The [coffee snobs'] espresso thread

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Mr Coffee is fine by me, along with Safeway Signature French Roast. Gets me going in the morning. :)

50663900-9C90-42B8-ACE2-81982221A0C3.jpeg

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Sorry

I only take mine leaded ;)

Believe me I want to... At this point I'd be happy to indulge in alcohol in small by tasty varieties as a less healthy alternative, but I can't do that either - at all.

Let me explain the problem. A few months back I was at a coffee shop. I ordered a decaf americano. I was tasting it and I told them it taste leaded (like regular). They were like "na, we must be making it wrong." So they remade it several times. I had 2-2.5 cups total. Then the one who also roasts opens up the grinder hopper and looks at the beans and says, "oh shit these aren't decaf." He showed me how to tell the difference. I was sick for 2 days, unable to sleep the entire first night and just in general sick feeling. Miserable, unable to work or do anything.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Yikes. That sounds awful. At 70 I still drink coffee or beer with no (obvious) side effects. Well, just the expected side effects.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I use to be able to get drunk, and be sober by bed time if it was red wine and I didn't have too much. (like a bottle, not two+) And no hangovers. Now it might keep me awake the entire night... even though there is no caffeine. And I'm less than half your age. I don't get it. I just know life can be very boring when you can't engage with so many things.

12elfthfloor

Apr 28, 2019
Thailand
Arriving next week, the Rocket Espresso Mozzafiato Evoluzione Type R

View attachment 50777

After so many years mastering espresso brewing, it's time to make a rather large leap, and had to have an E61 group head, a bottomless portafilter, proper PID, and direct water line connection, don't care about separate boilers. It ain't a Slayer or La Marzocco or other top end machines, but I know it will be amazing.

In terms of beans, I will continue using Stumptown Hair Bender, Intelligentsia Black Cat, and my new favorites, the 49th Parallel blends, and Espresso Vivace Dolce.

Would love to hear from other espresso lovers...

-ack
Hello fellow Rocket owner!

Using a R58 for the last 5 years, still in love.

What grinder are you using?

Reactions: ack

VLS

Mar 7, 2019
Boston, MA
Arriving next week, the Rocket Espresso Mozzafiato Evoluzione Type R

Would love to hear from other espresso lovers...

-ack

I recently got a chance to try a friend's new "Decent" machine: https://decentespresso.com/overview

This, I believe is a unique approach in consumer machines, in that the temperature and pressure trajectories are precisely controlled via customizable software. The machine comes with a library of pre-set profiles.

In a side-by-side comparison with my Rancilio Silvia the results were impressive: a consistent production of really exceptional shots, of a quality I only typically achieve maybe once out of every five attempts, even with 15+ years of experience with my machine.

Once set up, brewing was really simple.

The Decent is a contender for my next machine, once the Silvia gives up its ghost.

Reactions: ack

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I use to be able to get drunk, and be sober by bed time if it was red wine and I didn't have too much. (like a bottle, not two+) And no hangovers. Now it might keep me awake the entire night... even though there is no caffeine. And I'm less than half your age. I don't get it. I just know life can be very boring when you can't engage with so many things.

I can't really process alcohol if I drink too often, my body filters it out very quickly, leaving me with an instant hangover which can also kill a nights sleep. But tbh alcohol just doesn't effect me the same way as most so it's appeal is limited anyways. Probably a blessing...

Look on the bright side, you can always join Gregadd in his ascetic cult! :)

Reactions: the sound of Tao

leyenda

Mar 2, 2011
I recently got a chance to try a friend's new "Decent" machine: https://decentespresso.com/overview

This, I believe is a unique approach in consumer machines, in that the temperature and pressure trajectories are precisely controlled via customizable software. The machine comes with a library of pre-set profiles.

In a side-by-side comparison with my Rancilio Silvia the results were impressive: a consistent production of really exceptional shots, of a quality I only typically achieve maybe once out of every five attempts, even with 15+ years of experience with my machine.

Once set up, brewing was really simple.

The Decent is a contender for my next machine, once the Silvia gives up its ghost.

Now this is something that ticks my boxes, thanks for posting! I will seriously look into it. My old Silvia gave up many many years ago and its not worth it to repair.

Reactions: VLS

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Look on the bright side, you can always join Gregadd in his ascetic cult! :)

Sorry, membership is closed.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
To answer Steve's question on espresso beans, yes, I would try anything that's a medium roast, as I believe what makes an espresso blend/bean is up in the air. I would not use dark roasts - e.g. "French" - as they are typically burnt and taste bitter, especially the ones that are so mutilated that their oils are belching out.

Next, regarding Greek/Turkish coffee, the right way to brew it is slowly in heated sand. Finally, regarding Arabic coffee, I find it extra-ordinary when they put cardamom in it.

Last edited:
Reactions: the sound of Tao

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
To answer Steve's question on espresso beans, yes, I would try anything that's a medium roast, as I believe what makes an espresso blend/bean is up in the air. I would not use dark roasts - e.g. "French" - as they are typically burnt and taste bitter, especially the ones that are so destroyed that their oils are blenching out.

Next, regarding Greek/Turkish coffee, the right way to brew it is slowly in heated sand. Finally, regarding Arabic coffee, I find it extra-ordinary when they put cardamom in it.
You lost me in the cardamom I’ve had that in Asia. I am not a cardamom fan

How do you heat in sand. I find that intriguing

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Watch this

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Interesting idea Steve.

You can buy a sand heater for not very much (especially compared to espresso machine).

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Regarding Steve's question about how do we determine grind granularity... always an interesting and tough question, and I reach out to the roasters for optimal dosing weight first, and then, I adjust grind granularity to get the optimal brewing pressure, according to the gauge in my machines, while still aiming for a dry coffee puck at the end, and as long as brewing time is around 25-30 seconds for a double. For example, Hair Bender is prescribed at 19.5g by Stumptown, and that's where I settled for best taste as well, after experimenting between 18 and 21 grams. Black Cat tastes best at 18g. Other blends may work better at a more typical 17-18g per dose. I pull a shot in under 30 seconds, and the crema can linger for at least 5 minutes.

One day, I hope to see this from my machine (pulled off the net):

Reactions: 12elfthfloor

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing