Stunning sounding high res files

With endless tears, Johanette Zomer soprano/Fred Jacobs lute and theorbe, music of Johnson, Lawes, Humfrey and Purcell, Channel Classics, 24/192. Fantastic (transparent and dynamic) recording. The recording is so revealing that the breathing of Fred Jacobs can easily be noted, in particular during the tracks in which he plays solo.

Last edited:
As mentioned elsewhere on the WBF: Smoke & mirrors, Vanish, Yarlung records is a beautiful recorded album. Do not know quite what to think of the music though but maybe that is just me as I am primarely a classical music lover. But listen eg to the second and last track of this album: very lifelike and dynamic. I have listened to the 24/88.2 file but this is a dsd recording so it will probably sound even better when it is played in dsd (256). Hopefully i will be able to find this out next month or so when a dac able to play up to dsd 256 will be set up in my system.

With endless tears, Johanette Zomer soprano/Fred Jacobs lute and theorbe, music of Johnson, Lawes, Humfrey and Purcell, Channel Classics, 24/192. Fantastic (transparent and dynamic) recording. The recording is so revealing that the breathing of Fred Jacobs can easily be noted, in particular during the tracks in which he plays solo.

CCS_SA_26609_1.jpg
With Endless Teares

Too bad there's so much reverb on the voice. I prefer drier recordings.

It might be of interest to a lot of wbf readers to share our experiences with very good or even stunning sounding high res files. I propose to start with three suggestions in certain categories such as classical, jazz and pop/rock.

May I start with the following recommendations:

Classical:
- Channel Classics, Bach, Mass in B minor, Netherlands Bach society, 24/192
- Reference recordings, Respighi, Belkis, Dance of the Gnomes, The pines of Rome 24/176.4
- 2l, Schola Solensis, Psallat ecclisia medieval Norwegian sequences 24/192

Pop/Rock
- 2l, Hoff Ensemble, Quiet winter night 24/192
- Muddy Waters, Folk singer 24/192
- M.A recordings, Sera una nocha - la secunda 24/176.4

Hi Audiocrack,

If I may, for those who may not be familiar with Soundkeeper Recordings, I'd like to suggest checking our the catalog.
While the first release was recorded at 24/96, all since then were recorded at 24/192. Only two microphones, arranged in a stereo array, are used to pick up the event. No multimic'ing, no overdubs, no mixing, no processing and no compression of any kind are used. What leaves the mics is essentially the finished product. Releases are available in 7 formats, from pressed CD all the way to 24/192 files-on-disc (often autographed by the artist).

Some videos from the most recent recording sessions (for "Winds of Change"):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MFnxLYTHOU

https://www.youtube.com/embed/22U4piPll5U

Best regards,
Barry
www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
www.soundkeeperrecordings.wordpress.com
www.barrydiamentaudio.com

Last edited:
Hi Audiocrack,

If I may, for those who may not be familiar with Soundkeeper Recordings, I'd like to suggest checking our the catalog.
While the first release was recorded at 24/96, all since then were recorded at 24/192. Only two microphones, arranged in a stereo array, are used to pick up the event. No multimic'ing, no overdubs, no mixing, no processing and no compression of any kind are used. What leaves the mics is essentially the finished product. Releases are available in 7 formats, from pressed CD all the way to 24/192 files-on-disc (often autographed by the artist).

Some videos from the most recent recording sessions (for "Winds of Change"):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MFnxLYTHOU

https://www.youtube.com/embed/22U4piPll5U

Best regards,
Barry

Of course, your are most welcome Barry. Have not heard any of your?/these recordings so cannot comment based on own experiences.

$45 is a bit steep for a recording which is what Barry and MA charge. I realize they are on DVDs but I would rather have downloads as a cheaper option.

$45 is a bit steep for a recording which is what Barry and MA charge. I realize they are on DVDs but I would rather have downloads as a cheaper option.

Hi Joe,

I understand. Incidentally, Reference Recordings and perhaps a few others also charge the same for their 4x rate recordings on disc.

I can't speak for the other labels, only my own. In addition to being a very small, artisan company that does not enjoy the economies of scale a larger company would, Soundkeeper seeks to ensure that our musicians are adequately remunerated for their efforts. Also, our high res discs are burned one at a time, to the customer's order for either .aif or .wav format. This takes time, which we deem part of the process if we're going to deliver the very best quality I know how to deliver.

We'll certainly consider downloads when sufficient bandwidth is widely available so that the raw PCM files can be uploaded and downloaded within a reasonable time. This doesn't exist yet in anywhere near enough places and rather than send the files in what we consider a compromised format, we choose to avoid downloads. We don't make as much money but getting rich was never part of the business plan for Soundkeeper. Delivering the best sounding recordings I know how to make and ensuring our artist are compensated well beyond industry standards are the mission. (Besides, I haven't yet figured out how to offer the autographs that the artists add to the first 25 copies of each format as downloads. ;-})

Best regards,
Barry

Last edited:
You can't offer the aiff or wav files you burn to a DVD via download? Any thought given to selling them through itrax?

You can't offer the aiff or wav files you burn to a DVD via download? Any thought given to selling them through itrax?

Hi Joe,

As of January 2015, we still find that downloading a 4+Gigabyte 24/192 album in a raw PCM format just takes too long to be practical. The bandwidth just isn't as widely available as it will hopefully be one day. I think that is why others compress their files into FLACs.

I do not know how iTrax works. That said, as far as I do know, those services that currently claim to offer raw PCM in the form of .aif or .wav files, as opposed to formats like FLAC, are really sending FLAC files, which their "download manager" software then expands on the customer's machine. Personally, I don't find this acceptable for Soundkeeper (as I wouldn't purchase such for my own listening -- I buy my high res on DVDs and then load it onto my server).

Aside from the fact that I'm don't want our files to undergo the extra conversions, our business model is for direct sales, so that the artists get the compensation we want them to have, without compromising this by introducing a third-party.

Best regards,
Barry

I'd be willing to bet that more than 2/3 of the US population could download 4 GB in under one hour, which is less than the playing time. All that would require is a download speed of 8 megabits per second, supposedly available to more than 75% of the US population. Almost all metropolitan areas with greater than 50,000 people have available 30 mbps or better today. Regardless, it's Barry's decision.

I'd be willing to bet that more than 2/3 of the US population could download 4 GB in under one hour, which is less than the playing time. All that would require is a download speed of 8 megabits per second, supposedly available to more than 75% of the US population. Almost all metropolitan areas with greater than 50,000 people have available 30 mbps or better today. Regardless, it's Barry's decision.
I downloaded a 5GB DSD128 album this morning in ten minutes flat.

Hi Joe,

As of January 2015, we still find that downloading a 4+Gigabyte 24/192 album in a raw PCM format just takes too long to be practical. The bandwidth just isn't as widely available as it will hopefully be one day. I think that is why others compress their files into FLACs.

I do not know how iTrax works. That said, as far as I do know, those services that currently claim to offer raw PCM in the form of .aif or .wav files, as opposed to formats like FLAC, are really sending FLAC files, which their "download manager" software then expands on the customer's machine. Personally, I don't find this acceptable for Soundkeeper (as I wouldn't purchase such for my own listening -- I buy my high res on DVDs and then load it onto my server).

Aside from the fact that I'm don't want our files to undergo the extra conversions, our business model is for direct sales, so that the artists get the compensation we want them to have, without compromising this by introducing a third-party.

Best regards,
Barry

Barry, you are not suggesting that converting to FLAC and back has any detrimental sonic effects, now are you?

Hi Andre,

I'm not suggesting anything. I'm saying I don't want Soundkeeper files to undergo any additional processing whatsoever.
And I'm saying FLAC isn't for me.

Best regards,
Barry

Understood, but you really ARE suggesting something when you mention "additional processing".

FLAC as a delivery container is absolutely without question does no harm what so ever to the file. Certainly your customers can unpack it once they download.

But if you only want to sell WAVs, that is perfectly fine.

I think what some are suggesting here is locking in music files to a physical medium in 2015 is a bit odd.

But those wising to purchase your recordings know the drill, and I am sure they are happy.:cool:

Understood, but you really ARE suggesting something when you mention "additional processing".

FLAC as a delivery container is absolutely without question does no harm what so ever to the file. Certainly your customers can unpack it once they download.

But if you only want to sell WAVs, that is perfectly fine.

I think what some are suggesting here is locking in music files to a physical medium in 2015 is a bit odd.

But those wising to purchase your recordings know the drill, and I am sure they are happy.:cool:

Hi Andre,

I've already said I'm not suggesting anything at all. I saying flat out and directly that FLAC is not for me.
I understand you may feel differently about it than I do.

Best regards,
Barry

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing