bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
65B0991C-51CD-44F2-B59F-D4C5B946176C.jpeg

F19E01BC-BE84-4B6C-A289-8A576E77E208.jpeg

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I am considering Thomas 10Y line and phono as well for sure.

I love the 6cb5a Mayer - only heard the stereo 2 chassis version and nearly bought it when the opportunity arose for the 46 monos. In some ways I preferred the punch and dynamics of the 6cb5a with see through resolution. Am sure it is a great choice for your new speakers.

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Beautiful system! Who built the horn boxes for you?
HF or LF ones?
Bass boxes were built by PBN Audio and multicellular horns by Markus Klug

Reactions: jeff1225

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
HF or LF ones?
Bass boxes were built by PBN Audio and multicellular horns by Markus Klug
Yes.. we talked in the phone. PBN also custom made my speakers as well. Congrats on the new speakers, I’m positive that the Fostex Super tweeter will be a great enhancement to your system.

Reactions: Maril555

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Yes.. we talked in the phone. PBN also custom made my speakers as well. Congrats on the new speakers, I’m positive that the Fostex Super tweeter will be a great enhancement to your system.
I remember you told me about the Fostex. Peter of PBN is a great guy

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
I use those fostex tweeters in their mkII form in my own setup, I strongly recommend using them for over 10khz, they are great. They also respond very well to vacuum bypass caps in crossover.

Reactions: christoph

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
Maril, if you don't mind, where are you located?

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Reactions: advanced101

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
I use those fostex tweeters in their mkII form in my own setup, I strongly recommend using them for over 10khz, they are great. They also respond very well to vacuum bypass caps in crossover.
Thank you,
What kind of vacuum bypass caps did you use?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Congratulations on the new amp and speakers. Could you describe your front end and preamplifier? I thought I saw a FirstWatt amplifier on the floor as well as a Pass Labs crossover on the rack.

Shindo Giscours, from his signature. It also has a built in phono. My guess is the kiseki purple heart into Shindo will be a bit too warm and colored for my tastes, having heard both separately. That is the prized product from the Shindo line though.

Maril, Misho's phono at 4k euro direct is also brilliant and extremely flexible. he has a matching SUT included and you can just play any cart in it. The Altec sounds great with SPUs too, and I would be tempted to recommend vdh strad if you can source a good sample. It will add to the high frequency.

You have used Misho's crossover with Duelunds. He himself prefers older film caps. Most swear by Duelunds in speaker crossovers. Now that you have Duelunds, you can try the other one later as cost will be quite cheap.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Misho received a patent for this crossover did he not?

Awesome system. While you might change a cap here and there or a driver I would imagine this is end-game stuff :)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Misho received a patent for this crossover did he not?

Awesome system. While you might change a cap here and there or a driver I would imagine this is end-game stuff :)

yes but that crossover is later. If Maril sets his LPAD value, Misho makes a crossover where he has his hand wound transformer and no resistor. Silvercore's crossover for his speaker has a hand wound inductor that eliminates the capacitor. Since both are in the business of winding it is easy for them

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Shindo Giscours, from his signature. It also has a built in phono. My guess is the kiseki purple heart into Shindo will be a bit too warm and colored for my tastes, having heard both separately. That is the prized product from the Shindo line though.

Maril, Misho's phono at 4k euro direct is also brilliant and extremely flexible. he has a matching SUT included and you can just play any cart in it. The Altec sounds great with SPUs too, and I would be tempted to recommend vdh strad if you can source a good sample. It will add to the high frequency.

You have used Misho's crossover with Duelunds. He himself prefers older film caps. Most swear by Duelunds in speaker crossovers. Now that you have Duelunds, you can try the other one later as cost will be quite cheap.
Thanks. I first saw this on my phone and forgot there is no signature listed. I see it all now. Sorry.

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Thanks. I first saw this on my phone and forgot there is no signature listed. I see it all now. Sorry.
Sure,
I have First Watt F3 amp that I used for a burn in. Im going to keep it and may use it later in active x-over implementation. I would need another Pass Labs XVR-1 control module to make it 3-way active.
Currently I use it with JL subs.
My TT is SpJ La Luce.

Reactions: PeterA

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
yes but that crossover is later. If Maril sets his LPAD value, Misho makes a crossover where he has his hand wound transformer and no resistor. Silvercore's crossover for his speaker has a hand wound inductor that eliminates the capacitor. Since both are in the business of winding it is easy for them
Misho did make a transformer based x-over, and I discussed him making one for me, but it’s more complicated, than it seemed to me, as it requires a lot of in situ testing and re-winding, which he has no time for right now.
I use Ypsilon MC 10L SUT (1:10).
New cart will be the next step after this business with the new amps and speakers is finished.
I’m also tempted to try Bi-radial horns made by Joseph Crowe Audio with Radian 951 NEO drivers 2” exits.
Thats what I like about this project- the possibilities are infinite. Audiophile wet dream (or curse)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing