T+A 1- bit converters in the PDP-3000HV and DAC 8 DSD

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Yesterday I had the pleasure of meeting Lothar Wiemann, the Chief Engineer of T+A for the first time.
The meeting was short as I had to pick up the PDP-3000 for testing before Munich.

Hi EuroDriver,

See that you had talked with Lothar and tested the PDP3000HV.

May I know whether the separate usb DSD dac sections inside the newer DAC8 DSD dac and the older PDP3000HV are the same?

Many thanks!

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
Hi EuroDriver,

See that you had talked with Lothar and tested the PDP3000HV.

May I know whether the separate usb DSD dac sections inside the newer DAC8 DSD dac and the older PDP3000HV are the same?

Many thanks!

Sorry, I missed this post

The answer is yes and no. It's the same architecture, but the 1-bit converter in the PDP-3000 HV seems to have been optimized for the best SACD playback, where as the DAC 8 DSD has been optimized to do a very good job on DSD 512. The analog out stage on the PDP-3000HV is certainly better, but at DSD 512 IMHO the DAC 8 DSD is the sonics winner

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Sorry, I missed this post
The answer is yes and no. It's the same architecture, but the 1-bit converter in the PDP-3000 HV seems to have been optimized for the best SACD playback, where as the DAC 8 DSD has been optimized to do a very good job on DSD 512. The analog out stage on the PDP-3000HV is certainly better, but at DSD 512 IMHO the DAC 8 DSD is the sonics winner

Dear Eurodriver,

Many thanks for the explanation!

Please check your private message box. Thx!

CK

Scatterbrain99

Aug 18, 2016

tsaett

May 20, 2014
Cologne
I continue to be extremely impressed with the T+A.
I have my unit now for a few weeks and it transformed my system big time.
It seems the qualities the T+A brings to the table are exactly what I was missing, or are suiting the rest of my system perfectly, or both :D

The sound is expressive, dynamic, organic and spacious at the same time, paired with top notch resolution and jump factor.

The fact that I got the T+A for less than what I got for my former DAC is the icing on the cake, for me the DAC8DSD is the biggest bargain in the DAC market today, assuming used with DSD512 of course.
The spare funds I redirected in 6 Vicoustic diffusers and in part to a Sablon power cord, both upped the game as well.
All in all I never experienced such a step in sound quality for such a relatively small investment.

Soon I will attend a comparo between TotalDAC six, T+A, big Lampis and some others, should be fun.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
It seems the qualities the T+A brings to the table are exactly what I was missing, or are suiting the rest of my system perfectly, or both :D

The sound is expressive, dynamic, organic and spacious at the same time, paired with top notch resolution and jump factor.

The fact that I got the T+A for less than what I got for my former DAC is the icing on the cake, for me the DAC8DSD is the biggest bargain in the DAC market today, assuming used with DSD512 of course.
The spare funds I redirected in 6 Vicoustic diffusers and in part to a Sablon power cord, both upped the game as well.
All in all I never experienced such a step in sound quality for such a relatively small investment.

Soon I will attend a comparo between TotalDAC six, T+A, big Lampis and some others, should be fun.

Very interesting Tsaett and I can see why you like it after living with SGM and T+A @ 512. What was your previous dac?

tsaett

May 20, 2014
Cologne
Hi Bill,

it replaced a balanced Lampi Level 4 with Mundorf caps and volume control.
Good job on the SGM review by the way, I very much enjoyed reading it!

Christoph

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hi Bill,

it replaced a balanced Lampi Level 4 with Mundorf caps and volume control.
Good job on the SGM review by the way, I very much enjoyed reading it!

Christoph

Thank you, Christoph. Glad you enjoyed the read.

Did the T+A beat the Lampi level 4 easily and in what ways?

Cheers

lotriwer

Aug 20, 2016

Getting mine in this weekend. Looking forward to it. Will be interesting to hear you thoughts about comparison between the DAC's you mentioned.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Getting mine in this weekend. Looking forward to it. Will be interesting to hear you thoughts about comparison between the DAC's you mentioned.

Have you got a server yet to upsample? Enjoy.

tsaett

May 20, 2014
Cologne
Well, I would not call it easily, since the Lampi is of course no slouch, but I really couldn't detect any discipline where the Lampi came out ahead, not even in the Lampi hallmarks like tone and clarity.
The T+A on the other hand exceeded especially in leading edge snap and expressiveness, which resulted in the Lampi sounding a bit muddy and tired (in direct AB test that is).
For me these qualities added up to a much more believable presentation of especially voices, which seem spookily real now.
Toe tapping factor grew as well. All in all I wouldn't consider them worlds apart, but imho the T+A is one class ahead of the Level4.

All my testing was with a CAPS Pipeline v4.

Christoph

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Yes, I have. Roon/HQPlayer is ready for the action...

Cool - enjoy. Try out dsd 512 with the "new" 512 modulators - think you'll need the latest beta for that in HQ.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
How good is the headphone amp in this DAC?

Ask Marc Coles at Sablon - think he has used it extensively with hifi man he 1000's @ home.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
What do you mean by new modulators? I have 3.14.7 beta

If you go into settings, you have over sampling with drop down box, modulators with drop down box, and bit rate with drop down. Try out polysinc-mp with the (beta modulator) asmdsm7 512+f and using 512 bit rate.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing