TechDas Air Force One

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Rockit

When do you get your beast up and running ?

You can't use your Phantom from your Clearaudio in the meantime?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Rockit

When do you get your beast up and running ?

You can't use your Phantom from your Clearaudio in the meantime?

My other arms are Linn standard type mount. The table's armboards are set up for SME style. The 2nd week of Sept, I will have an arm. Everything else is set up and running. The speed accuracy is amazing....verified with a laser tach. Here are a couple iphone shots of it with the Graham Stealth arm. So transparent, you cant even see it....;)

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 665
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 647
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 670

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
"Stealth" LOVE IT! ROTFL. Kinda gives new meaning to "Phantom". :D

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I think it's cool they give you a choice between acrylic, duraluminum, and stainless. Nice to have more ways to tweak the sound.

I have mixed emotions about the choices. I would think that the designer would draw a conclusion as to what platter sounded the best and would have settled on the *right* one and not left it up to customers to determine how his table will sound in the end.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I have mixed emotions about the choices. I would think that the designer would draw a conclusion as to what platter sounded the best and would have settled on the *right* one and not left it up to customers to determine how his table will sound in the end.

Understandable. The thing is that the TT designer can't control what environment it will be used in or with what equipment will be partnered with it either. The end user may just have different hearing/taste than the designer as well. There is no one right sound that works for everyone in every situation. IMO it is better to have some adjustability in any product if it does not hurt overall performance. The Tech Das design would not allow experimenting with different TT mats otherwise unless you go without the vacuum hold down feature. It could be that certain cartridges will sound better with different platter materials who knows?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

As explained in the HiFi News review:
Duralumin is the most sonically neutral
Stainless..a bit more punch in bass and attack
Methacrylate softer presentation.

It's nice to have options you can change out.

Stump

Jul 15, 2012
My other arms are Linn standard type mount. The table's armboards are set up for SME style. The 2nd week of Sept, I will have an arm. Everything else is set up and running. The speed accuracy is amazing....verified with a laser tach. Here are a couple iphone shots of it with the Graham Stealth arm. So transparent, you cant even see it....;)

Looking good Christian.The Clearaudio is looking a bit lonely in the background..;)

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Well it has been well over a month since the AF One landed. Obama missed that flight....anywho ;)
Bob Graham is in town with my rear mounted Graham 12" Supreme and will be over tomorrow AM to set it up for it's maiden flight. While I do have a Dynavector XV1t still NIB, I will be using my Koetsu Coralstone for the 12" and will break in the Dynavector on my other table in preparation for the Elite arm's arrival, hopefully in November. I will be able to make direct comparisons with this table and my CA Master Innovation/Table Stable TS140 down the road and will share my impressions. Stay tuned !

Sound Affair

Sep 10, 2012
Well it has been well over a month since the AF One landed. Obama missed that flight....anywho ;)
Bob Graham is in town with my rear mounted Graham 12" Supreme and will be over tomorrow AM to set it up for it's maiden flight. While I do have a Dynavector XV1t still NIB, I will be using my Koetsu Coralstone for the 12" and will break in the Dynavector on my other table in preparation for the Elite arm's arrival, hopefully in November. I will be able to make direct comparisons with this table and my CA Master Innovation/Table Stable TS140 down the road and will share my impressions. Stay tuned !

How exciting! you must be looking forward to blast off. Congrats i think a new photo shoot is in order, i never get sick of looking at photos of this deck.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'll bet Christian has been up for a while at possibly not being able to sleep due to excitement! :) I know that would be the case for me.

Would love to see some pics of the tonearm install as you progress.

Good luck today and try not to wet yourself! LOLOLOL!

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
The speed accuracy is amazing....verified with a laser tach.

I would expect no less, but it is great to confirm this speed accuracy. You should try again with a stylus in the groove when you get the arm mounted. So much for the naysayers about speed accuracy with belt-drives. My BD table is spot on with the KAB, but I have not tried with the TimeLine. I could never get my digital laser tachometer to give consistent readings, so I gave up in frustration. Even mounted on a tripod, the tach would keep bouncing around +/- 3rpm so I know it was way off.

Can't wait to read your impressions of how it sounds. Now, I bet you won't get much sleep tonight.

The Phantom

Sep 6, 2012
Why no-show at RMAF

Is the TechDas being shown at 2013 RMAF?

Sorry, I couldn't make it RMAF due to a family illness that took priority. Please see my further comments on this and other related questions posted on the Air Force Two thread (coming in a day or two, when I get a chance to write.)
thank you all,

Bob Graham (yes, I'm the Phantom - surprise..!!)

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Looks like David is doing a major system reboot. Speakers, amps, front end. He's being hush hush. He'll probably just shock/surprise us when he's done.

No word yet on the AF0 but the compact AF3 should be out later this year. Target is the Munich show.

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
For those who want a more detailed description of their AF1/2's speed control system

TDTechbulletin.jpg

Reactions: audiofun

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing