Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ray, I'm not a streaming customer right now, but even I am fascinated by yr findings, and yr respect for Extreme comes thru loud and clear. Right now if I was starting a system from scratch, Extreme would be top of my shopping list. Amusing to compare myself to my late 80s self where I bored people stupid criticising digital Lol.

Reactions: ray-dude

ray-dude

Dec 8, 2019
Mark,

Your attention to conductor quality is really paying off ! and then your evaluation by ear of the construction and materials

Well done !

As I was wrapping up these listening tests, I said the same to Mark. Mark is on quite the roll with his updated cable...I suggested he start working on CV19 therapies ;)

gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio

Esotar

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
South Korea
www.digituslabs.kr
price worth.PNG

ray-dude

Dec 8, 2019
Talk about a teaser ;)

Reactions: Taiko Audio

ray-dude

Dec 8, 2019
Kidding aside, I've been wanting to be careful about referring folks to a different site where the review is posted (very ungracious to our host), but I'm delighted to be part of the Extreme Project along with so many other folks here. Also very delighted to be part of the conversation here!

Reactions: Taiko Audio

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
The Roon guys keep talking about importance of separating Roon server from renderer. I wonder what happens if you take two Extreme servers, connect them with a lan cable, and configure one as Roon Core and the other one as Roon renderer. Maybe Emile has already tried it? I know it sounds a little “extreme”:), but will it make any difference?

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
The Roon guys keep talking about importance of separating Roon server from renderer. I wonder what happens if you take two Extreme servers, connect them with a lan cable, and configure one as Roon Core and the other one as Roon renderer. Maybe Emile has already tried it? I know it sounds a little “extreme”:), but will it make any difference?
:eek::eek::eek:

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
Just a little?? :)

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Kidding aside, I've been wanting to be careful about referring folks to a different site where the review is posted (very ungracious to our host), but I'm delighted to be part of the Extreme Project along with so many other folks here. Also very delighted to be part of the conversation here!

We've had a few very busy days here in the office so I'm a bit late to comment. What a remarkable review, all 5 parts of it. I cannot even imagine how much time went into it. Although it focuses on our Extreme server it contains a wealth of information which owners of other products and/or DIY projects can benefit from. I would dub this a reference document, a mandatory read for everybody looking to improve their streaming experience. We are launching a new website soon in which we have worked towards providing significantly more information but it does not hold a candle to this!

I am intrigued by the high efficiency speakers - direct drive from DAC concept. I have found a guinea pig willing to let me try that on his 112dB sensitivity horns. Will report back on that.

Thank you Ray, and thank you Chris Connaker @ audiophilestyle.com for publishing it the way you did.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com

It will make a difference for sure but not overall better. Our previous generation servers, the SGM 2015 and EVO did not benefit from this either.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
It will make a difference for sure but not overall better. Our previous generation servers, the SGM 2015 and EVO did not benefit from this either.
Emile, thank you for an honest reply. You could have said ”yes, it would be better”, and I’m sure some people here would immediately start saving for a second Extreme;)!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing