The Best Audio Audition Experience I Have Ever Had & The Best Preamp-Amp Combination

kevinkwann

Oct 14, 2010
Kidneystone-on-Trent
Sanity check

Does anyone find it vaguely disturbing that while...

“Alan Goodwin of Goodwin’s High End in Waltham, MA started the process by spending the better part of an hour on the phone with me two weeks ago answering my questions about the gains of upgrading from my excellent Spectral DMA-260 amp to Spectral’s stereo reference amp the DMA-300RS or possibly the much more powerful version using the same technology, the DMA-400RS monoblocks. While we were supposed to be talking about the amp options, Alan could not stop gushing about latest from Spectral, their reference DMC-30SV (Super Veloce) preamp, which is based on unique and pioneering technology seen nowhere else, not just other Spectral products, but NOWHERE else, thanks to Keith Johnson and his lifelong connections in Silicon Valley and the recording industry”...

...he got cut out of the deal completely? This after planting the seed, cultivating the interest and spending hours of his valuable time in so doing.

If not, let me be the first to say that I do.

Rather than letting "my audio obsession about this purchase (render) me useless for functioning on a daily basis, so another remedy needed to be found," I'd have bent over backwards to reward the dealer for his time, patience and sage advice.

But maybe that's just me.

Sad.

Reactions: Michael Davitt

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

“Alan Goodwin of Goodwin’s High End in Waltham, MA started the process by spending the better part of an hour on the phone with me two weeks ago answering my questions about the gains of upgrading from my excellent Spectral DMA-260 amp to Spectral’s stereo reference amp the DMA-300RS or possibly the much more powerful version using the same technology, the DMA-400RS monoblocks. While we were supposed to be talking about the amp options, Alan could not stop gushing about latest from Spectral, their reference DMC-30SV (Super Veloce) preamp, which is based on unique and pioneering technology seen nowhere else, not just other Spectral products, but NOWHERE else, thanks to Keith Johnson and his lifelong connections in Silicon Valley and the recording industry”...

...he got cut out of the deal completely? This after planting the seed, cultivating the interest and spending hours of his valuable time in so doing.

Rather than letting "my audio obsession about this purchase (render) me useless for functioning on a daily basis, so another remedy needed to be found," I'd have bent over backwards to reward the dealer for his time, patience and sage advice.

Sad.

from what I remember it was lack of product availability at Goodwin's with a wait in excess of 6 months vs a few weeks at the other

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Deleted

P.S. It was simply a humorous post that wasn't necessary, that's all, so I deleted it myself.
And I didn't have another option @ the time...like replacing it by something better. I thought about it for a minute...and nothing came up.

Last edited:

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Personally, I would not have done that to Goodwin's, and the proof is in my waiting for 7-8 months to get the preamp, and about the same for the amps, etc. However, I don't feel there is anything deplorable in what others may do, as "delivering" by a dealer applies to all fronts and not just spending time on the phone to explain things, and that means a reasonable lead time to ship product; ditto for service. The problem with lack of stock at Goodwin's is a long-standing issue and a modus operandi - it drives me nuts as well. However, in this particular case, do keep in mind that these products are in very limited quantities to start with, dealers barely get a unit a month (so how do you even build stock), and perhaps ... just perhaps... Overture bumped someone else off to accommodate Russ... and that would be the bad thing. On the other hand, they may have had a cancellation on the preamp, or not the backlog that Goodwin's apparently has. What I personally don't approve and find deplorable is when someone spends the time to listen to a product at dealer X, then turns around and buys *the same* from dealer Y.

When you weigh in just how incredible these products sound when set up correctly, it's not too difficult to see why people have to have them, now... Overall, it's not unreasonable for a customer to say, "I just can't wait that long", even if you spend an hour on the phone; and no dealer would ever start a conversation by disclosing just how long it will take to deliver product. All things considered, the whole thing isn't ideal, but I don't think it's bad either.

kevinkwann

Oct 14, 2010
Kidneystone-on-Trent
Very insightful and I appreciate your perspective. Thank you.

Personally, I would not have done that to Goodwin's, and the proof is in my waiting for 7-8 months to get the preamp, and about the same for the amps, etc. However, I don't feel there is anything deplorable in what others may do, as "delivering" by a dealer applies to all fronts and not just spending time on the phone to explain things, and that means a reasonable lead time to ship product; ditto for service. The problem with lack of stock at Goodwin's is a long-standing issue and a modus operandi - it drives me nuts as well. However, in this particular case, do keep in mind that these products are in very limited quantities to start with, dealers barely get a unit a month (so how do you even build stock), and perhaps ... just perhaps... Overture bumped someone else off to accommodate Russ... and that would be the bad thing. On the other hand, they may have had a cancellation on the preamp, or not the backlog that Goodwin's apparently has. What I personally don't approve and find deplorable is when someone spends the time to listen to a product at dealer X, then turns around and buys *the same* from dealer Y.

When you weigh in just how incredible these products sound when set up correctly, it's not too difficult to see why people have to have them, now... Overall, it's not unreasonable for a customer to say, "I just can't wait that long", even if you spend an hour on the phone; and no dealer would ever start a conversation by disclosing just how long it will take to deliver product. All things considered, the whole thing isn't ideal, but I don't think it's bad either.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Sad.

This was my first thought half way through reading the OP. I hinted to this point in my post #9. Goodwins is my local dealer and my first thought when reading the account was that some deal was struck between the customer and both dealers given the delivery schedule, conversations and demos. I guess this was not the case. But, Alan Goodwin did get some good PR from this thread. He deserves it, IMO.

taters

Jun 6, 2012
This was my first thought half way through reading the OP. I hinted to this point in my post #9. Goodwins is my local dealer and my first thought when reading the account was that some deal was struck between the customer and both dealers given the delivery schedule, conversations and demos. I guess this was not the case. But, Alan Goodwin did get some good PR from this thread. He deserves it, IMO.

I don't really know the details of this sale. The one thing I do know is that Delaware has no state sales tax. I Imagine someone could save a lot of money if they bought expensive gear from that state. In Southern California the sales tax is close to 10 percent. Even if a dealer cuts you a break you are not to far ahead once you pay the tax. I know this might be Irrelavent in this situation but I thought I would bring it up anyways. Food for thought.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
At least when I was a moderator here, you'd post your personal lovin' in the forum of a brand you are associated with. This is not a TOS item AFAICR but more a general etiquette thing.

In the case of non-industry participants this thread would have been okay in General Audio or the Pre-am and Amp forum. I don't think this has been changed.

In any case new posts get buried pretty quick. It's the call of the poster where he wants to put it. There are only minor compromises when it comes to later searches, whichever forum is decided on because WBF's search functions are pretty robust and flexible.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
I am sorry if I have upset you by purchasing where I could obtain the products in a reasonable amount of time. You are right that I do and did feel responsibility to give Goodwins credit where due. If I was the slimy person alleged, I could have easily omitted the Goodwins part, but I did not. It was purely about availability and the fact that Overture is closer to me.

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
I was contacted by Terry regarding a standing order I had on a Spectral SV and 300 amp. I told him to go ahead and pass me by for a while, as my daughter had unexpected surgery over the Christmas holiday, and the costs incurred bit into my stereo fund. :( Terry and Alan are both awesome to work with, and a reason they will most likely always be busy- they put the customer first! So, yes you're welcome, and enjoy "MY" preamp. :)
As an aside, I do plan to move forward sometime later in the purchase, as I have had Spectral for 5 years , and they do tick all of my buttons, MIT requirement included.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Scouter,

I did not know who my beneficiary of my good fortune was, but thank you so much. I am very sorry to hear about your daughter's medical problems. I hope that she is doing well. Your good deed will be rewarded in some way. Thanks again.

Russ

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
I would like to clarify several things. First, the main reason for my starting this thread was to talk about the bigger issue of the client equipment experience and how it has declined over the years. I was trying to celebrate both Goodwin's and Overture's ultra high standard on this front. This is why I did not post it in the Spectral section.

I was also trying to share with fellow WBF members one of the most amazing audio experiences of my life, both on the equipment side and relationship side. That I had specific reasons for absolutely needing to find a preamp ASAP and I happened to find what seemed impossible, thanks to Scouter, in a matter of 3 weeks versus 6 months is the basic reason why I bought from Overture. Also, this purchase requires 2 round trips to the dealer since the equipment is coming in at different times and Overture is much closer to me and like Goodwins an existing dealer I have dealt with over the years.

Once again I am sorry if my decision has offended anyone. It was one that did not come easily.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
OK, so there was a cancellation, I was not too far off. Everyone seems to have conducted themselves in a reasonable manner, albeit not ideal. Moving on to the amps, I just had an interesting experience, and another testament to the mastery of engineering in these products... Clipping... I am sure we've all heard solid state amps clip hard when overdriven - sounding congested, throwing that terrible loud POP, etc... I just payed the RR Saint Saens #3 pretty loud, went fine; then switched to the more dramatic Telarc, loud again, and at the very end during the final crescendo, the amps did not clip the usual way, they just cut off the sound for a very brief millisecond or two (and no, the protection circuit did not kick in)... truly astounding behavior and control, very impressed.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Russ make sure to post your impressions of the 30 SV with your 260 amp. I'm staying withe my 260 but may upgrade later.

Dan

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing