The best musical selections at RMAF 2012

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
First off, thanks to those who provided the photos, reviews and feedback for all things RMAF 2012. It is much appreciated by not only me but others who did/could not attend the show. Our fellow member/moderator here at the WBF [Lee] asked this question on another thread and I felt that it warranted a thread of it's own, since no responses were provided. It's a great question and is also a vaguely important part of enjoying our systems at home. I have read that it seemed like the same 10 songs were playing throughout the show and I'm sure most of us are quite familiar with those selections or already have multiple copies/versions of on many a playback medium.

That said, what do you feel were the best selections you experienced at the show? Any must haves or new discoveries that you feel would qualify as some of the best selections of the show?

Tom

arnies

May 10, 2010
Austin, TX
I have read that it seemed like the same 10 songs were playing throughout the show and I'm sure most of us are quite familiar with those selections or already have multiple copies/versions of on many a playback medium.

That said, what do you feel were the best selections you experienced at the show? Any must haves or new discoveries that you feel would qualify as some of the best selections of the show?

Tom

For me, I heard the vinyl LP of Doug MacLeod and Charlie Musselwhite entitled "Come To Find". It was wonderful and new to me. I enjoyed the music and its a really well done recording. Now, I am trying to find a copy (which I know will not be easy).

Arnie

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
For me, I heard the vinyl LP of Doug MacLeod and Charlie Musselwhite entitled "Come To Find". It was wonderful and new to me. I enjoyed the music and its a really well done recording. Now, I am trying to find a copy (which I know will not be easy).

Arnie

Arnie, that track and album has been one of my go to's for years

I have it on XRCD

TheAudioAssociation

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Anaheim Hills, CA
agreed, great album.

Doug MacLoed cut a new diect-to-disc LP with Chad Kassem as part of six new D2Ds - should be a zinger.

Cleaned this album yesterday along with a bunch of others I got from Chad. Glad to hear that the Doug MacLoed should be a winner! Hoping to fire it up later today!

Last edited:

arnies

May 10, 2010
Austin, TX
Arnie, that track and album has been one of my go to's for years

I have it on XRCD

Hi Steve,

The Austin Record Convention starts this coming Friday. I am hoping that I will be able to find a vinyl copy in good condition at the convention. If not, I see that the XRCD is still available so I will get that version. I listened to the first 4 tracks and it was just great!

Arnie

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Thanks, gentlemen. I have already got the XRCD in my cart at Amazon and I have added the LP to my list of "Buy it Now" albums. I had a friend of mine who attended suggest "Into the Labyrinth" by Dead Can Dance, which he claimed sold the Lansche Reference speakers to those with him who heard it spinning on vinyl. Both of which are new ones to me.

Tom

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Many from MA recordings, I carried a CD and never got a NO as an answer to play it at any room.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Hi Steve,

The Austin Record Convention starts this coming Friday. I am hoping that I will be able to find a vinyl copy in good condition at the convention. If not, I see that the XRCD is still available so I will get that version. I listened to the first 4 tracks and it was just great!

Arnie
Oh, poop! We fly in Sunday, but i doubt I'll have time to hit it.

arnies

May 10, 2010
Austin, TX
Oh, poop! We fly in Sunday, but i doubt I'll have time to hit it.

Hi Bill,

This is my first time going to the Austin Record convention as I just got back into vinyl about 2 years ago and the convention wasn't held last year. I've spoken with a few people who have told me its good event and definitely very large. I've got my wish list of records ready to go. Hopefully I will be able to find some of them and in good condition as well.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Hi Bill,

This is my first time going to the Austin Record convention as I just got back into vinyl about 2 years ago and the convention wasn't held last year. I've spoken with a few people who have told me its good event and definitely very large. I've got my wish list of records ready to go. Hopefully I will be able to find some of them and in good condition as well.
Good luck. I emailed one of the organizers, just to touch base. Post your impressions, the fact that Austin does this is one more reason that it's a great place to live! We'll be at the Driskill for several days, mostly real estate, some stuff with UT.

arnies

May 10, 2010
Austin, TX
Hi Steve,

It was good to meet you on Friday and thanks for the list.

Me and Shazam are ready for the record convention.

Arnie

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
One of my favorite aspects of the show was the new to me music I discovered. Here's a list from my Shazam and SoundHound tags I made at the show, of music that I liked. Be aware that the apps don't always give the correct album name, as the same song may be on different albums. Also, as in the case of the Neil Young song listed below, there may be multiple albums which contain the song, but the song may be a different version than the one I heard. Those caveats said, here is my list...

Be Be Your Love, from the album Happenstance,Rachael Yamagata
Fight For Your Mind, from the album Fight For Your Mind, Ben Harper
Coming Down, from the album Coming Down, Anders Osborne
Old Man, from the album 40 Days, The Waylin' Jennys
If You Could See, from the album Sledgehammer Soul And Down Home Blues, Mighty Sam McClain
Hip Bone, from the album Get Inside, Johnny A.
Hard Times, from the album And Still I Rise, Heritage Blues Orchestra
Light My Fire, from the album Axel Schulz, Friend 'N Fellow
Dark Side Of The Cog, from the album Blue Moods, Incognito
The Legend Of 1900 : Playing Love, Yo Yo Ma
Like A Hurricane, from the album Like A Hurricane, (or American Stars and Bars, not sure which album had this version) Neil Young
18 Carrots, from the album Cool Jazz, Gerry Mulligan & Johnny Hodges
The Last Day, from the album Crystal, Ahmad Jamal
Perugia, from the album Perugia
VTT, from the album VTT2, Vital Techtones
Paris - Istanbul - Shangai: La femme de l'eau, from the album Grare: Paris-Istanbu-Shanghai, Joel Grare
1br/1ba, from the album Dreaming Through the Noise, Vienna Teng
Felicia Adjo, from the album Visor, Anders Widmark Trio
Dance to the Drummer Again, from the album Dance to the Drums Again,Cassandra Wilson
Uakti, Trilobita

This is interesting and I wonder what everyone here would like have played at the various shows. Good idea for a thread too, but where to post it? General discussion area within the Trade Show Forum?

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
For me it was JD Souther's Natural History played by Bret D'Agostino at Bully Sound.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing