Super3 - a supercapacitor LPS, by Farad Power Supplies

asdffx

Jul 9, 2011
Seem there will be a ATX power release later.
And also higher amperage version with Dou output.

Charlie B.

Nov 8, 2017
Germany (100km north of Frankfurt)
Hello Adamaley,
the super3 is the standard version from their website. It feeds the internal HDPlex supply, no separate feeds except for the JPlay LAN card (fed by Sonore Ultracap 1) into a Lampizator Pacific LAN input.
My music computer is about five years old and based on a MSI J1900 I motherboard. It took me a lot of reading and some efford to assemble and install, I love what it does musically, but I can see a new one in the not too distant future, maybe next year...
Best regards
Charlie

Reactions: adamaley

Jesus R

May 6, 2016
Hello Adamaley,
the super3 is the standard version from their website. It feeds the internal HDPlex supply, no separate feeds except for the JPlay LAN card (fed by Sonore Ultracap 1) into a Lampizator Pacific LAN input.
My music computer is about five years old and based on a MSI J1900 I motherboard. It took me a lot of reading and some efford to assemble and install, I love what it does musically, but I can see a new one in the not too distant future, maybe next year...
Best regards
Charlie
FYI Sonore and UpTone Audio are two different companies. Sonore makes a Rendu series, Module series, and linear power supply, but not an UltraCap.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
As an FYI, I recently acquired a pair of Super3s to power my Chord Hugo HMS and TT2. Very significant upgrade. I should mention also that the quality of the power cord matters - but even more-affordable cords like the Shunyata Venom V12 NR bring nice gains.

Charlie B.

Nov 8, 2017
Germany (100km north of Frankfurt)
FYI Sonore and UpTone Audio are two different companies. Sonore makes a Rendu series, Module series, and linear power supply, but not an UltraCap.

You are right, of course. My appologies!

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
Guys, for all the sceptics out there like me who feel whether the Farad is an upgrade, I too was sitting on the fence as to whether it will bring any upgrade in SQ since I was already very happy with my sound using the sps-500, do yourself a favor and get a Farad, you will not go wrong. Its an amazing piece of gear. Totally worth the upgrade. I have made some Mundorf Silver/Gold DC cables for it but not using it right now.

Just cold out of the box using the supplied DC cable, you can hear the potential, it very quiet with a lot of oomph. Many thanks to Ken who pushed me over the line to get it as I was very sceptical of the increase in SQ. Thank you sir.

vjayh

May 19, 2012
Guys, for all the sceptics out there like me who feel whether the Farad is an upgrade, I too was sitting on the fence as to whether it will bring any upgrade in SQ since I was already very happy with my sound using the sps-500, do yourself a favor and get a Farad, you will not go wrong. Its an amazing piece of gear. Totally worth the upgrade. I have made some Mundorf Silver/Gold DC cables for it but not using it right now.

Just cold out of the box using the supplied DC cable, you can hear the potential, it very quiet with a lot of oomph. Many thanks to Ken who pushed me over the line to get it as I was very sceptical of the increase in SQ. Thank you sir.
Interesting information- thanks for sharing. Looks like a great linear PS. Could I ask those of you who are using and happy with the performance, what component are you using on? Just curious if anyone is using on things like switches, routers, etc. and if there's a positive difference with using the Farad on networking components. Thanks for the feedback!

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
Interesting information- thanks for sharing. Looks like a great linear PS. Could I ask those of you who are using and happy with the performance, what component are you using on? Just curious if anyone is using on things like switches, routers, etc. and if there's a positive difference with using the Farad on networking components. Thanks for the feedback!
Hi,
One of the main reasons for my apprehension to getting a LPS was due to the fact that other LPS that I tried made me loose dynamics and speed big time, but I tell you what, the Farad is a speed demon. LOL. I am using it currently on my TX-Usb. Its highly probable my other 3 sps-500 will be put up for sale, I'll be keeping one for the router though.

LeBlanc

Aug 14, 2019
The Netherlands
I use the Farad with an EtherRegen. Gave a nice uptick in SQ compared to the standard PSU in my case. First used the standard DC cable with the Farad, later upgraded to Audio Sensibility Signature Silver DC cable. This gave an additional step up. It still amazes me how much impact the network stuff has on the overall SQ of my system.

Reactions: Abyss Man

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA

I have three Super3s. They are powering 1) Chord Hugo M-Scaler, 2) Chord Hugo TT2, and 3) Uptone EtherRegen. Each brought substantial improvements. The most surprising was how much the EtherRegen was improved with a Super3. The improvements impressed me as much as the EtherRegen itself.

The Super3 scales with a good power cord - and they don't have to be insanely expensive for you to hear a nice improvement. I'm using Shunyata Venom V12 NR with the two Super3s powering my Chord components. A Nordost Magus, which was the predecessor to the Blue Heaven is powering the Super3 powering the ER.

The DC cable matters too, of course. The Farad Level 2 copper is excellent and a nice step up from the free one they include. Even better is the Audio Sensibility Signature Silver.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA

Woo hoo - glad to hear it worked out for you!

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Great to hear the benefits of a LPSU. Curious why you did not explore Paul Hynes LPSUs as they are known to be amongst the best and a similar price?

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Great to hear the benefits of a LPSU. Curious why you did not explore Paul Hynes LPSUs as they are known to be amongst the best and a similar price?

They most certainly are among the best. But there's also a wait time for their products. Paul Hynes Design ships in batches so you have to wait for your supply to be part of the next batch

Farad ships as soon as they have a supply to send. I've been frankly stunned by how quickly Mattijs (of Farad) has acted on my orders. I placed an order for my last Super3 just before going to bed - and it had already been shipped by the time I woke up. Mattijs been incredibly responsive to my questions as well. He's earned my repeat business for sure. Paul Hynes Design would likely do so as well. It's fortunate for us that we have a few great options to pick from.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
They most certainly are among the best. But there's also a wait time for their products. Paul Hynes Design ships in batches so you have to wait for your supply to be part of the next batch.
Good things come to those that wait... ;-)

Great to hear you are happy and we have options as you said.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Good things come to those that wait... ;-)

Agree. It was a long wait for my first Super3 as I wanted a used one. Being so impressed by the first one it was an easy decision to next purchase a new one. Also I purchased a few items last year that required a very long wait (months to get my TT2). I swore I would never do that again.

The SR4T does allow one to select among various output voltages, which is a nice plus.

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
One can also add in different flavors from different makers to hear how things sound.

Varadero xl 1000 v

Nov 18, 2017
Good evening.
1 month ago I bought the Chord Hugo tt2 and I am absolutely satisfied with its performance, I think I made a very good purchase. I would now like to take the next step, this is the purchase of an external power supply. I have come up with Farad super 3.

I will show confidence in your opinions and I will buy it !! What should I expect to hear?

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
Good evening.
1 month ago I bought the Chord Hugo tt2 and I am absolutely satisfied with its performance, I think I made a very good purchase. I would now like to take the next step, this is the purchase of an external power supply. I have come up with Farad super 3.

I will show confidence in your opinions and I will buy it !! What should I expect to hear?
"What should I expect to hear?" Magic.
Upgrade the fuse as well. Orange SR is highly recommended by users though I'm on my spare SR20 fuse and it sounds really good..

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
I’m sorry, but my Farads are not with the Rhodium plated IEC plugs, no help there, sorry. As for the PC I’m using, they are Tellurium Silver. I have no experience with other cords TBH. I’m a Tellurium fan boy I’m afraid.

Do get the Orange fuse though, but be patient with it as it takes time to break in. Hope I was of help. Cheers.

Reactions: Varadero xl 1000 v

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing