Stereophile and Magico

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I think you should show a little more respect to people like Tom Danley. His contributions to Audio reproduction and his numerous patents have been real and far reaching. Light years away from what many including you have ...

Surely - I saw his great work and patents when I quoted his firm activity from its site. I am just an audiophile, not an expert in audio. Where is the disrespect? :confused::confused::confused: But the technical points you referred can be explained by his professional interests.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Microstrip
And what about the maxx 3 compared to the M 5 , i think i saw you selling a pair a couple of years ago on the net ??

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
LOL. Nice try. I bet Magico is grateful for your approval.
i hope they are. we have another audiophile in the house, a potential client :)

Lucky girl!! I'll never forget the first time my daughter heard vinyl as a teen. i had packed up the albums when the girls were young. When the youngest became a teen and was interested in music, her jaw hit the floor upon hearing a Rega 3 instead of a CD. She's heard my YG and Magico speakers, but alas, she's a devout Wilson fan (heard the Sophias at a local store and fell in love). Already planning for her system as a 22 yo!! As an aside, the industry really is missing future women as audiophiles. They should be marketing them hard.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Microstrip
And what about the maxx 3 compared to the M 5 , i think i saw you selling a pair a couple of years ago on the net ??

Night and day, as the audiophiles say. The Maxx 3 had a forward balance, with lots of presence, sometimes holographic and punch in the bass. The M5 shined for its exceptional layering, fine detail and depth of image - a great speaker for classic music. I appreciated the string tone of the M5 a lot. Please consider that I owned the Maxx3 for a couple of years, the several times I listened to the M5 was not in my system, although I knew the room and system pretty well.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
i hope they are. we have another audiophile in the house, a potential client :)
View attachment 27135

I've always liked the M5. And those seem to fit in well with the room and artwork. It reminds me of the pre-war apartments in NYC. I think I notice some Transparent Audio speaker cables. I like that particular pairing, and recently noticed at the Magico factory, that they have Transparent cables hooked up to their giant CAT tube amps in their SOTA listening room. Your system must sound great.

mcduman

Aug 9, 2014
i heard the s5 mkii yesterday and they are sensational speakers.even better than the s7 for my tastes after a brief listen. a very big mistake appears to be corrected

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
i heard the s5 mkii yesterday and they are sensational speakers.even better than the s7 for my tastes after a brief listen. a very big mistake appears to be corrected

Very big mistake?

Doctor O

Jul 31, 2012

Mcduman,

Curious, in what ways did you find the s5 mkii better than the s7?

mcduman

Aug 9, 2014
i dont know whether it is the new driver set or the curved top plate or whatever, but the mkii and s7 sound like two different speakers to me. top end is more airy and the sound comes more easily and freely out of the enclosure, a quality I would normally associate with high efficiency speakers. my musical diet is almost exclusively contemporary classical, free jazz, i.e 21th century stuff that does away with melody, harmony or rhythm. so i look at the "freedom from the box" aspect and flow when listening to equipment. s7 could cater for more traditional music/listeners but from where i look their sound is more deeply rooted in their enclosures and have less ease and less flow.

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
i dont know whether it is the new driver set or the curved top plate or whatever, but the mkii and s7 sound like two different speakers to me. top end is more airy and the sound comes more easily and freely out of the enclosure, a quality I would normally associate with high efficiency speakers. my musical diet is almost exclusively contemporary classical, free jazz, i.e 21th century stuff that does away with melody, harmony or rhythm. so i look at the "freedom from the box" aspect and flow when listening to equipment. s7 could cater for more traditional music/listeners but from where i look their sound is more deeply rooted in their enclosures and have less ease and less flow.

The S7 and the S5 Mk2 have the same mids and trebles (not sure about the bass). Did you listen in the same set up?

mcduman

Aug 9, 2014
hi cannata,

the drivers are actually different as per the official magico literature. so is the driver configuration. mk ii midrange unit is below the tweeter. i heard them in a similar setup yes

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
hi cannata,

the drivers are actually different as per the official magico literature. so is the driver configuration. mk ii midrange unit is below the tweeter. i heard them in a similar setup yes

They are the same. I researched the matter before buying the S5 Mk2 (I was considering the S7, but it was out of my price range - I was very happy to hear the drivers are the same, I like the S7 very much).
Not sure why they give drivers different model numbers, but the S1 Mk2, S5 Mk2 and S7 all have the same tweeters and the S5Mk 2 and S7 have the same mid.

mcduman

Aug 9, 2014
Congratulations for the mk ii, it is a very good choice and the speaker I would pick from the s series regardless of price. Let's see what the m3 brings to the table

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
Congratulations for the mk ii, it is a very good choice and the speaker I would pick from the s series regardless of price. Let's see what the m3 brings to the table

Thank you, I can't wait, and if they are better then the S7, I wont complain :D. Don't think I want to hear the M3, seriously, not for some time now...

Doctor O

Jul 31, 2012
Thank you, I can't wait, and if they are better then the S7, I wont complain :D. Don't think I want to hear the M3, seriously, not for some time now...

Thanks for your feedback mcduman

Cannata, let us know what you think when yours come in!

Andrew

caesar

May 30, 2010
Cannata,

I'm not sure if this is progress as far as you are concerned, but here's a little tidbit from Fremer's recent blog. As you can tell, Mr. Fremer actually is not afraid to speak his mind, unlike the stale characters that Wolf uses as his pet parrots...

"...Also in attendance was Magico's Alon Wolf, who, in the upstairs listening room was debuting the new Magico M3 speaker (appx. $82,000). Electronics were CH Precision, C1 DAC/Pre-amp, D1 SACD/CD drive, L1 preamplifier, P1 phono preamplifier, M1 mono-blocks and X1 power-supply, The turntable was the DeBaer with Ortofon MC Anna. Cabling was AudioQuest Wel signature.

As I told Mr. Wolff after sitting through his demo for consumers, I thought it was too loud and the musical choices not sufficiently varied to show off the speakers' capabilities. The people who design and/or own companies are not necessarily the people who should do musical demos!

This is something I learned a long time ago that this experience only confirmed and I wasn't shy in telling him. Members of the San Francisco Audio Society also in attendance agreed. However, obvious from the demo was the superb sonics of the newly developed tweeter and the room's big mid bass hump that was not the speaker's fault, but why play the system sufficiently loud to excite it?

Later after the crowds had mostly left, Mr. Wolf and I listened to 96/24 vinyl rips I'd brought on a USB stick, including the entire second side of an original UK pressing of Abbey Road. Wherever I start that side, it always ends up going for the entire side!

Wolf's reference was the recent stereo re-master and this rip just made him shake his head in disbelief. The sound produced by this system was very, very impressive in every way. These speakers do what Magico does best but for a very "reasonable" cost compared to some of the line's more expensive products: superb linearity and revelation of inner-detail. The room issues prevented any kind of accurate take on the speaker's bottom end.

However, it was the downstairs system located in a big entry room that you really couldn't call a "listening room" and which had no business sounding as it did in that location, that really impressed me. It consisted of a pair of Kharma Exquisite Midi-Grand loudspeakers, CH Precision electronics, the aforementioned Spiral Groove SG 1.2/Kiseki Purple Heart combo that I set up and Audioquest Wel Signature interconnects and Kharma Grand Reference speaker cables..."

I wonder if they smoked a big, fat J before putting the Beatles on. It is San Francisco, after all. :) :)

Read more at http://www.analogplanet.com/content...dio-systems-san-francisco#5eLfg6CHLQ8Qab4M.99

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
Cannata,

I'm not sure if this is progress as far as you are concerned, but here's a little tidbit from Fremer's recent blog. As you can tell, Mr. Fremer actually is not afraid to speak his mind, unlike the stale characters that Wolf uses as his pet parrots...
Been busy listening to my new S5 Mk2, it is the honeymoon phase, and I am in still in shock to how good they are, did not expect such and improvement over the Mk1. I sure hope JA will review them, will see if he agrees ;)
Read your link; MF is just about the only guy who is not going gaga after the new M3, but then again he never did for any Magico product, so it is just as predictable. They all speak their mind, the question is what kind of mind do they have to speak of :rolleyes:

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing