State of the Art Solid State vs SOTA Tubes: Which is Moving Faster?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Individual biases, system gear / synergy, and a host of other variables will impact one's personal preference. This thread reminds me of the endless D vs A discussions that have occurred on WBF in the past. This is another rabbit hole. Have fun.

Unfortunately this thread is intrinsically linked to the endless D vs A discussions. Our appreciation of top modern versus top old designs depends on the format of source you are using. People who are using a vintage turntable and listening to LPs from the 70's surely have a different appreciation from people listening to top digital.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Micro ,

Why come in and whine , topics are only suggestions for discussion not religion and law ..

Do you think amps today are superior To those a generation or two ago ..?

Easy answer :)

Robertd

May 13, 2015
My recent experience put tubes ahead of SS. But we’re talking system matching too. Best things I’ve heard in the past several years were shindo and audio research. That being said, I heard an amazing spectral Wilson setup years back. I love spectral, but the last time I heard new spectral was with Magico, it didn’t do it for me compared to Audio Research and audio physic combo. Living in a backwater, In this age of fewer and fewer high end salons, it’s much harder to get a feel for this question. My solid state short list would definitely include spectral, based on past amazing experiences.

Reactions: Alrainbow

caesar

May 30, 2010
I do not like syrupy sound and I appreciate a lot the Aida's and the XLF's driven by the audio Research 750's - in fact the sound was very dynamic and lively in the few times I listened to such pairing. A few friends own Audio Research / Wilson and it is not syrupy at all ...
If it was not for the heat and tube count I would still own the REF610 or the REF750.

Try playing some Led Zeppelin on Aida with Audio Research 750. It's truly pathetic.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Unfortunately this thread is intrinsically linked to the endless D vs A discussions. Our appreciation of top modern versus top old designs depends on the format of source you are using. People who are using a vintage turntable and listening to LPs from the 70's surely have a different appreciation from people listening to top digital.

Looking at this hobby from a higher level perspective, this is a hobby based on subjectivity. Everyone brings different prior experiences, assumptions, perspectives, beliefs about finances, backgrounds, available real estate, different goals, and imaginations of realism etc. Unless people listen together and add meaning to some of the vocabulary, as well as compare similarities and differences, people will continue to talk past each other

Reactions: hogen

Down Under

Jun 26, 2014
The pairing doesn't work. The Aida needs real beitzim to drive it. One good combo I heard, Soulution works really well with Sonus.

I certainly agree with you as I heard the 750 with Alexia 2s and they could not drive that speaker very well.
Sounded slow,plodding and thick.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Class D amplification has improved dramatically in the past few years ("few" relative, maybe last 10) with advances in topology (especially feedback/feedforward) implementation, switching speed, and so forth. I'd argue, whether you like the sound or not, that is probably the amplifier architecture that has developed most rapidly in the past decade or so. It is almost exclusively solid-state, though technically you could implement it with tubes (and some do albeit in other application spaces than audio).

For low-level circuits, digital signal processing (again virtually all SS) for everything from crossovers to room correction, plus all the audio and video processing modes from Dolby and the like for higher resolution and greater dynamic range, has advanced fairly rapidly.

Again, just the rate of advancement as I see it (my opinion), not saying what anyone feels is "better".

IME/IMO - Don

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Looking at this hobby from a higher level perspective, this is a hobby based on subjectivity. Everyone brings different prior experiences, assumptions, perspectives, beliefs about finances, backgrounds, available real estate, different goals, and imaginations of realism etc. Unless people listen together and add meaning to some of the vocabulary, as well as compare similarities and differences, people will continue to talk past each other

The pairing doesn't work. The Aida needs real beitzim to drive it. One good combo I heard, Soulution works really well with Sonus

I find that your first comment applies particularly well to your meaningless answer concerning the Aida. People have been using the The Sonus Faber (Fenice) and the Aida's with Audio Research REF610 and REF750. These amplifiers are extremely powerful and dynamic and properly driven by an adequate source can fill a large room with both the Sonus Fabers with a realistic musical scene - surely very different from solid state.

BTW, many people think that Audio Research can't drive the Aida's because they listened to the REF210 or REF250's with the Aida's - and yes, they can't drive them.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) I certainly agree with you as I heard the 750 with Alexia 2s and they could not drive that speaker very well.
Sounded slow,plodding and thick.

Well, then you should blame the guy who set the demo. I have had the REF750's and the Alexia 1 in my room for some time and the system was a winner.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Well, then you should blame the guy who set the demo. I have had the REF750's and the Alexia 1 in my room for some time and the system was a winner.
And how much rock do you listen to Franscisco ?;)

Reactions: caesar

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Power supply has a lot to do with it especially with tubes .
Who has the biggest powersupply per tube ???
I think CAT . But i m not sure .
Is this alieno bottom box the powersupply?
Instant reserves in the buffer makes for fast amplification

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
And how much rock do you listen to Franscisco ?;)

I just ended a Genesis cycle this weekend, I kept Nursery Crime for the end. ;) But IMHO the finale of Shostakovitch 5th has much more energy than any rock - at less an audio spectrometer says so. People should look at such instruments while listening - they can help to break audiophile myths.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Francisco, Nursery Crime is my favourite Genesis album. Despite it having a dry acoustic in places, it's plenty dynamic. The end of The Musical Box, and the bass showcase/tom tom pattern in the instrumental break in Fountain Of Salmacis. Plenty to give a system a good workout.

The Musical Box imho is one of the great rock songs, top ten all time prog.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Francisco, Nursery Crime is my favourite Genesis album. Despite it having a dry acoustic in places, it's plenty dynamic. The end of The Musical Box, and the bass showcase/tom tom pattern in the instrumental break in Fountain Of Salmacis. Plenty to give a system a good workout.

The Musical Box imho is one of the great rock songs, top ten all time prog.

Now that you say it, it becomes more clear why I sometimes pick this album to diagnose a system. Genesis can't sound syrupy in a good system, including Carpet Crawlers. But after listening to rock with the German Physics Gaudi's played really loud our systems sound like kitchen radios :( . I recently read they are releasing a Gaudi mk3 soon.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Carpet Crawlers not on this album.
Genesis et al thrive on triodes/Zus. And especially on LP.

And Nursery Crime has been an album I return to again and again to test the water whenever I make a change in my system.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Power supply has a lot to do with it especially with tubes .
Who has the biggest powersupply per tube ???
I think CAT . But i m not sure .
Is this alieno bottom box the powersupply?
Instant reserves in the buffer makes for fast amplification

Not just the size but also the ESR of the supply matters...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing