Stenheim Reference Ultime two vs Zellaton Reference

Before few days ago I heard the Zellaton Stage model, I don’t think that they are the upgrade to my Alumine Five so the next level is Ultime two or Zellaton reference or other options.

What other speaker options would you consider testing?
Various Kharmas: Even "lower" priced Db-9, DB-11, MIDI 3, etc..... Horning from Denmark offer a different flavor, worth checking out. Stein Music, Cessaro from Germany. If you have large music collection try to listen to the Rega RS-10, you d be surprised. However if its the hi-fi fireworks and "prestige" you are after the other brands I ve listed make some great speakers as well.

Last edited:
unfortunately, I can not change my room layout.
This is the heart of your question

One of the guys on here has tried a number of big speakers in his large room recently. A room you'd think should be perfect for any high end speaker. Despite having reasonable distance to play with to the front wall placement isn't unlimited. A couple of speakers have worked very well, some you'd expect to have been a perfect match including Gobel Marquis didn't.

My take from the experience, buying blind at this level really is a crap shoot, with the odds stacked against if room placement of the the speakers and listening position are limited.

Reactions: geetee1972
This is the heart of your question

One of the guys on here has tried a number of big speakers in his large room recently. A room you'd think should be perfect for any high end speaker. Despite having reasonable distance to play with to the front wall placement isn't unlimited. A couple of speakers have worked very well, some you'd expect to have been a perfect match including Gobel Marquis didn't.

My take from the experience, buying blind at this level really is a crap shoot, with the odds stacked against if room placement of the the speakers and listening position are limited.
Are we talking about the same person?

Dear @orenatt,

I should have asked this earlier—why Stenheim? If your preference is for high-sensitivity paper cones and silk domes, then I’d suggest focusing on speakers with those types of drivers and considering tube amplification. However, if you’re open to other options, you might want to explore speakers with high-tech carbon or diamond drivers.

I believe the first step is to determine the kind of sound you’re really after. Perhaps you’ve already done this, but others here may not be aware, given the range of recommendations involving different design topologies. All of them are good choices but may not be the one you want.

What defride and geetee1972 said. Based on experience in my room. Best speaker so far has been the Audionec Evo 2 - might be worth a try.

We talked about Zellaton and Stenheim but there are a lot of very good brands and options such as Magico, Wilson, Kharma, Raidho, Avalon, MBL, TAD and more.

What do you think about another alternative?

Most are laterals , better here , less there , all good in their own right , music type plays alot when picking, if plenty acoustic and opera concert type music heavy on vocals the MBL will be the standout ..

Proper baffle design .... !
Noblesse is 6 inches taller, 6 inches wider and 12 inches deeper than the '2' so I dont get why it wont fit but that isnt my decision. I only know what they are capable of and that is special

I'm not sure how any speaker would be overkill in a room that big! 7m by 5.9m is pretty large. Plus, I don't think there's much relationship between how big a room is and how large the speaker is, unless you're going to the other way, in which case a speaker can be too small for the room. Just not the other way around. I base that opinion on the simple fact that my 3.5m by 3.6m room has standmounts with a 15" woofer in a cabinet that measure 550mm by 790mm by 220mm siting on stands that raise the overal height to 1.2m. Like you after I installed them for the demo, I thought 'no way will these work, just too big', but nope, they worked better, significantly better in terms of acoustic behaviour, than the speakers they replaced, which were literally half the size.

BTW I'm sure it's just a typo but the Alumine 5s and the Reference 2s are rear ported, not front ported.

I've heard the Divin Marquis in a friend's room with a huge system in front of it and they just didn't work; either it was the room (which is 13m by 5m by about 2.5m) interaction that was off, or those speakers were just not happy with the power amps (Audionet Heisenbergs). Five of us listening and all five of us agreed something was off. And yet, them being off was in a very large room.

The room will always play a part, I just don't think you can make any assumptions about size.
I have to correct some details here, the Alumine 5 are front ported , and the Reference 2 are back ported. I just checked to be sure i remembered correct. :)

Dear @orenatt,

I should have asked this earlier—why Stenheim? If your preference is for high-sensitivity paper cones and silk domes, then I’d suggest focusing on speakers with those types of drivers and considering tube amplification. However, if you’re open to other options, you might want to explore speakers with high-tech carbon or diamond drivers.

I believe the first step is to determine the kind of sound you’re really after. Perhaps you’ve already done this, but others here may not be aware, given the range of recommendations involving different design topologies. All of them are good choices but may not be the one you want.
Hi ,

Before Stanheim I had Wilson Sasha and ATC SCM50 active speakers, I like to upgrade the speakers every 5 years.
Before I purchased the Steinheim I tested them against Magico s5 and wilson alexia and Daw, I liked the Steinheim the best of the three which works well in the bi amping configuration with the CH electronics, they are very clear, fast and efficient but I don’t have any problem to check another technologies such as carbon and diamond drivers.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu