Technics SP-10R with OMA cast-iron plinth : both Modern & Nostalgic!

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Technics has launched their new model of direct-drive turntable SP-10R for a few years.
There isn't any dealer for it in Hong Kong so it's until last week that I had the chance to listen to it at a friend's home.

My friend David pairs it with the Oswalda Mill Audio cast-iron plinth.
MF wrote a rather detailed review on Stereophile in 2019 so I won't repeat the tech details but only to share some photos with you.

Both the drive mechanism and plinth are heavy.
Must employ a logistic company or one will be risking his own back.
IMG-20210619-WA0024~2.jpg
IMG-20210619-WA0025~2.jpg

The OMA plinth without the drive mechanism.
It's a two-tonearm model.
IMG-20210619-WA0027~2.jpg

Another friend who is an expert in setting up turntable helped David to set up and fine-tune the SP-10R.
IMG-20210619-WA0038~2.jpg

The tonearm was Axiom and the cartridge was Etsuro Gold.
The rack is a SRA Craz3.

For the 4 corners of the OMA plinth, Audio Replas special treated stainless steel spikes were installed
IMG-20210629-WA0038~2.jpg

We also tried putting diff materials between the turntable and the rack, such as granite plate & slate plate.
20210703_141511.jpg

Even a Minus-K CT2 anti-vibration platform :
20210703_152943~2.jpg

Interestingly we found that putting the turntable directly on the SRA gave the most natural performance.
:p

Last edited:

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Looks gorgeous!
Agree!
It has a nostalgic industrial look.
Low-keyish yet very attractive.
The sonic performance is likewise gorgeous!

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Beautiful table - one of my dream tables. I would luv to hear that.

He needs to buy a Micro Seiki cu-180 platter mat thou.

@howiebrou - you need to buy a 4th table mate so we can compare to the mk3 :p

Reactions: bonzo75

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

The OMA graphite LP mat perfoms very well with the SP-10R.
The Micro Seiki cu-180 is even better?

BTW Howie told me that he mostly listened to his Artisan Fidelity Garrard lately.
:D

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Fremer's review about this has been stellar.

"The power supply of my Continuum Audio Labs Caliburn turntable is starting to fail, and its oil pump has a very slow leak. Should that $150,000 system (the price includes Continuum’s Cobra tonearm, no longer in use) give up the ghost after 13 years of dependable, trouble-free use and abuse from me, I could definitely live happily with the ca-$20,000 combo of Technics SP-10R and OMA SP10 plinth with OMA graphite mat (though I’d sorely miss the Caliburn’s vacuum holddown)—and, of course, that replacement system would have to include a SAT CF1 arm. I don’t think I’ve written that about any other turntable that’s been here since the summer of 2005."

Also Peter's favorite passage, why this is now his dream TT

"Beyond that, all else was different and far superior to the sound of the SL-1000R, especially the certainty and clarity of instrumental attacks and image three-dimensionality and stability, behind which were velvet-“black” backgrounds that I can describe only as serene—they rivaled, if not equaled, those of the Continuum Audio Labs Caliburn, which the SL-1000R had been incapable of producing."

Reactions: CKKeung

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
looks lovely.

love to know how he choose the Etsuro Gold?
He is currently using 4 cartridges.
The other three are Kondo IoM, the Infinity mono and VDH Colibra Stradivarius.

The Technics is his new mistress so he gives her the best one.
:p

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I see the micro 8000 in background. How do they compare :cool:
A complete picture is here :

20210703_142055~2.jpg

I personally think that the Technics excels in vocals, jazz & pop music.

For classical music, particularly chamber music & strings, I like the Micro Seiki 8000mk1 and La Platine more.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Is this trying with the same cart?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Is this trying with the same cart?
Sorry, no.
There was only one Etsuro Gold and trying it on the 3 turntables would be too tedious & time-consuming.

Our most important home-visiting purpose was to determine whether the Technics should be placed directly on tthe SRA rack or to put rock plates/Minus-K in between.

#10 is my personal guess/ impression only.
Pls read it with some grains of salt.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
The OMA graphite LP mat perfoms very well with the SP-10R.
The Micro Seiki cu-180 is even better?

BTW Howie told me that he mostly listened to his Artisan Fidelity Garrard lately.
:D

I have not heard the OMA graphite mat, but the cu-180 is sensational. It has a little more detail than the Artisan Fidelity copper platter mat which I bought then on sold to a friend.

Reactions: bonzo75 and CKKeung

cmchan

Aug 24, 2018

I have a Micro Sekei CU-180 mat and it does sound good on the OMA SP-10R. Spoilt for choice, and having experimented with a few other mats, I currently prefer the OMA Graphite mat With this turntable. For me, music is more fluid and notes more punctuated if that makes sense.

David

cmchan

Aug 24, 2018
looks lovely.

love to know how he choose the Etsuro Gold?
Hi Mike, we have an Etsuro dealer in Hong Kong. After reading yours and other WBF comments on the Etsuro Gold, I went to the dealer to have a listen. He had the Etsuro Bordeaux mounted on a Groove Master II Banana tonearm playing on a JC Verdier TT. That sounded very good already. The dealer had two Gold in stock and I decided to buy one in faith that it would be better than the Bordeaux. I was not disappointed - and have tried the Gold on JC Verdier with Graham Phantom 2 Supreme tonearm, and also on the Micro Sekei SX8000 Mk1 with the same tonearm, and then with an Axiom Tonearm on the SX8000. I must say the Gold is my overall favourite cartridge regardless of TT and arm. I now have it mounted on Axiom on the OMA.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Mike, we have an Etsuro dealer in Hong Kong. After reading yours and other WBF comments on the Etsuro Gold, I went to the dealer to have a listen. He had the Etsuro Bordeaux mounted on a Groove Master II Banana tonearm playing on a JC Verdier TT. That sounded very good already. The dealer had two Gold in stock and I decided to buy one in faith that it would be better than the Bordeaux. I was not disappointed - and have tried the Gold on JC Verdier with Graham Phantom 2 Supreme tonearm, and also on the Micro Sekei SX8000 Mk1 with the same tonearm, and then with an Axiom Tonearm on the SX8000. I must say the Gold is my overall favourite cartridge regardless of TT and arm. I now have it mounted on Axiom on the OMA.

Thanks, what are your impressions of your tables? Do you share CK's assessment?

cmchan

Aug 24, 2018
Thanks, what are your impressions of your tables? Do you share CK's assessment?
Haha - I'm quite a tweaker and like to experiment with different platforms (air/Minus-K/other), isolation feet ... Each TT has its strengths and can be optimised through tweaks - at least for my ears. JC Verdier is very musical; SX8000 is solid and majestic - great for small and large scale classical, and minusK platform is a great match for SX8000. We experimented with different feet and platforms for the OMA. The Minus-K was a marginal improvement in bigger soundstage but agree with CK that it sounded more natural directly on the SRA rack. The OMA seems very sensitive to the feet and the platform it sits on. Jazz and vocals sound great on anything, whilst classical is more sensitive to the feet and platform. I'm still experimenting with different feet and currently trying Track Audio feet - which I think are the best so far.

Reactions: bonzo75 and CKKeung

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Is that Dereneville motor on the Verdier?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I'm still experimenting with different feet and currently trying Track Audio feet - which I think are the best so far.
Hi David,
Here is the info on the Audio Replas RSI-M10 (M10 screw) RSI-M8 (M8 screw) RSI-M6 (M6 screw) hardened stainless steel spikes :

rsi_m8m6~2.jpg

They are good and not expensive.
However, please use only the spikes but not together with their optional spike plates. Otherwise the sound will become rather cold/hifi-ish.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing