Suggestions for NYC condo new dedicated line?

Avidlistener

Feb 18, 2013
@BlueFox thanks for the suggestion but my Niagara 7000 runs my entire system and is recommended to run that way, so I think I’ll only have the 1 line run.

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
My point is simple any manufactured product sold and used in the USA must be listed. having said this
safe usage outside of NEC code yields a better sound and Rex you know this. the IEC has a required line noise suppression inside it.
some feel it adds noise to remove does no harm and a possible better sound
any sold code compliment device like the one above must use a ARCH breaker for all outlets
the workaround is hard wired . Do you offer this ? any sold device for use in the USA if above 125 volts does not require an ARCH breaker and most all audio is better off at the higher voltage in the USA. most all grounding devices sold would work far better if they were used as the only point in grounding. but again code does not allow this method in a simple way.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
My point is simple any manufactured product sold and used in the USA must be listed. having said this
safe usage outside of NEC code yields a better sound and Rex you know this. the IEC has a required line noise suppression inside it.
some feel it adds noise to remove does no harm and a possible better sound
any sold code compliment device like the one above must use a ARCH breaker for all outlets
the workaround is hard wired . Do you offer this ? any sold device for use in the USA if above 125 volts does not require an ARCH breaker and most all audio is better off at the higher voltage in the USA. most all grounding devices sold would work far better if they were used as the only point in grounding. but again code does not allow this method in a simple way.
I am not quite sure what you are saying. Most of the time NEC is fine for audio. Its how the equipment is installed that causes it to lack in performance.

Yes AFCI breakers sound dull and lack some dynamics. And no one makes a good tamper proof receptacle. Those 2 items are a stumbling block to high perforance.

Power cords are also a hindrance to high performance. Direct connection of a branch circuit to equipment is far superior to a power cord. But its not legal.

I designed and have offered to one customer of mine an integrated power panel. Its a 225 Amp bussed pure copper phase, neutral and ground panel. I can plate in silver. The can is heavy steel and the bolt on breakers are rigidly supported to a bus that is extremely well damped. Its an over the top excellent product. It has 6 circuit breakers in it. Each connected to a dedicated duplex, twist lock or Neutrik PowerCon outlet. The panel would bolt to the wall between monoblocks and speakers. Even though it is UL listed and labeled, I am not sure the local authorities having jurisdiction won't say, replace the thermal mag with AFCI and tamper receptacles. I just don't know.

I have another version of that panel called a portable power panel. For it to be legal, it should be bolted to a rack. And I am in a gray area as far as using the item to its intended UL label.

So yea, I agree, there are area of the code that hinder audiophile from achieving optimum performance. But most of the code, especially the grounding section, if applied correctly is a solid and safe way to wire for high end audio.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
I'm in a NYC condo (old schoolhouse built in 1890's but converted- rewired in late 1980's

I want to install a single run 20 amp dedicated line. I'm told about all I can use is 10 gauge BX cable (named for the Bronx, where it was invented) since I'm going in wall for most of the 50' run.

I'm powering a Niagara 7000 that my entire system plugs into. I would like to terminate the run with an 10 Amp IEC and plug that directly into the Niagara, (even if it means I gave to have a duplex installed and wire it to the IEC myself later.

Any thoughts as to options and configurations? I imagine there isn't any way to create my own ground to pipes, etc.

Would love it if the audio grade power breakers made for Europe were available here, but seems there aren't any.
I realize my response is a bit late but wanted to offer a few thoughts.

First take the Niagara 7000 out of the equation. What is the real purpose of having dedicated lines?

I ask because after much experimentation, I've concluded that dedicated lines only serve one real benefit. And that's to ensure a high-current-drawing amplifier is getting enough juice to more accurately reproduce dynamics, complex, and/or higher volumes. Other than that, dedicated lines may help ever-so-slightly with in-house dimmers, appliances, etc but that's pretty much it. The tiger to tame is the noisy AC coming in from the street. And that really is it?

That said and presuming the Niagara 7000 is doing its job, your only real concern must be the amperage getting to the Niagara 7000.

The 10A IEC connector you want to install seems like a bad choice. The 10amp rating on the connector does nothing for you except perhaps overload or somehow break down because you're gonna exceed its 10amp rating. So I've no idea what you intend to accomplish with this decision. It's a 20amp dedicated circuit so you really need a 20amp IEC connector.

10 gauge or 12 gauge Romex really ought not matter much.

The one question I have for you is, how hungary is your amplifier? A pretty hungry amp requires enough juice at all times from its own dedicated line or its dynamics could suffer greatly. And if you have such a beast, then even a low-current-drawing component like a pre-amp sharing that same circuit could be just enough to rob the amp of its required juice.

Avidlistener

Feb 18, 2013
Hi thanks for the input. The project has been delayed a bit. I am was talking about doin a 20 amp IEC. 10 gauge is the wiring.

My understanding is that a dedicated line with no breaks lowers resistance.
The Niagara can give as much as 90amps for transients, so I have no qualms about using it for amps. I actually noticed an increase in dynamics after getting it (i think what I noticed most was micro dynamics)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing