SUT suggestions for Hana EL

Samlet

Aug 10, 2022
Hello all, first post here. I am currently upgrading my very old system and have decided my new MC cartridge will be a Hana EL. For my SUT am currently looking at a Pro-Ject Phono Box DS2. Wondering if this is a good match. Feeding into a Harmon Kardon 3770. Have checked specs, but can’t tell if this is a good match or not. The DS2 seems to have a lot of adjustability, but looking at the specs for both… I just can‘t make sense of it. Any help or suggestions for alt SUTs are welcome. Thank you in advance.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Do you want a SUT ( step up transformer ) or a phono preamplifier?

For Phono preamps under a $1k first place I would look is:
Hagerman

Reactions: Jim Hagerman

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Echoing Solypsa's post: a SUT is placed between the MC cartridge and an MM phono stage, while an active MC phono stage would be placed between the cartridge and a line input in your amplifier.
Anyway, technically you could consider both options: your HK integrated also sports an MM phono stage. Now, based on your budget, you could either consider to buy a SUT (you can find many used ones on eBay from Japan and spend little money) or, spending a bit more, get an active phono stage that is suitable with your Hana.

I also have a Hana (SL model) and I use a 1:10 Denon SUT before the MM stage of my Devialet. I opted for this option because the phono input on the Devialet is excellent as MM stage, but mediocre as MC high gain stage. I don't know your integrated so I don't know if you could be happy with its MM stage and just get a SUT.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing