The Direct to Disc thread

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Mike, I saw that on eBay before you bought it, there was quite a lot of bidding activity. It was actually on the site when you posted about it the first time.

it's the first 'Take 2' pressing i've seen for sale in years. i had looked from time to time and then saw that one.

for me with the personal history with that session in my room with Winston and the resulting FIM CD, i felt a personal connection that drove me to basically pay whatever it took to own it. it shipped Monday from Tokyo, i got it yesterday. it is a perfect condition jacket and pressing, and impressively low noise.

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
What about the “Take1”? Is it worth buying?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
the regular pressing of 'At Steinway' (LF-95001) is a solid direct-to-disc piano recording, worth owning for $10-$25 especially if you own the FIM CD as it's a fun comparison with the CD tracks.

the side 1 Chopin track is particularly interesting to me.

i'm a direct to disc pressing fan so it's one i would want to own. that's my 2 cents.

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Thanks Mike.

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
These days a lot of mediocre "audiophile" labeled vinyl costs over 35usd and I believe take 1 tops most of those, so for me, even take 1 is worth 30-50usd if in pristine condition...

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I bought the take 1 at $60.

Tang o_O

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
I bought the take 1 at $60.

Tang o_O
You were lucky Tang. I’ve just bought nm/nm Take 1 from Japan for €72 incl. shipping...

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I am in the process of receiving a sealed Sheffield Lab Thelma Houston, I’ve got the Music in me. Like many of us, I own several copies of this LP, but none in Mint condition with absolutely no noise, hopefully this sealed copy will do it for me.
Anyone else own a sealed copy of this title, or a very quiet mint copy?

Last edited:

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I am in the process of receiving a sealed Sheffield Lab Thelma Houston, I’ve got the Music in me. Like many of us, I own several copies of this LP, but none in Mint condition with absolutely no noise, hopefully this sealed copy will do it for me.
Anyone else own a sealed copy of this title, or a very quiet mint copy?

I have a NM very quiet copy, Davey. Sounds excellent.

Reactions: DaveyF

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I have a few sealed ones.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I have a few sealed ones.
Nice, how many play copies do you have? As I said, mine are all somewhat noisy, seems like this album was played a lot back in the day....and as such the typical copy is pretty noisy.Are your play copies noisy? I’m hoping the sealed copy will be quiet...should be.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Nice, how many play copies do you have? As I said, mine are all somewhat noisy, seems like this album was played a lot back in the day....and as such the typical copy is pretty noisy.Are your play copies noisy? I’m hoping the sealed copy will be quiet...should be.

I have one play copy, which I play until it gets too noisy, and then I go to the next sealed one. I bought multiple sealed copies of a bunch of things (Cheskys, Reference Recordings, Sheffields) like 20 years ago.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I have one play copy, which I play until it gets too noisy, and then I go to the next sealed one. I bought multiple sealed copies of a bunch of things (Cheskys, Reference Recordings, Sheffields) like 20 years ago.
Typically, how long have you found it takes to go through a copy? Hopefully, with today’s stylus profiles and better set ups, the time should be very considerable.
Do you also have M&K’s sealed? If so, that would be quite a score!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I recently heard this LP on a $850k system, it is a magnificent recording for those listeners who are seriously into piano.
Probably one of the best piano recordings I have ever heard.
F689459E-3F54-4ED8-8BA9-CB5F6E5928CF.jpeg

Reactions: kodomo

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I recently heard this LP on a $850k system, it is a magnificent recording for those listeners who are seriously into piano.
View attachment 46477
My system playing this recording is unbeatible Davey.

Tang :cool:

Reactions: bonzo75

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
View attachment 46477

This is one of our standbys. Excellent sound if the system is up to the challenge. It stood out in Rockitman's system.

Reactions: DaveyF

Manos_Bits

Apr 13, 2014
ATHENS - GREECE
www.aca.gr
hello..

there' not really "Take 1" release, this is the main release Jun Fukamachi At Steinway (Toshiba Records ?– LF-95001) .. and it's superb sounding.. side2/2nd track 'Ran Man' Jun plays both with keys but also with fingers directly inside the piano.. fantastic dynamics, harmonics and ambiance..

"Take 2" is just an experiment that never went to be released, that's way only very few copies are available, that makes it collectible and worthy but not better sounding.. as all 'take 2's' releases it's just an experimental re-arrange of microphones especially if we talk about D2D recording..

so enjoy the original !!

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I've posted many direct to disc recommendations in my music threads, but this one bears repeating here. Fantastic performance and killer sound.

View attachment 25548

Another killer big band direct disc

I just opened a sealed copy of this now, and it's as good as it gets. Excellent dynamics and nice selections, including the last track - Theme from Rocky - kind of like the 'endgame'. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing