The Colibri “Master Signature”

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Tim,

Remember I listen mainly to digital, it is the format where most of my music is available and that I prefer for many classical recordings.

It is still difficult for me to separate the vdH Master Signature Strad from the EMT927/SEM3012R tonearm. The whole system is clearly the better vinyl setup I have owned, but I have been focusing on listening mainly to different electronics in the Soundlab's in the last weeks.

I appreciate the energy, slam, fine detail and good tracking in the vdH MSS - I hate the vinyl modulation noise, I do not want to "feel the groove" when listening to music. But I have used it mostly on modern jazz and some nostalgia rock, that are not good references for sharing an appraisal of the cartridge.

Thanks for your frank follow-up!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Who is Kevin Scott and what arm is he using?

Tang

Kevin is the guy behind the vox olympian and Kondo UK. In the vox palladian room he had Kuzma 4p (Tima uses same arm), Stabi M, and the vdh with all Kondo gear at Munich this year, and the master sig was also on the Schick arm of the modded Garrard in the WE room. The crimson strad was in their room last year, and they let me compare it to a Tsar DST/Schroeder set up on a couple of records. The vdh as was played there last year, this year, and in the vox palladian room was just fantastic, but they all stressed the point of that loading is crucial for this cartridge and needs to be configured to the tonearm.

It is why I wanted a confirmation about Definitive Audio before posting - from the Definitive Audio site concerning tonearms:

" The SME Series V tone arm is a modern classic that looks as fresh today as the day it was introduced in the early 1980s. At Definitive Audio we supply SME with Kondo silver internal wire – this is exclusive to us and of considerable importance to our clients. Any audiophile looking for the highest performance with peace of mind need look no further. "

I could not find any endorsement to any other turntable brand other than SME in this site.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
They definitely have a Kuzma XL in their showroom at Living Voice.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi does kuzma and also the Viv tone arm. The apogee diva system that Marc heard, the guy had the kuzma xl4, Viv, and Kondo pre (used to drive the spectral power) supplied by Kevin. Anyway the diva guy after trying out many SS amps (though not top models, more like dagostino progression, burmester 911, and a few others) has now changed to all AR, using the AR 250SE planning to visit sometime for a listen. His favorite SS amps of the ones he tried was actually Gamut

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I suspect the site (as with many) is not quite up to date across all its pages. I remember Alvin Lloyd telling me about the new distributorship for the UK but did not know it was finalized.

Taken today, this is under "News" on the Definitive Audio Web dated June 2018:

Definitive Audio Web Site 2018-09-09_0-46-33.jpg

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
@Tang
please try the vdh master signature on MC1 or MC2 with your CHP P1 (the current and not the voltage input)

as nearly all MC Carts , the vdh colibri does not have exactly the same length of wire for the coils.
The colibri has on one channel around 1/3 to 1/5 of the round more wire than the other channel.
Means, that one channel has s little different DC resistance, means, that one channel likes to have a little different load impedance to see the same load .

The good thing on a "current mode" MC input is, that it works independent from the Coil's DC resistance.

The vdh Grail Phonostage has exactly for this reason an "current mode" MC stage.

So you can expect on MC1&MC2 of your CHP P1 a more balanced and precise sound, as both channels will see exactly the same gain.

Independent from the load, I prefer the dynamic of the MC1&MC2 inputs compared to the MC3.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Thanks Shakti. Ihavent played it through the P1. Will try as you suggested.

Kind regards,
Tang

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
On the EMT this Master Sig. is more dynamic and explosive than all carts I have on AS2000. I already talked about the tone on previous post. I hope Micro could comment what he hears on this regard. I want to check if the cart I have is offering the same tone or not. I have been told by a few people that the quality control of VdH is not the best. In the past two days I have been tuning the VdH on Axiom EMT but to be honest I still can’t reach the realism level I get from all the carts I have on AS2000. It is not apple to apple so I don’t want to make comments and give possible false impressions. I will write again when I move this VdH on the 3012R/AS2000.

Kind regards,
Tang

Lovely music

Is it Max Richter “mercy” ?

To be honest your video is a bit overemphasis in the treble

Also is your record a little off centre seems a slight wavering in the pitch ?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Lovely music

Hi awsmone,

Yes it is Max Richter’s Mercy.

I hear it differently. The sound from my video came from Ayon Phono which actually accentuate mids more with some roll off in the highs comparing to every carts through EMT phono on AS2000 rig.

I think the sound of your video of her in concert has a clarity but is compressed with no life. Your own recording of this vinyl is way better. You are correct that the sound of my video is skewed to the left. I don’t know why. Real listening it’s very center. Probably my amateur video taking skill.

It would be lots more fun if friends here spend some time making video and show it like you and me.

What cart were you using in the video?

Tang :)

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Hi awsmone,

Yes it is Max Richter’s Mercy.

I hear it differently. The sound from my video came from Ayon Phono which actually accentuate mids more with some roll off in the highs comparing to every carts through EMT phono on AS2000 rig.

I think the sound of your video of her in concert has a clarity but is compressed with no life. Your own recording of this vinyl is way better. You are correct that the sound of my video is skewed to the left. I don’t know why. Real listening it’s very center. Probably my amateur video taking skill.

It would be lots more fun if friends here spend some time making video and show it like you and me.

Actually the Axion arm is also midrangey yet you still thave a wonderful sound, you'll get more out of the Colibri when you move it over to the AS and the 3012.

david

jdza

May 3, 2010
Tang

Was that recorded from your speakers in room? If so,that is astonishing clarity. Really very well done.

I am not at all familiar with any of your components but a near audio lifetime with v d Hul type styli are going to make me stick my neck out : I feel that that cartridge is on the cusp of its best. May I suggest dropping the VTA just a hair. Anything more than virtually nothing and the magic is going to be totally gone but just that hint of a turn on the knob and you may well snap into absolute perfection .

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
May I suggest dropping the VTA just a hair. Anything more than virtually nothing and the magic is going to be totally gone but just that hint of a turn on the knob and you may well snap into absolute perfection .

Indeed so. It is that tiny increment that get you the magic or not.

I don’t know how to record like Mr. Fremer so I just made all my videos from speakers singing.

Kind regards,
Tang

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hello Tang!

Where is the ZYX UNIverse Premium now? Is he retired or is he on the bench awaiting a new ride?

Tinka (who is always trying to travel under the camouflage of an audio trip for me) asks about once a week: "Why don't we go visit that nice Thailand fellow you talk about?"

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Hello Tang!

Where is the ZYX UNIverse Premium now? Is he retired or is he on the bench awaiting a new ride?

Tinka (who is always trying to travel under the camouflage of an audio trip for me) asks about once a week: "Why don't we go visit that nice Thailand fellow you talk about?"

Hi Ron,

The ZYX is on the SAT doing nothing..hehe. It is beyond our ability to play it without skidding right from the satart of the first song. I think this cart is too light for SAT. But I didn’t bother to take it off in order to show it off to you. ;)

340EB78D-016E-494A-B927-200F6A52FF85.jpg

I am waiting for my 3rd 3012r to arrive. Then I will dismount SAT and put it on instead.

Your lady Tinka has taste my friend.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Lovely music

I see no video in your post, but the skimpy html suggests it is on youtube. Could you kindly post links to them. Thank you.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
I don’t think I understand your post?

When I press your link I get video

Yes the video is on YouTube

I am not sure what your asking for ?

Hillary Hahn performed many of these pieces live

It’s the point of the retrospective record

She speaks before each track :)

Sorry what is “skimpy”

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I don’t think I understand your post?

When I press your link I get video

Yes the video is on YouTube

I am not sure what your asking for ?

Hillary Hahn performed many of these pieces live

It’s the point of the retrospective record

She speaks before each track :)

Sorry what is “skimpy”

I do not see your videos in your post.
Skimpy is the psuedo HTML used by the forum software. That is how i knew about youtube.

Can you post the links to Youtube? <===

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing