Super3 - a supercapacitor LPS, by Farad Power Supplies

f.demello

Jun 16, 2018
"I first tried an older version of what is now the Nordost Blue Heaven. This brought a very nice improvement and is now the power cord in use on the Super3 powering my EtherRegen"

Hi Kenny - I'll second the Nordost Blue Heaven on the Farad Super 3

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Guys, the use of Farad Super3 on this thread has been 100% restricted to computer audio. I'd be looking at a 24V unit as LPS for my SOTA tt motor/speed controller. Does anyone have any comments or experience of this kind of use?

I do have a total thumbs up from someone using my precise tt setup who went for the Farad. I also have the opportunity of a custom build LPS using some very tasty components, but topping out at 3x cost of the Farad. I'm already using this custom LPS on my Soundsmith Straingauge cart energiser, and it easily beats stock wall wart, manufacturer DC supply and Vinnie Rossi Black Lightning battery psu.

My choice is now down to one of these two, Farad v custom order.

I remain pretty impressed re the Farad with the (lack of) noise data, and subjective SQ impressions described on this thread.

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
spiritofmusic I am using the Farad Super3 to power my Dereneville DAE 01 CL, I like it and it does a good job.

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
I spoke to Mattijs of Farad many months ago and he mentioned a higher output Farad LPS called Super12 (12V/12A) was in the works. You may want to find out from him how close it is to fruition.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
TooCool4, are you indeed using it on Derenville? That's good to hear
That's two out of two thumbs up for Farad on tt motors
And Derenville ain't chopped liver Lol
Did you actively choose Farad from other LPSs based on compares, or just reviews/word of mouth?
What did it replace?

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
On a separate note, is anyone interested in trading a lower powered Farad for my 12V Farad Super 3? If so, please PM me. I use it on my modem and it runs super hot - I'd prefer one with lower power

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
spiritofmusic I am using it with the Dereneville motor, the Farad replace the SMPS the unit came with. I wrote about it here

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
TC4, at some point maybe revert back to SMPS, and report on the comparison, thanks.

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
Sure I'll do that when I get some free time spiritofmusic

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Appreciated...although I'm sure I know the answer already. This LPS upgrade is kinda me done on a long and winding tt upgrade path, started in 2012, save for upgraded tonearm wire. My new motor is stellar, but I know there's a hint of greyness and steeliness in the sound that will likely be eradicated by the LPS.

To know that such a stellar motor as Derenville fully demonstrates benefits of the Farad aids my decision here.

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
I wonder for something like a TT motor, if a Farad would be significantly better than something like an Acopian laboratory linear power supply. We use them in our labs for critical testing scenarios. Four wire output with sense lines, 1/4 mV ripple, .005 line and load regulation. I imagine that for audio signal carrying circuits a LPS designed for audio use could well be better, but I’m thinking for a motor a good lab LPS like this might not be that much different.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Plunge taken...gonna order 24V 3A Super3 for my SOTA tt motor. Will likely go Sablon for uprated DC cbl at later point. Everyone's input on the Farad is so positive and Mattijs's responsiveness to Qs fills me with confidence that this is going to be a positive move.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I wonder for something like a TT motor, if a Farad would be significantly better than something like an Acopian laboratory linear power supply. We use them in our labs for critical testing scenarios. Four wire output with sense lines, 1/4 mV ripple, .005 line and load regulation. I imagine that for audio signal carrying circuits a LPS designed for audio use could well be better, but I’m thinking for a motor a good lab LPS like this might not be that much different.
Tony, you need to point me to one you'd suggest...there are literally dozens on the industrial gear websites.

tony22

Nov 4, 2019

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
About to order the 24V/2.2A Super3.
Have all you Farad afficionados gone for the Furutech rhodium inlet option?
I know rhodium sharply divides opinion.

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
I like the sound of rhodium, but I did not bother ordering the unit with the rhodium inlet. I don’t know but I was thinking, it probably would not make that much of a difference to a motor other electronics maybe.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
My thought is that none of the IEC inlets on my other gear are anything other than stock, and I'm never gonna change them to rhodium, so to be consistent, not to order the Farad w rhodium.

My good buddy here Blue58 hates rhodium with a vengeance, I'll be curious to get his take.

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
My good buddy here Blue58 hates rhodium with a vengeance, I'll be curious to get his take.
I guess it’s a matter of taste, I have rhodium on my headphone jacks and connectors. I prefer the sound when I have compared it to gold.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
+1 on that.
My Furutech sockets are all Rhodium.
I may indeed go Rhodium option on the Farad.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Super3 24V ordered w Furu rhodium IEC and SR Orange fuse.
As we say in UK, "I've treated myself" lol.

Also ordered Sablon DC lead for good measure.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing