

acousticsguru

Feb 17, 2014
That Yggy2 green graph is pretty impressive
I guess the problem is in the realm of SOTA DACs, those graphs all look impressive, and yet people love the one and hate the other, so much for the relevance of measurements… :rolleyes:

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I guess the problem is in the realm of SOTA DACs, those graphs all look impressive, and yet people love the one and hate the other, so much for the relevance of measurements… :rolleyes:

True, but I do want to praise the progress made by anyone and everyone in the digital field, and irrespective of the price tag.

acousticsguru

Feb 17, 2014
True, but I do want to praise the progress made by anyone and everyone in the digital field, and irrespective of the price tag.
You're right, it does look near-perfect. Still can't comment on the DAC, nor the improvement over the earlier version, as I simply don't know it. ;)

acousticsguru

Feb 17, 2014
To give an example, guess which of these sounded better to us in a blind (!) test, and by better I mean MUCH better, and in every way?

WeissDAC202.png Delius24.jpg

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
To give an example, guess which of these sounded better to us in a blind (!) test, and by better I mean MUCH better, and in every way?

View attachment 72517 View attachment 72518

The first measurement is from the Weiss DAC202 (you posted that above as well), and given your tastes I am sure you liked the dCS Delius (second measurement) much better. Can you describe the sound differences in more detail, David?

Thanks
Al

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
While I love measuring things it many times misleads is to false conclusion. Having extremely low distortions to some makes for a dry sound .
jitter in its many many forms is a factual measurement can be directly correlated to better sound. but to add a little confusion how do you guys feel about playback formats.
same files be it red book or hi Rez. flac to AIFF
and of course flac no compression even add in wav. But I’m not a big wav fan.
any ideals on any of the formats. I’m curious in it’s observations.

Reactions: christoph

acousticsguru

Feb 17, 2014
The first measurement is from the Weiss DAC202 (you posted that above as well), and given your tastes I am sure you liked the dCS Delius (second measurement) much better. Can you describe the sound differences in more detail, David?

Thanks
Al
Huge, holographic 3-D sound stage, lifelike, dynamic and engaging sound with truly wide-band bass and treble extension, digititis-free without any "softness", instead an in-your-face "You Are There" kind of realism, with in absolute terms (not compared to other DACs of the same era, but e.g. the owner's opera singer wife who was not only present in recording, but also in person) a slightly "ghostly" lack of density or palpability and barely noticeable grain (at realistic playback levels, near-impossible to hear any grain at more moderate levels) on the one hand, a flat (dynamically as well as in terms of soundstage height or size), clinical, lifeless, downright boring if not depressing presentation on the other hand. This was the first of a whole series of DAC comparisons I wrote about in parts on these forums at one point, in the course of which the Weiss owner relegated the DAC202 to his holiday cottage.

Reactions: Al M.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing