Stereophile and Magico

caesar

May 30, 2010
Cannata,

So have you been able to convince Wolf to send his speakers to Stereophile?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Some excellent points and conclusions , Caesar.
One thing that comes to mind is that some of the reviewer's that you are pointing to may not in fact have bad intentions....perhaps they do not have quite the 'golden ears' that they profess to have?? It is not the first time that well known 'golden eared' reviewer's have offered immense hyperbole only to retract after a new(er) product becomes available. Usually after another a'phile (or community) has stated that the 'hyped' product isn't that great after all...and given reasons to support the claim.
I suspect that a lot of us assume ( incorrectly ) that all reviewer's in audio have the ability to actually hear what it is that they are writing about and are 'experts' in the field....Sadly, it just ain't always the way, IME. ( some of them even believe that they are the anointed leaders of the field....can we say KING.......oh, better not go there:rolleyes:;), LOL):D:D

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Magico doesn't want Stereophile’s or anyone else’s scrutiny; Wolf prefers the lackeys and sycophants to write about his products. His guys just parrot the magico marketing message. I don't blame him at all for this, who wouldn’t want the same thing for the fruits of their work?!

How many Magico reviews (and I mean worldwide, not only US sourced, which seems to be your limit) have you read ?

I can only assume not many, since otherwise you would not write BS like this.

Not to mention, insulting some good guys like Myles, who at least put the money where his mouth was, and bough the product.

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
Cannata,

So have you been able to convince Wolf to send his speakers to Stereophile?

I talked to Alon several time at the show, I did ask about Magico/Stereophile reviews, he said that Magico would love to get more coverage in Stereophile and offered no real insight to why that has not been the case. I asked him about MF Q5 review, and he said that it was overall a great review that helped very much in the promoting of the Q5. I did not get the feeling that Magico is holding back, so I think you need to come up with another theory

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I talked to Alon several time at the show, I did ask about Magico/Stereophile reviews, he said that Magico would love to get more coverage in Stereophile and offered no real insight to why that has not been the case. I asked him about MF Q5 review, and he said that it was overall a great review that helped very much in the promoting of the Q5. I did not get the feeling that Magico is holding back, so I think you need to come up with another theory

:D

if Magico were avoiding Stereophile do you really believe Alon would tell you about that?

not saying he is doing that; but him not telling you has little if anything to tell us about that issue. that is simply my personal viewpoint.

and I'm not judging Magico harshly. they are doing great.....what would they have to gain verses what is the risk?

it's just business.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA

Haha - nice political answer he gave you.

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
:D

if Magico were avoiding Stereophile do you really believe Alon would tell you about that?

not saying he is doing that; but him not telling you has little if anything to tell us about that issue. that is simply my personal viewpoint.

and I'm not judging Magico harshly. they are doing great.....what would they have to gain verses what is the risk?

it's just business.

Perhaps, but his comments are usually pretty blunt, and he did talked about MF review as an example to a good review although he did not agree with some of the conclusions ("the cellos I knows do not roar"). Felt genuine to me, but you may be right...

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Sounds reasonable to me. From my perspective, however, the review process can be initiated in two ways:
1. The manufacturer contacts the Editor and/or his choice of reviewer suggesting a review.
2. A reviewer expresses interest to the Editor about reviewing a product and, then, contacts the manufacturer.

Perhaps all this is just a matter of inertia.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Sounds reasonable to me. From my perspective, however, the review process can be initiated in two ways:
1. The manufacturer contacts the Editor and/or his choice of reviewer suggesting a review.
2. A reviewer expresses interest to the Editor about reviewing a product and, then, contacts the manufacturer.

or perhaps of marketing strategy... I no longer TAS or Stereophile but if there is a lack of coverage from Stereophile, it hasn't hurt Magico's sales.. Why would they change their strategy with said magazine? The shunning the review process hasn't dimmed the stars of FM Acoustics for example so .. It is a strategy as any other.. Heighten the Mystique ..

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy

Should be simple, Kal you said you would not mind reviewing a Magico product, so why don’t you request one and tell us what happen ;)

Stereoeditor

Sep 6, 2010
Should be simple, Kal you said you would not mind reviewing a Magico product, so why don’t you request one and tell us what happen ;)

I have been discussing a review of the S5 Mk.II with Magico and I have asked for a pair for review to be delivered at the beginning of August.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com

That doesn't mean that it is very high on my priority list nor do I have enough knowledge to choose any particular model. I figured that if Magico was really interested, they would contact us. That's what I meant about inertia.

But all that is moot now.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I have been discussing a review of the S5 Mk.II with Magico and I have asked for a pair for review to be delivered at the beginning of August.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

Great news!

drabbish

Aug 15, 2015
i'm confused by this whole thread, didn't Magico's Q5 win speaker of the year in 2011? so that seems like a pretty big deal.

mcduman

Aug 9, 2014

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

Looking forward to the review. I am an ex-m5 owner and an open s5-hater. havent heard the mk II yet, lets see if it is still a discotheque speaker

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
Magnificent!!
I just ordered a pair after hearing them in Munich, a big improve on the original. Now the wait, probably get them when the review is out :(.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Looking forward to the review. I am an ex-m5 owner and an open s5-hater. havent heard the mk II yet, lets see if it is still a discotheque speaker

wow! Harsh words for a good sounding speaker :rolleyes:... to each his own I guess

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing