Stereophile Recommended Components: 2019 Fall Edition

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Seems hip to take pot shots at Stereophile these days, but I find the list interesting every 6 months.

Morning Keith,

I can assure you I am neither hip nor do I derive anything from any pot shots. I have mainly given up reading mainstream hifi press myself. I do however enjoy some of Fremer’s online articles and vids though.

Best.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Morning Keith,

I can assure you I am neither hip nor do I derive anything from any pot shots. I have mainly given up reading mainstream hifi press myself. I do however enjoy some of Fremer’s online articles and vids though.

Best.
There’s guys out there who can clearly write and some are seemingly great characters as well but just somehow whatever independent and expositional values that used to carry through along with the mixed realities of commercial press just seemed to have eroded so that the commercial content and formula is mostly just left too exposed now. I imagine it’s hard to make online media pay for itself and that must clearly be frustrating for everyone who works in it.

parkcaka

Sep 11, 2016
Istanbul
Stereophile's "Recommended Components" feature is 55 years old. It is older than me.

I read it time to time to remember what is out there, see if I miss something new/old and never use it as a guide to buy components.

I respect it even for the fact that some people are carrying this feature after 55 years. This is nearly a tradition now. It has no harm for anybody since we are all wise enough not to have a purchase based on a magazine feature. It's just nice to have it. It is something familiar in this hobby. It's part of our audiophile culture. It has value for that.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Stereophile's "Recommended Components" feature is 55 years old. It is older than me.

I read it time to time to remember what is out there, see if I miss something new/old and never use it as a guide to buy components.

I respect it even for the fact that some people are carrying this feature after 55 years. This is nearly a tradition now. It has no harm for anybody since we are all wise enough not to have a purchase based on a magazine feature. It's just nice to have it. It is something familiar in this hobby. It's part of our audiophile culture. It has value for that.

I actually like the concept of the feature a lot. Would be great if it made more sense though in terms of what appears where and why.

AJ Soundfield

Aug 5, 2015
Tampa FL
Actually this list does have a criteria that defines precisely :)what it means by each classification:
E.g. Class A:
"Best attainable sound" for a component of its kind, almost without practical considerations; "the least musical compromise." A Class A system is one for which you don't have to make a leap of faith to believe that you're hearing the real thing.

It was a perfect illustration of a load of rubbish I grant you that!
I think you're being overly harsh and dismissive on subjectivity, but I've yet to see an audiophile who understands the term. This type thread (and perfectly embodied quotes above) epitomizing.;)

cheers,

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014

55 years of tradition is more of an argument to hold it up to the highest values. You shouldn’t need your readers to be asking for something better, you should be leading the way.

Reactions: bonzo75 and tima

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I think you're being overly harsh and dismissive on subjectivity, but I've yet to see an audiophile who understands the term. This type thread (and perfectly embodied quotes above) epitomizing.;)

cheers

AJ
Please explain.

cheers

Tao

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Big effort.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
So you understand this and no other audiophile really does?

AJ Soundfield

Aug 5, 2015
Tampa FL
So you understand this and no other audiophile really does?
I'm not an audiophile.
Nor the thread subject (though that switch was inevitable).
If Stereophiles list is "rubbish", then so is every other subjectivists. Withough cognizance of course. ;)

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Did they like your speakers?

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Subjectivity comes in grades. Are you without commercial interest? And if you aren’t an audiophile why are you here? Said with love.

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Stereophile’s Recommended component list , is usually being loved by those who see their equipment listed there, and hated by the rest.
The first group is also recognizing Fremer as the ultimate objective reviewer until the moment that they will enter into the second group.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

cheers,

No probs - I think I am being perfectly rational as it seems do other WBF members.

Your repetitious attempts to convey that I (and other audiophiles) don’t understand “subjectivity” is frankly absurd. This list is a disorganised and irrelevant pile of nonsensical twaddle imho ymmv. No problem if you think I am harsh - I think I am just calling it out for what it is. As I said, I do enjoy the online writing on Stereophile and vids but hopefully (at least to me) this list is reworked.

What I do find strange is your motive for the need to defend this list?

AJ Soundfield

Aug 5, 2015
Tampa FL
Subjectivity comes in grades.
In the mind of the beholder/audiophile.

Are you without commercial interest?
My name, signature and your own question about my speakers says otherwise. No ties to Stereophile, lists, or otherwise.

And if you aren’t an audiophile why are you here?
About us
  • What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio convertors (DACS), turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.
Said with love.
But of course.:)

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I’d suggest the difference between pure subjectivity and commercial interest mainly lies in the notion of self interest and underlying opportunity. Us poor audiophiles don’t even understand the very basic concepts like subjectivity. We are lucky to have you here to better explain it to us.

AJ Soundfield

Aug 5, 2015
Tampa FL
Your repetitious attempts to convey that I (and other audiophiles) don’t understand “subjectivity” is frankly absurd. This (purely subjective) list is a disorganised and irrelevant pile of nonsensical twaddle imho ymmv.
The cognizance part is insurmountable, but ok.

As I said, I do enjoy the online writing on Stereophile and vids but hopefully (at least to me) this list is reworked.
Why don't you help them with a "corrected" subjective list of "grades", so they know the error of their subjective ways?
I certainly don't know the definitive answer list, they may not either, if it exists only in minds. Unless it doesn't??

What I do find strange is your motive for the need to defend this list?
I'm not "defending" the list. There is nothing to "defend"...when one can comprehend subjectivity. YMMV.

cheers

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing