The Best Audio Audition Experience I Have Ever Had & The Best Preamp-Amp Combination

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
When we had our high-end audio business we would more than understand if someone wanted something, and we did not have it, they would go and buy it elsewhere. Indeed one of the reasons we got out of the business was our unwillingness to dedicate the space and funds to inventory. One of the biggest joys of audio is walking in and taking home something. We understood this and know the importance of it and in no way held the customer accountable for going elsewhere to buy where the unit existed.

So while I appreciate the consideration for the original dealer, I don't see any issue with what Russ did eventually. I am sure that dealer has garnered additional goodwill in Russ and will get future business from him for that reason.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
What on earth was the sound level?

Only at 80% gain. Pretty inefficient and hard-to-drive speakers, if you ask me, combined with the amps' rather small capacitor bank. I don't think the sound pressure was over 105dB.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Personally I find this utterly irrelevant. I'd have waited and rewarded the dealer exactly as I said above.

+1000

Simple remedy though...send some fair amount of money to the salesperson at Goodwins.

He was the "procuring cause" and it seems the 'only' reason he failed to get the sale was the time it would take to get the piece in question. IOW, instant gratification was required by the buyer and when that failed to happen, the salesperson at Goodwins lost the sale.

Sorry guys, but IMHO this was the wrong thing to do by the OP. ( Disclosing it later in this thread does not make that right, again IMHO).

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I would like to clarify several things. First, the main reason for my starting this thread was to talk about the bigger issue of the client equipment experience and how it has declined over the years. I was trying to celebrate both Goodwin's and Overture's ultra high standard on this front. This is why I did not post it in the Spectral section.

I was also trying to share with fellow WBF members one of the most amazing audio experiences of my life, both on the equipment side and relationship side. That I had specific reasons for absolutely needing to find a preamp ASAP and I happened to find what seemed impossible, thanks to Scouter, in a matter of 3 weeks versus 6 months is the basic reason why I bought from Overture. Also, this purchase requires 2 round trips to the dealer since the equipment is coming in at different times and Overture is much closer to me and like Goodwins an existing dealer I have dealt with over the years.

Once again I am sorry if my decision has offended anyone. It was one that did not come easily.

I don't feel your own thread title portrays this view as much as you just love Spectral and its "the best" (once again).

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
I don't feel your own thread title portrays this view as much as you just love Spectral and its "the best" (once again).

Keith, you are absolutely correct that my title was too strong. It would have been better for me to delete the part about the best preamp amp combo or at least say "in my opinion". What I was trying to convey, but failed, was that the nature of the sound was such a large increment over anything I have heard anywhere, that it might be in a class by itself.

With regard to my love of Spectral, historically I have not been a Spectral lover, at least on the preamp side. I have always loved the amps, but found when linked with their preamps of the time, that the sound was too analytic for my taste. I have liked the combination of tubes and SS to get the mix that works best for me.

However, the SV RS combo is totally different in sound, speed, decay and thus to my taste reality. It is my theory that this is why the S7's just did not exist- at all, even though I was looking right at them. While my G3's are excellent in this regard, they are no match for the SV-RS combo when used with my 260 and a DMA-30 combo, which actually sounds slow, if that makes sense. I am very curious to see what the SV 260 combo sounds like as I wait for my amp.

Once again, the last thing I wanted to do was create controversy.

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
The best combo I've heard is the one I have now: an C500P preamp and MC601s...even though there will be those who chastise me for owing midfi eqpt :)

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Mobiusman, could you share with us your impressions of the Magico S7 speaker? I recently heard it at Goodwins with my group of Boston area audio buddies and three of the four of us really liked it. I think we heard it in a similar system to what you heard: Latest Sprectral monos and pre, dCS Vivaldi stack, Top MIT cabling and the S7/Ssub combination. Did you get an impression of the speaker apart from your observations about the electronics?

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Peter,

The best I can do to sort out the sound of the S7, since I have never heard it before is assume that the S7 was the weakest link in what I heard. Bottom line the overall sound was stunning, and as I have said repeatedly, unlike anything I have ever heard. If the S7 was the limiting factor, I could live with it for the rest of my listening time. The articulation was like being there, in an environment that was totally neutral and thus contributed nothing. The cohesiveness of sound, top to bottom, was flawless, with maybe the tiniest bit of midrange hump, although that could be the room or something else.

There was another quality that was simply uncanny, which I assumed, maybe incorrectly, was a function of the Spectral electronics, because I have never heard this quality in other Magico auditions, including the Q7 or any other speaker for that matter. This quality was the speed of the decay of every component of the sound. I do not know how to explain it better, which is why I have said you have to hear it for yourself. My system with Vivid G3's, but lesser Spectral gear, sounds like it has sludge throughout by comparison. In the days since, I have gotten use to my system again, but it is a far cry from what I heard with the SV and 300RS. I believe this sound quality is a function of the lack of thermal tails and the resultant speed of the decay which I suspect contributed to the sense of realism.

I have listened to the 400RS's extensively in my friend Marty's system and it does not have this quality, leading me to believe that SV is truly bringing something special that enables the RS amps and in this case the S7's to reach new levels.

Said simply, I had no sense that the S7 limited anything that I heard. As I transition the new Spectral gear into my system, I will gladly report the differences produced by each component.

Prior to this experience, I was not a huge Magico fan. I am now a huge fan of the S7. I can only hope that I get similar benefit with the G3's when I add the SV and 300RS. Sorry I cannot be more specific, because I have not figured out how to describe what I heard other than I was absolutely blown away. Maybe ACK can weigh in since he personally went through this change in his system.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Thank you Russ. Having singularly memorable listening sessions are rare. And when they happen, I find it very difficult to think about the specific contributions of particular gear. I enjoyed reading about your audition and look forward to reading more when you get the pieces and you know what they are doing in your system.

Last edited:

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
I think it is kind of ironic that my entire system is currently upstairs in my bedroom to protect it against water damage from storm surges from Jonas since I live on a point out in Barnegat Bay in NJ. What I worked so hard to get set up perfectly and precisely is now in need of a restart because I have a broken arm and cannot life my speakers, woofs or amp and was able to get some help from others for a short period of time last night and did not have the time to mark locations.

Fortunately no water, a ton of wind and 4 foot drifts.

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
Russ,
Good luck to you. Living on the beach and near ocean waters means 345 +/- days of paradise some years with a couple of weeks of hell. Gotta concentrate on the paradise days, right? Thank heavens for great neighbors! At least the new Spectral gear isn't at risk. Stay safe.
I think it is kind of ironic that my entire system is currently upstairs in my bedroom to protect it against water damage from storm surges from Jonas since I live on a point out in Barnegat Bay in NJ. What I worked so hard to get set up perfectly and precisely is now in need of a restart because I have a broken arm and cannot life my speakers, woofs or amp and was able to get some help from others for a short period of time last night and did not have the time to mark locations.

Fortunately no water, a ton of wind and 4 foot drifts.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
I totally agree. And once again, without you I wouldn't be getting my SV so soon. If you are ever in the area, come by and hear YOUR preamp. IMG_1575.jpg IMG_1580.jpg

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Wow! It is always strange (and in our case beautiful) when you see snow and water at the same time. Here is a picture my brother took from the balcony of their house a few years ago over looking south sound (salt water bay):

It was about 8 inches which for us, is huge especially by the Puget Sound.

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
Russ,
Thanks for your generous offer, and glad the preamp is going to someone who really appreciates Spectral and all it offers. Never heard the Vivids, so would love to stop by if ever there. From the pics, its a beautiful place! Hope the arm gets well soon, and enjoy the snow- it will be hot soon enough. My daughter is in Asheville at school, and got 12 inches of snow. I guess its a good workout for the ACL surgery rehab.
Barry Hope
I totally agree. And once again, without you I wouldn't be getting my SV so soon. If you are ever in the area, come by and hear YOUR preamp. View attachment 25279 View attachment 25280

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Going today to pick up my Spectral DMC 30 SV Preamp. I will report in several days after it has had a chance to settle in. Unfortunately, my initial impressions will be based on the combination of the SV and my Spectral DMA 260, since my DMA 300 RS is still several months away.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
It is so nice to read about a successful audio journey, Russ! I am happy for you that you found your perfect electronics -- and contentment.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Ron,

Thanks for the thoughts, but let's not be too exuberant, just yet, because this journey is not yet done. While I have the very rare Spectral DMC 30 SV preamp thanks to Terry Menacker and Scouter from the WBF, who was absolutely wonderful by letting me have his position in line at Overture for the SV, I do not yet have the DMA 300RS, so I am only part way there!. Everything I have read from the Spectral bulletins and learned from Terry and Allen Goodwin is that to get the best from this preamp, you need either the DMA 400 SR or the DMA 300 SR. So since I have it connected to my DMA 260, all I can say at this point is that the 260 has never sounded this good, and this is with only 12 hours on the SV and all of the connections still stabilizing after being removed and reconnected. Like any new product inserted into an established system, it is still changing with moments of wonder alternating with moments of merely better.

To complicate things, in the past two weeks, my system has undergone several changes so it is hardly stable and thus another variable in assessing the SV. Two weeks ago my new speaker, MIT HD 90 Rev 2 Biwired with bananas, arrived which allowed me to remove what I felt was truly one of the weakest links in my system, MIT Matrix SL 90 biwire speaker wire. This change alone, right out of the box was a major and fundamental improvement, since there is no doubt that to my taste and for my system, the SL Matrix line is truly a mismatch. While the imaging of the SL Matrix is incredible, if not erie, The overall balance reminds me of when years ago I switched from McIntosh MC-60's to a Crown DC 300-Maybe clearer, but definitely not real nor musical.

The next variable I introduced was I moved my speakers forward and wider to try to create an equilateral triangle with my listening position, a setup the Vivid Giya's like. This was a major instant improvement, despite the somewhat ongoing wild break-in ride of the MIT Oracle series speaker wires. A week later I had to break my system down again to reposition my rack when I had to lay some new carpet behind the speakers for both visual and sonic reasons. After reconnecting the system again, it was back to where it was after a day, but the MIT was still breaking in. On Wednesday, after two weeks and at least 75 hours, the MIT's found a new stride with amazing imaging that surpassed anything I have had previously. However, I am told by Scott Warren that it takes 300 hours for the 2C3D circuits to burn-in and stabilize, so allegedly more is to come.

Then last night I inserted the Spectral DMC 30SV after removing the loaner Spectral preamp from the system 24 hours earlier. Although the Spectral already had 800 hours of break-in at Spectral, it travelled cross country with no charge and thus needed to get its stride again after being inserted into my system. Within 10 minutes I started hearing some of the characteristics that led me to buy it and initiate this thread. There clearly was an instant increase in articulation top to bottom, but the balance of the various parts of the spectrum was still very much in flux. What was most notable was the depth, force and articulaton of the bass, which has changed many times since and has changed for the better just during the time it has taken me to write this post.

So the best I can say at this point is that I am thrilled by the MIT HD-90 Rev 2 speaker, despite being only part way to its best. I am also already were pleased with the Spectral DMC 30SV, although I am not yet to what I heard at Overture 5 weeks ago. So perhaps I will get most of the way there when the DMA 300RS arrives, although I will still not have the same wire, MIT consoles, Spectral Reference CD Player and Magico S7's and probably Overture's better room.

Fortunately, I hope, I will have to break my system down once again before the DMA 300RS arrives when my new Steve Blinn Designs custom racks arrive in 3-4 weeks. So if nothing else, this trip is teaching me patience.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Great to hear you got your preamp, Russ. Indeed, part of the wait is the factory break-in, but it doesn't stop there. The point of the break-in is to do the final fine adjustments after every component is broken in. The unit then just needs 24hrs to warm up at home, to reach equilibrium. Looking forward to your thoughts - you always write really well. It will be interesting to see what you think of the preamp vs your old [tube?] one...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing