The Direct to Disc thread

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 25, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thelma Houston’s “I’ve Got the Music in Me” (Sheffield Lab LAB-2) is one of my standard “test” tracks. I played it tonight at a friend’s house on his new YG Sonja XV Jr. system. “I’ve Got the Music in Me” is the first track on the record.

When people have asked me “so how is the rest of the album?” I always reply “there’s nothing good after the first track.” I always said this because I have listened to the second track, and I decided I did not like the second track.

Tonight the needle glided into the third track as we continued to talk after we listened to the first track.

Well, it turns out that THE THIRD TRACK IS GREAT!!!

So all of you who have this album go listen to the third track, and tell me what you think.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thelma Houston’s “I’ve Got the Music in Me” (Sheffield Lab LAB-2) is one of my standard “test” tracks. I played it tonight at a friend’s house on his new YG Sonja XV Jr. system. “I’ve Got the Music in Me” is the first track on the record.

When people have asked me “so how is the rest of the album?” I always reply “there’s nothing good after the first track.” I always said this because I have listened to the second track, and I decided I did not like the second track.

Tonight the needle glided into the third track as we continued to talk after we listened to the first track.

So all of you who have this album go listen to the third track, and tell me what you think.
Guilty here. Always used the first track, and it was told to me that it was Mark Levinson's favorite test track. Will listen to the rest some more later.

PeterA

Dec 7, 2011
North Shore of Boston

I love the third track and I think I suggested that you should pay attention to it for quite a long time. I happen to like the whole album but the first and third tracks are fantastic and I also like the fourth.

One never knows what he might discover if he simply sits through the whole side of an album. Generally, if I love the first track, I eagerly look forward to hearing what is on the rest of the recording.

Last edited:

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Greater Phoenix Area

There are a couple good ones in there one or two on the other side also.
I feel the same way about the King James album.

PeterA

Dec 7, 2011
North Shore of Boston

Ron, I had some friends over last night. After dinner, they wanted to hear some music. They are not audiophiles in any sense, but they love music and were very curious about my vinyl system. They had never been to my house before, so I played a variety of stuff: big band, Beethoven's Ninth, choral music, Musakala's Coal Train. Husband and wife hearing perhaps a high end system for the first time, sitting in the dark. The husband requested Led Zeppelin II. Another guy wanted LZ 4, and they both wanted it blasted. They actually commented about how some recordings were better than others and even though they had not heard Zeppelin reproduced like that, they did not love the recording quality. Three hours later, after midnight, these previous recordings were all just a preview for what we ended with: This very one and only D2D Thelma Houston LP.

I asked them if they knew Whitney Houston. They said of course they did. Well, I told them, this is her mother. I played the first and then third tracks. Very loud. They clapped when it was over. I explained that it was a direct to disk and that it was one of my better sounding records. They were stunned at how realistic it sounded and on their way out said that they preferred that experience to hearing such music live because they thought it was so clean, so pure, so immediate a sound. No trumpet blasting in their left ears, no voice coming out of a monitor on the ceiling, they could hear all the instruments clearly. I found those comments interesting.

It made quite an impression on them. I guess the three bottles of wine must have helped also. I have you to thank for bringing this LP to my attention and I guess for indirectly leaving this music listening impression on my two friends.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2018
About Thelma and Whitney -- oddly, they are NOT related!!! Strange, huh? BTW, I used to have the vinyl back some 40+yrs ago, but the CD is pure DolbyA, and shreaks...

John

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high-end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing