Tascam anounces New DSD Recorder!

Zarir

Member Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
role of DA-3000 when using Grimm AD1

So I've had this unit for about a week or so and think I've got a handle on it.

1. The sound is equal to or better than the Korg. It records to a SD or CF card. It has a USB connection on the front, so I think it can record to USB. I'll have to try it later.
Can record PCM from 44.1 to 192. Records DSD64fs and DSD128fs.

2. GUI - slow as molasses. This should be fixed in a firmware update. Think of the Korg with Audiogate software built-in and you get the Tascam. The menu is deep. I went into some modes and the screen just started showing garbage. Not good! It's going to take some time to explore all the menu options. As in AudioGate, you can do minor editing in DSD or PCM. Did I say the menu is slow?

3. Function - This has digital inputs for PCM or DSD. I connected the Grimm using BNC cables via SDIF-3 and it's some of the best sound I've heard! Cool thing is you have a Cascade mode where you can daisy-chain multiple units for tracking or MCH audio. The powercord they sent is beefier than the normal mass market junk you get. It has the same 1ru footprint as the Korg MR2000s. I feel the Korg is more intuitive where you can get up and started without reading the manual. This Tascam, you actually have to RTFM before you can do anything.

4. Overall, a great replacement for the DV-RA1000HD. If folks missed out getting the Korg for archiving your tape or vinyl, this is the one to get. The $999 price can't be beat anywhere. Two thumbs up!!

View attachment 12020

Hi Bruce

Thank you very much for your info re the quality of the DA-3000. When you say "I connected the Grimm using BNC cables via SDIF-3 and it's some of the best sound I've heard!", is the DA-3000 acting as the DAC , and therefore are you suggesting it's DAC section is THAT good? If so how would this combo compare with the Playback Designs MPS-5 in the chain as the DAC. In addition, if you were to use the DA-3000 as the recording device for the Grimm, is it equivalent to using the Sonoma card with the Grimm. Thanks again
Kind regards

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Hi Bruce

Thank you very much for your info re the quality of the DA-3000. When you say "I connected the Grimm using BNC cables via SDIF-3 and it's some of the best sound I've heard!", is the DA-3000 acting as the DAC , and therefore are you suggesting it's DAC section is THAT good? If so how would this combo compare with the Playback Designs MPS-5 in the chain as the DAC. In addition, if you were to use the DA-3000 as the recording device for the Grimm, is it equivalent to using the Sonoma card with the Grimm. Thanks again
Kind regards

The Grimm is an A/D converter, so when I connect the Grimm to the Tascam, it's some of the best recorded music I've heard.

Both the Tascam and Sonoma are "capture devices". There are some editing properties to the Tascam, but no where as deep as the Sonoma software, which it is one of the best DSD editors I've used.
The Sonoma uses the ST-optical interface, which is only used by Meitner and Playback Designs. The way I get around this is using the Grimm OC-1, which is a SDIF-3 to ST-optical converter.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I have been playing around with DA-3000 as of late. Am I correct to assume that the analog record input volume level for L&R cannot be set independently ? In other words there is no input record balance control. Not a big issue as I can adjust balance if needed at the source.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
DA3000 Record Mode help:

So I had it recording w/o issue. I decided to format the card and now I can't record. It will not go into record mode. Looking at the card, I no longer see "ROOT" as the parent directory, only "PLAYLIST". when I try to create a new playlist under the generic PLAYLIST, I can, but it still won't go into record. Do I need to make that ROOT directory on my computer first then put it into the da3000 ? Any help would be appreciated. TIA

EDIT:

Never mind. I figured it out.

Last edited:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
You need to format the card in the Tascam. Not the computer.

Yep, figured that out. The real problem, I was down a directory too far and did not see the ROOT directory on the display. Once I figured that out, I went up the file tree and found it and was able to start recording in the playlist.

Am I right about no record level balance control in the unit itself ?

merrillaudio

Has anyone tried a 64GB SD card with this DA-3000? From the tested list of memory cards, there is no SD listing for 64GB. There is listings for CF 64GB so I am wondering if there is any limitation on the 64GB SD card on the DA-3000.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
haven't tried any 64GB cards. I use the same 32GB cards I bought for my HD camcorder. I really don't need any more recording time than that. Hopefully in a later firmware update they will include recording to external USB HD.

merrillaudio

haven't tried any 64GB cards. I use the same 32GB cards I bought for my HD camcorder. I really don't need any more recording time than that. Hopefully in a later firmware update they will include recording to external USB HD.

Thank you Bruce.

The External USB HD drive will be too slow for writes and "tracking" read/writes. I would speculate a limited number of fast usb solid state drives with fast memory will work. However if I were TASCAM, this would leave them open to operator problems with people using USB 5400rpm, green hard drives and trying to record. The bad publicity will probably not be worth it.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Thank you Bruce.

The External USB HD drive will be too slow for writes and "tracking" read/writes. I would speculate a limited number of fast usb solid state drives with fast memory will work. However if I were TASCAM, this would leave them open to operator problems with people using USB 5400rpm, green hard drives and trying to record. The bad publicity will probably not be worth it.

I would have to disagree with this. I use a portable Sonoma system that reads/writes 8-channels of DSD to an external USB hard drive.

merrillaudio

I would have to disagree with this. I use a portable Sonoma system that reads/writes 8-channels of DSD to an external USB hard drive.

I stand corrected.

The reason I speculate it is an issue, understanding first it is speculation and 2ndly from reading their manuals, Tascam not only records to the disk but also writes and reads tracking information of the recording. Perhaps the Sonoma also does that, I don't know.

Tascam support/ops cannot provide any definitive answer on why not or when it will be available. Hopefully it will be available soon, as you have stated.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
How much do you have to spend on an outboard A/D to significantly outperform the DA-3000's internal A/D ? What brand/model...Mytek ?

That is the $64 question. To "significantly" outperform the DA-3000's internal A/D you're looking at >$10k for a Grimm/Horus. A lot of it is just taste. More than one of our clients has chosen the EMM Labs ADC8 IV over all of them. Of the people I have spoken to, even the EMM labs converters better the Myteks.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
can you recommend any two channel units ? What do you think of the Tascam's built in A/D ? The needle drops I have made lately sound really good. Is mytek's a/d better than the DA-3000's built in a/d ?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing