Symposium Acoustics

F208Frank

Mar 27, 2020
New York
Anyone like these racks or had experience with them, they are USA made and based in Jersey.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hi Frank, I'm a l/t user of their Isis rack and amp stands, shelves at Ultra spec and each one RollerBlock RB isolated, RB Juniors under all components, Svelte Shelves under smaller PSUs.

Highly recommended, under all my gear, other than Stacore passive isolation platforms under tt and balanced transformer, and Revopods footers under spkrs.

As I've upped the ante on my room and system, to the point where the smallest changes are audible, and more things hinder than help my sound, the Symposium stuff is staying put.

It's proved to be hugely neutral and uncoloured. That is critical in my drive twds timbral accuracy and tonal discrimination btwn recordings, lp or cd.

Like the best ancilliaries, it takes nothing away, and it adds nothing.

Critically as well, the company is a joy to deal with. Designer/MD Peter is hugely customer-centered, his level of communication and technical advice second to none in this industry.

Indeed, on an allied conversation re R2R tape, he helped on a decision that could easily have been a hugely expensive anti-climax.

Symposium Acoustics have proved to be one of the most critical steps in the evolution of my system from promising yet flawed, to fully realised.

Last edited:

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
Hi F,
i used Symposium Acoustics platforms and Rollerballs extensively and was really happy with both the quality of the products and the sound quality enhancements they produced. Spiritofmusic’s post above accurately summarizes my findings. Products that performed so well they remained in my system for many years

Last edited:
Reactions: Long Live Analog

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I've used plenty of symposium products over the years. I particularly like the ultra shelves. huge bang for the buck....

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
It's very hard to find neutral gear in hifi that doesn't feel like all the color hasn't been drained.

I tried a couple of pricier racks at the time, well regarded on this forum. One was neutral but insipid, one was colorful but deffo not neutral.

The Symposium just appeared to do nothing, yet music seemed more at ease and fully fleshed out. And as I've revealed more layers of music w all my other changes, the Symposium gear has been the foundation upon which it's all been built.

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
I use Symposium under my Avantgarde speakers with Stillpoints Ultra 5 footers with some ebony wood pads in b/w Stillpoints and Symposium.
I found this combination to be the best of everything else I’ve tried.
I also have Symposium wit Rollerblocks under the subs.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
My only Symposium direction which I changed in the end, was replacing stock spikes on my Zus w RollerBlocks/Svelte Shelves combination.

Like one or two other directions I've moved on from, initially in my old apartment the RBs/Sveltes worked under my Zus, but experimenting first w bespoke Lead footers, and then Arya Audio Revopods (here to the current day), the RBs proved redundant.

Other than the two alternative rack systems which were beaten by the Symposium, I've also tried a handful of footers, but none have been as consistently good as the RBs.

Sonic invisibility and system truthfulness are the twin traits of Symposium.

rockhopper

Sep 10, 2014
Malvern Worcestershire UK
Have dealt with Peter for a number of years.
Use Isis rack with top ultra/ rollerblock spec. The weight of this complete with all the equipment is 140kg and recently had some seismic corners from Townshend audio made to suit this weight. The standard Isis was superb.
The seismic isolation a worthwhile addition
I seem to have built up over the years quite a collection of Isis ultra shelves,
rollerblocks and legs of various lengths which is always handy when trying equipment.
Simply put its very well made and does exactly what it says on the tin.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Rockhopper, isn't Peter a joy to deal with? Really informative extended answers and within reason happy to discuss non-Symposium enquiries.

He was good enough to do a small custom size 4"x4"x0.3" Svelte isolation pad for under my tt rim drive pod isolation to replace stock Sorbothane, when many manufacturers would have passed.

F208Frank

Mar 27, 2020
New York
If I get the rack without the roller blocks will the stand be pointless?

My budget is only around $2500 for the rack so the foundations ultra is what I'm looking at.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well the RBs are the icing on the cake
At the v least get RB isolation at each tier
And then add RBs under gear at later date

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Symposium doesn't get much mention these days. They don't seem to be one of those companies that tries to re-invent themselves by deprecating existing products for newer hotness ad nauseam. A good thing, if you ask me. Many current Symposium products have been around for a decade or longer. And many do actually work quite well.

I was given a set of Critical Mass Center Stage 2 (CS2) footers to demo a while back. On a lark, I found a set of Symposium Rollerblock Jr footers to try out at the same time. All of these audiophile footer products definitely have audible differences under my components, but as to whether or not the differences are positive is in the ear of the beholder. What I found, in my system, was that the Rollerblock Jr performed better across the board. But the downside with Rollerblocks underneath components (especially a preamp) is their instability, unlike the captive bearing system of the CS2. Underneath a box that you don't need to touch, except maybe for turning on/off, Rollerblocks would probably not be an issue for most people. But under something like a preamp, they'd probably be hard to live with. On the other hand, some might be taken enough by what they bring to the table so as not to care.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Bazelio, the only issues really are v light or small footprint components using heavy power cords.

My Straingauge energiser is 9" x 6", just a few pounds. I did used to use it with a howser-like pwr cord, and stability was somewhat an issue w RBs.

However, with a more manageable cord, not an issue.

Components have some play on RBs, but truthfully this isn't an issue day to day, moderate- or high-mass pieces anchor themselves via weight even on RBs.

Otoh, a 0.5kg Townshend Allegri AVC was a bit wobbly on them.

F208Frank

Mar 27, 2020
New York
Good to see that the forum has SA owners, this would be my first rack, I got the foundations Ultra (retails 2500 usd) without any of the roller blocks, but I am only using this rack for my headphone set up. For now I plan not to use the roller blocks yet, but I hope the rack is not pointless without them.

I would imagine that most people use these racks for their speaker systems, for me I am using it with my headphone set up.

Antipodes CX/EX to Chord HMS to Chord DAVE to Woo Audio WA33 EE Amp

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Frank, I have one Foundations ampstand for my two big heavy tt/cart psu.s.

Like my Isis 3-tier stand (for cdp, pre, pre psu) and two ampstands (for tube monoblocks), the Foundation ampstand has RB isolation (btwn shelf and feet).

IMHO, try to stretch to inbuilt RB isolation at least every other tier. And then upgrade by adding to every tier, and then to RBs under each piece.

The Symposium stuff is perfectly good w no RB isolation, but it's design ethos is properly fulfilled by using at least one set of RBs in yr Foundation rack.

F208Frank

Mar 27, 2020
New York
So to understand it further, the roller blocks either go under the actual components itself or beneath the actual shelf? When the rack has 4 levels, how would the roller blocks go under the shelves since each tier has a "post"?

Just little confused as to whether roller blocks go under components or under each level on the rack, or BOTH?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Frank, the ones in the rack itself, btwn tiers, are called RollerBlock Modules I believe, sorry for the confusion.

So those are an integral part of the rack. Legs > RollerBlock Modules > tiers.

You can order rack without these, and incorporate them at a later date, up to a max of one set per tier.

RollerBlocks Juniors/HDSEs are free standing, and go under gear in groups of three, and can also be double stacked.

Last edited:

F208Frank

Mar 27, 2020
New York
Would you say roller block juniors/hdses are more important or roller block modules?

And just to clarify, roller block modules are made to use between tiers/levels, and roller block junior/hdses are made to be used with components correct?

Where do couplers come into play then? Are couplers only used at the very bottom of the rack on the floor?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Frank, it's kind of a mute point. The rack ethos is to have the Modules installed. Without them, the rack is really incomplete. The good news is that you don't have to isolate each tier, one set of Modules under the bottom tier will reasonably isolate three tiers.

My advice would be to prioritise one set of Modules at least in a three-tier rack, two sets in a four- or five-tier rack, then go to Modules on all tiers, and only then go RB Jnrs or HDSEs under gear, possibly double-stacking if you're feeling addicted at this point Lol.

F208Frank

Mar 27, 2020
New York
So basically you feel that roller block modules for the tiers are more important than the roller blocks for the actually components then right.

I would have imagined it being the other way around, in that component roller blocks being most important.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing