The Digital Director - A new MSB product improving everything from the source to the output

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Great news for MSB fans.
MSB will debut a new product series at the High End Munich 2022 show.
I have got the info but my contacts have asked me to keep it a secret until MSB gives the official pre-Munich show press release this or next week.

What I can disclose here now is that the products are for current MSB dac owners as add-on.
There will be 3 products in this new series but each of them can match with all the four levels of MSB dac.

I am 100% certain that this will enable MSB dac to remain competitive with the new flagship dac of other brands in the market.

Also there will be some minor changes on the headphone amps but the real highlight is the new add-on product series I mentioned above..

Stay tuned!
:cool:

Last edited:

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
I read the press release and still have no idea what exactly it does? Sounds like it has multiple digital inputs and then upsamples with various filters and dejitters to feed their DACs? (In that way it would be like HQ Player providing up sampling filtering, combined with a digital switcher and reclocker/dejittering device that is synced to the DAC?)

Reactions: rbbert

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Any WBF members will attend the High End Munich 2022?

If yes, please get more info from the MSB staff in their booths.

Also hope that there will be direct comparison of MSB dac with & without the Digital Directors.

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Looks like a d2d converter

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
The question is if the Digital Director is superior sounding to the ProUSB if someone needs USB only.

Matt

Reactions: ICUToo

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
This isn't the first time MSB had a digital director. They had a DDX-6000. I guess the soon to be released one is based on current MSB designs and I'm sure does a lot more than the DDX-6000.

I did find the following MSB page for additional info although all the info so far is the same as the OP post.

I know I would like to try one to see how much of an improvement it makes. Now the big question is what will it cost o_O

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
What are exactly the differences between the three "Directors"?

Looks like the Reference and Select digital directors have upgraded PS. I'm guessing there are other upgrades besides the chassis which match the DACs.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
i thought Vince G is on here ? Has anyone or even himself posted about this new product

also the one item msb is missing is a server / streamer. I asked him years ago and no appetite back then.

Reactions: win

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
also the one item msb is missing is a server / streamer. I asked him years ago and no appetite back then.
Indeed,
it will make sense if the Digital Director works as a streamer as well but unfortunately this seems not to be the case.

Matt

Armsan

Jan 28, 2016
Portugal
Indeed,
it will make sense if the Digital Director works as a streamer as well but unfortunately this seems not to be the case.

Matt
Matt, if you have the Renderer v2 module, with the BubbleUPnP control point in a Android device, you have a streamer. It lacks the play from RAM of the best streamers but it’s very good sounding one.

Reactions: CKKeung

Armsan

Jan 28, 2016
Portugal
Also, just from the photos, it seems that we can insert the Renderer v2 module into the Digital Director.

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Also, just from the photos, it seems that we can insert the Renderer v2 module into the Digital Director.
Yes,
but with Taiko Extreme it makes more sense to use the ProUSB than the Renderer.

Matt

Armsan

Jan 28, 2016
Portugal
Yes,
but with Taiko Extreme it makes more sense to use the ProUSB than the Renderer.

Matt
Indeed. I didn’t know you have one.

Young Skywalker

Apr 30, 2012
From what I understand, following correspondence with the Australian distributor, the Digital Director is a separate chassis with its own low-noise power supply. Existing MSB DAC owners (Discrete, Premier, Reference and Select) will move their digital input modules across to the Digital Director chassis. A Pro-ISL and Control Link module is inserted into the available slots in your MSB DAC. The Pro-ISL interface then connects the Digital Director to your MSB DAC. Why go to all of this trouble and expense? It frees up processing power in the DAC and removes a source of noise. It add processing power to the digital inputs. The additional processing power is needed for new digital filters. It brings the isolation benefits of Pro-ISL to ALL digital input modules.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Matt, if you have the Renderer v2 module, with the BubbleUPnP control point in a Android device, you have a streamer. It lacks the play from RAM of the best streamers but it’s very good sounding one.
IMHO a new Renderer module should be the next project of MSB.

The current Renderer V2 is convenient but not in the same league of the top servers/streamers in the market.

Reactions: Armsan

Levitator

Jul 1, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
From what I understand, following correspondence with the Australian distributor, the Digital Director is a separate chassis with its own low-noise power supply. Existing MSB DAC owners (Discrete, Premier, Reference and Select) will move their digital input modules across to the Digital Director chassis. A Pro-ISL and Control Link module is inserted into the available slots in your MSB DAC. The Pro-ISL interface then connects the Digital Director to your MSB DAC. Why go to all of this trouble and expense? It frees up processing power in the DAC and removes a source of noise. It add processing power to the digital inputs. The additional processing power is needed for new digital filters. It brings the isolation benefits of Pro-ISL to ALL digital input modules.
Thanks for the extra info, makes a bit more sense although hearing will be everything as always…were you given any details on pricing?

Reactions: Young Skywalker

Young Skywalker

Apr 30, 2012
Thanks for the extra info, makes a bit more sense although hearing will be everything as always…were you given any details on pricing?
I believe it will be priced at 24,500 USD for the Reference model.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing