The Fremer lays an ostrich egg thread

I have a recollection that someone mentioned the amplifier in question was an ML-rebadged version of an OEM amplifier, but can't remember any specifics.

Does this (pre)ring a bell? Anyone remember?

If I remember correctly ML the dude not the company did some rebadging (Red Rose) but haven't heard anything about ML the company doing it at all especially not the 53.

If I remember correctly ML the dude not the company did some rebadging (Red Rose) but haven't heard anything about ML the company doing it at all especially not the 53.

It was a cheap Chinese amp that turned into an expensive Red Rose Amp.

Here it is:

korsun.jpg

There’s nothing like a good demo to change one’s opinion of what are now called Harman Luxury Audio components for the better. I had previously heard the pairing of JBL’s visually striking NDD66000 Everest loudspeaker ($60,000/pair) with Mark Levinson electronics at the speaker’s debut at CES a few years back. Although the buzz around the speaker was major, I recall thinking how dark and monochromatic the system sounded, and how it lacked the luminosity and color that I prefer.
Here, by contrast, the sound was some of the best solid-state sound I heard at the show. Home Audio Sound of Colorado paired the JBL speaker with the Mark Levinson No.502 media console ($35,000, discontinued, and being used solely as an analog stereo preamplifier), Mark Levinson No512 CD player ($15,000), and a pair of Mark Levinson No.53 monoblock amplifiers ($50,000/pair, to be reviewed by Mikey Fremer in the December Stereophile). Equally important were the products from Transparent Audio: RXL8–Transparent Reference XL speaker cables ($13,190/set), BRXL1–Transparent Reference XL balanced interconnects (2 pair, $18,530 total), PLMM2–Transparent PowerLink MM power cords (3, $6300 total), and PIR–PowerIsolator Reference power conditioner ($3195). Together, the chain produced a wonderful, big presentation in which lively, beautiful highs mated with impressively deep, admirably solid percussion.

“Bass lovers will have a field day,” I wrote in my notes of a system in which the entire spectrum of sound seemed of one very satisfying piece.
101812-HomeAudioSound-600.jpg

Big fan of those JBL's. I'd love to have a pair someday, but I'm thinking SET amp instead. But that was nice sound indeed in that room.

Ditto, I heard the K2 with some small Viva amps and it knocked my socks off. The Everest isn't very efficient though, not sure my Lamm ML2 would drive 'em well. I haven't heard the Everest. I like its looks better than the K2. It's pretty imposing. Once I get re-situated, I'm gonna start thinking about a bigger horn system than the one i have. That one is certainly on the list to hear.

96 db, "not that efficient?" That would certainly work well with my 845 amps. Or maybe a Kronzilla would be in order. Hmmmm. Maybe when I retire.

I bet your Lamms would work great with a pair of those.

96 db, "not that efficient?" That would certainly work well with my 845 amps. Or maybe a Kronzilla would be in order. Hmmmm. Maybe when I retire.

I bet your Lamms would work great with a pair of those.

I guess it's all relative. My Avantgardes are 104db without the factory mod, which makes them 106 db, i think. Looks like you can biamp 'em though, using the internal passive crossovers? I know that there are always issues with mixing amps.

Those Avantegardes' are another speaker I'd love to own someday. Always loved them.

The Duos are visually imposing but capable of subtle nuance.

So this guy previously hated the Levinsons' and now he loves them. He must be on the take. Harman must have taken out a big ad in his magazine. He listened at a show in a treated room. No blind or a/b testing. Give me a chance. I can show his first impression was correct. How could his subjective positive opinion have any credibility at all. I bet he hates vinyl and think tubes amp suck too.
For anybody who does not believe this amp sucks I will provide an in home demo.(tongue planted firmly in cheek):b

I hope we can close this thread now. We should be able to admit that Fremers impression of the ML 53 was just that; his informed opinion. Give it what weight you think it deserves.

Last edited:
Greg, you do realize that he is a recent new member of the forum right? Posts like that are a definite deterrent for him wanting to participate, at least it would be for me. How would you feel if someone posted something like the post above about a review you did?

Tom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing