SUT for Ortofon Verismo?

No, CH doesn't have a SUT inside. I mentioned in order to answer @Delkat question. CH P1 is a solid state phono based on current amplification (also has voltage amplification option) and is not related with any SUT or tube MM phono. As a response to @Delkat question, I meant I haven't listened Channel D (perhaps I did listen but I don't remember) but I don't think it's better than CH P1 and CH P1 is not better than best SUT+tube MM phono IMHO.

I don't know, cause it's hard to describe quality, especially quality that translates into good sound but they usually can go very low on cartridge impedance.
Thank you! I wasn't trying to be confrontational just questioning to gain from your experience.

I agree it is hard to describe quality other than you know when you hear it! Unfortunately that difficulty often leads us to trying things that are more expensive because they must be better !

Have you posted your system somewhere? I don't see it in your signature. Just wondering what you are using presently.

Reactions: mtemur
IMHO/IME, it’s possible to use cartridges with internal impedances up to about one-third of the reflected load when using a high-quality SUT. For example, a SUT with a 1-ohm tap, a 1:63 turns ratio, and a 12-ohm reflected load can accept cartridges with internal impedances up to approximately 4-ohms.
@mtemur - Ok, I think I’m getting this now. The 10x or 20x rule of thumb referred to earlier is in reference to the internal impedance of the cart so, for the Verismo, that would be 70ohm and 140ohm as a “target” load that the cart sees reflected by the SUT based on the 47K ohm input impedance of the phono pre divided by the square of the turns ratio. You reference “a SUT with a 1-ohm tap”. Is this 1-ohm tap another characteristic of the SUT design that needs to be accounted for? I see in the EMAI SUTs they seem to have ways to add resistors externally to change this characteristic. Does this just add to the reflected impedance seen by the cart, i.e. another way to tweak impedance to maximize performance?

@mtemur - Ok, I think I’m getting this now. The 10x or 20x rule of thumb referred to earlier is in reference to the internal impedance of the cart so, for the Verismo, that would be 70ohm and 140ohm as a “target” load that the cart sees reflected by the SUT based on the 47K ohm input impedance of the phono pre divided by the square of the turns ratio. You reference “a SUT with a 1-ohm tap”. Is this 1-ohm tap another characteristic of the SUT design that needs to be accounted for? I see in the EMAI SUTs they seem to have ways to add resistors externally to change this characteristic. Does this just add to the reflected impedance seen by the cart, i.e. another way to tweak impedance to maximize performance?
I think adding resistors to a SUT is causing new problems while solving others. Investing in a high quality SUT and not tweaking makes more sense to me. It’s not a rule but better SUTs usually have higher turns ratios (low impedance taps), just like higher end cartridges. Internal impedances of cartridges go lower while the sound quality increases. Again it’s not a rule. For example EMT silver SUT sounds very good to my ears and very high quality but it offers up to 1:10.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu