The fabulous Silversmith Fidelium Speaker Cable

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
... the end sentence: "And Jeff says not only are the matching interconnects coming soon, but he has another speaker cable offering in development that will offer three times better performance than that of the Fidelium ...
I am most interested in these two coming creations of Jeff!

gipe

Oct 15, 2019
France
Very happy with this article with a well deserved enthusiasm for these cables. I acquired them as soon as they were launched and I am more than satisfied with them.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hello All of you Fidelium sc owners,

Is it feasible for you to talk with and invite Jeff to share more on this WBF thread?
Particularly on his coming Fidelium interconnect cables and high model sc.

Many thanks in advance!

Reactions: wcheng

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
I will be auditioning a pair of 8-footers next week. ;) It should be a very interesting comparison between the Fidelium and my current reference, the Iconoclast OFE speaker cables!

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
The regional Silversmith Audio dealer Derek Hsu was very kind to send me from Macau an 8-foot sampler pair last week. While many like Greg Weaver found them to be revelatory, unfortunately they didn’t work well in my system. While the punchier bass was very welcome, phase integrity, especially in the highs but also in the midrange, was not consistent enough for my taste.

Calling out to audiophiles in Hong Kong - would you also like to conduct a home audition of the Fidelium loudspeaker cables before I send them back?

Please let me know ASAP !

Last edited:
Reactions: Adco and Hamburger

Testy Troll

Dec 29, 2015
QuadDiff,
Sorry (and surprised) that the Fideliums didn't work out for you.
My take is totally opposite from yours.
System synergy is a fascinating thing.....

gipe

Oct 15, 2019
France
Very surprised too. This is the first time I read this. One of the characteristics of these cables being precisely their balance over the whole spectrum.

Because of their design, unlike twisted strands, they are neither ascending nor descending.

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
Thanks to the Iconoclast OFE speaker cables, my system‘s performance has been pretty-much flawless - displacing them would have required some very special magic and synergy.
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/belden-iconoclast-cables.25505/page-2#post-681274

And here’s some pleasure reading for speaker cable nerds out there, courtesy of Galen Gareis:

While I’m sure the Fidelium speaker cables will enable many systems to reach new heights, for whatever reason they didn’t elevate MY system’s performance by outclassing the Iconoclast OFEs. I’m very grateful for the opportunity to have auditioned them, and would like to extend my goodwill to others in Hong Kong who may also want to try listening to them.

Last edited:

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
The regional Silversmith Audio dealer Derek Hsu was very kind to send me from Macau an 8-foot sampler pair last week. While many like Greg Weaver found them to be revelatory, unfortunately they didn’t work well in my system. While the punchier bass was very welcome, phase integrity, especially in the highs but also in the midrange, was not consistent enough for my taste.
I have no horse in the race, and no intent to audition either cable. But I'm genuinely curious to hear a further description of "phase integrity" and your method of evaluating it. Please be specific. Thanks!

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
Speaker cables are very system dependent and synergy is always important. Having said that, I am surprised by his findings too. Regardless, I appreciate the cable companies giving trial period to test. That tells how much they believe in their products. I heard Silversmith is trying on a newer cables, which are 33% better than fideliums. I may be wrong, but if it is true, it will be one heck of a cable for sure.

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
The most talented and transparent cable designer extant - Galen Gareis’ views on ribbon speaker cables; there are additional posts of his in this thread:

Reactions: DaveC

Testy Troll

Dec 29, 2015
The most talented and transparent cable designer extant - Galen Gareis’ views on ribbon speaker cables; there are additional posts of his in this thread:
One man's opinion.
My ears tell me all I need to know....

Reactions: Argonaut

Testy Troll

Dec 29, 2015
A tweak that improved the sound: The Enacom Noise Filter (speaker type).
Placed across the speaker terminals (across the tweeter terminals if you bi-wire), I heard an improvement in the critical Upper Midrange/ Lower Treble response.
Sweeter, but with added clarity.

Note: Do not attach this device between the Fidelium and the speaker post.
This defeats the purpose of the cable's novel direct interconnect topology.
With my Edison Price terminal posts, I was able to jam the two Enacom leads into it's open top, thus avoiding contacting the Fidelium itself.
If you don't have this capability, I would recommend not doing it.

The Enacoms are pretty cheap on EBAY and as such are worth a shot.

Jeffy

Apr 27, 2014
Orchard Lake, MI
Nordost figured this out long time ago. They have a special machine that makes sure the strands are exactly the same length and equal distant apart. Fidelium doesn't use strands its a very thin piece of foil.

Narayan

Oct 6, 2015
"And Jeff says not only are the matching interconnects coming soon, but he has another speaker cable offering in development that will offer three times better performance than that of the Fidelium" let´s see if it turns out to be true.
Does anyone have news on the matching interconnects and the even better performing new speaker cable? No mention of them on their web page / blog.

Testy Troll

Dec 29, 2015
Does anyone have news on the matching interconnects and the even better performing new speaker cable? No mention of them on their web page / blog.
Why not call him directly?
He's more than willing to talk to his customers....

Mrmb

Jun 30, 2014
Based on their pricing and their uniqueness, a few days ago, I bought a pair of Fideliums to trial. They’re competition were Nordost Tyr II’s and Iconoclast (by Belden) -- an OFE wire pair and a SPTPC wire pair. Along with the Fidelium’s, these 3 were unowned audition pairs. My previous Synergistic Research “Absolute Reference” cables developed a short, so I was in need of speaker cables.

Long story short, the Fidelium's are keepers, by comparison, the other’s aren’t. There were NO readily apparent, significantly obvious differences between the cables frequency response wise. Perhaps with more extended A/B testing, I might have had an all-around frequency winner, but I didn’t care, because I heard sounds coming from a blackness the others didn’t possess! That was the 1st. positive that immediately stuck me. The 2nd positive was an overall smoothness that was immediately apparent. Perhaps that was attributed to how the note's leading & trailing edges were handled, or to a lack of distortion, I’m not sure exactly why, nor do I care, because it was out of the norm, appreciated and immediately preferred over the other cables. Both of these attributes were niceties with the price of $1,195 (8-ft pair) being even nicer, when compared to the ~$5k Nordost and ~$2 & 2.5k Iconoclast. As such, I too am looking forward to a potential Jeffrey Smith Interconnect.

My pocketbook will be opened, because my hat is tipped to Mr. Smith. It’s nice to see an inventively designed product that performs well above its price point and there is no inclusion of magic boxes (fore & aft, &/or plugged into the mains etc.), mysterious fluid fillings, magnetic this or that, quantum tunneling, cryogenic treatments etc. Of course the same could be said for the other cables I trialed, especially the Iconoclast's whose design philosophy is well publicized and widely discussed.

By the way:
My front-end is a dCS Rossini DAC; amplification is Atma-sphere MA-1 OTL monoblocks and SoundLab Majestic 845 full-range Electrostatic speakers.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing