Stunning sounding high res files

I didn't mean it that way, trust me.

Kenny Burrell Midnight Blue AIFF 24/192 from HDTracks. Magnificent sound and great music to boot. I can't imagine the 2 channel master tape could sound any better. The mastering is that good.
Do you know that when you order AIFF or WAV from HDTracks they actually send compressed files (FLAC or ALAC) and the downloader program immediately converts the completed file to the purchased format?

Sibelius, symphonies nos 1 & 4, Minnesota Orchestra, Osmo Vanska, Bis, 24/96. Inter alia beautiful sounding strings.

No I didn't. However, it still sounds amazing. I have been buying most of my stuff from Prostudiomasters recently. How about them?

Stravinsky, the song of the nightingale, the firebird suite, the rite of the spring, Minnesota Orchestra, Eije Oue, Reference Recordings, 24/176.4. As usual with the recordings of 'prof' Johnson: huge dynamics, large soundstage and a very transparent recording. Just listening to it and to put it in one word: beautiful!

Last edited:
An old recording that was remastered and sounds fantastic: Tchaikovsky, the nutcracker, Previn, London Symphony Orchestra, Emi, 24/96. These older recordings have a beautiful 'aura' that most modern recordings simply miss.

Tchaikovsky, ballet suites, Karajan, Wiener Philharmoniker, Decca (remaster), 24/96. See my former comment: although the strings are now and then a little bit rough, this is a beautiful recording.

Szymanowski, stabat mater, harnasie, BBC Symphony Orchestra and BBC Symphony Chorus, Edward Gardner, Chandos, 24/96 file. Listen in particular to the stabat mater: beautiful performance by soprano Lucy Crowe and other singers; gorgeous music. Silky string tone.

I would appreciate contributions from other audiophiles so that we can learn from eachothers experiences. I suppose much more members enjoy high res files than the ones that have contributed so far.

A/C, I guess lots of people are into DSD as well. I am waiting on Matej's list of stunning DSD albums for a few months now!

Keep us posted Wisnon. Still enjoying the cd selection you send me a while ago so I would love to be informed about stunning sounding dsd albums. Btw, most of the Channel Classics dsd recordings are very impressive indeed.

Very true.

I will keep you in the loop once he publishes the list on monoandstereo.com

Just listening to Mozart's requiem performed by the Dunedin Consort directed by John Butt. Linn 24/192 file. Beautiful played and gorgeous sound.

+1. I agree it is an excellent recording and performance.
Mozart-Requiem-Reconstructio.jpg

John Butt's approach with the Dunedin Consort, though, is different. He maintains that whatever the weaknesses in Süssmayr's work, he did at least know Mozart, and the version that he came up with proved hugely influential for the next two centuries.

The Dunedin version is described as a "reconstruction of the first performance" – in other words, an attempt to realise the score as Süssmayr completed it, and which was heard at the benefit concert for Mozart's widow, Constanze, in Vienna in 1793. As Butt points out, however, there may have been an even earlier performance of the score that Mozart completed, at his own funeral in 1791, and a reconstruction of that performance, which would have consisted just of the Requiem Aeternam and the Kyrie, with the likely forces – eight singers, with single wind and lower strings but doubled violins – is also included on this disc.

The choir and orchestra used for the reconstruction of the 1793 complete performance is larger – a choir of 16, including soloists, and an orchestra of 30, including a fortepiano continuo. Butt's account is as much an exploration of the sound world that the 1793 audience would have experienced as it is of the rights and wrongs of what Süssmayr did. Anyone used to a suave choral sound in performances of the Requiem might be surprised by the almost granular texture here, in which every voice makes its own distinctive contribution, and by the pungency with which the orchestral writing registers. There's a real energy, with tremendous climaxes that belie the scale of the forces involved. It's not going to be the last word on what will remain the unsolvable riddle of Mozart's final masterpiece, but it's a salutary corrective to some of the academic speculation.
Andrew Clements, the Guardian

Stravinsky, the song of the nightingale, the firebird suite, the rite of the spring, Minnesota Orchestra, Eije Oue, Reference Recordings, 24/176.4. As usual with the recordings of 'prof' Johnson: huge dynamics, large soundstage and a very transparent recording. Just listening to it and to put it in one word: beautiful!
I agree; Reference Recordings and prof Johson really know what they are doing.
The Symphonic Dances was nominated for best sounding album back in 2001, I would nominate it today as well.
RR%2096s.jpg

http://www.referencerecordings.com/

Wolfgang Muthspiel, Larry Grenadier, Brian Blade, Driftwood, ECM, 24/96. Listen to eg the first track called Joseph and you will understand immediately why this is such a fine recording.

Bach, suites nos. 1, 2 and 3, Hopkinson Smith, Naive, 24/96. Bach beautiful suites played beautifully on a theorbo with sound to match. This recording is very transparent so you you will hear Hopkinson Smith making quite some (breathing) noise but what the heck if someone plays as good as he does.

Bach, suites nos. 1, 2 and 3, Hopkinson Smith, Naive, 24/96. Bach beautiful suites played beautifully on a theorbo with sound to match. This recording is very transparent so you you will hear Hopkinson Smith making quite some (breathing) noise but what the heck if someone plays as good as he does.

Very well played indeed; Found it on you tube;

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing