The Humble Nad 1300 Preamp: Inside and Out

DaveSpectral

Aug 30, 2010
Near Chicago
I have had an eye out for this Pre for a long time. While it is not up to my vintage Threshold, and Spectral gear, (see my posts on those) for the cost of $100-$250 on Ebay, it is a FANTASTIC deal. It is all Class-A circuitry, and when left on it runs a tad under lukewarm. The red-lined rack handles are incredibly rare. I bet when NAD started this on their assembly line, they designed these handles as an option and made very few of them. They red highlights make it look real SNAZZY! I think NAD tries a bit too hard to sell their overly DULL, dollar per value image. They could have at least used Satin-black paint like my Hafler DH-110 had.
To discuss the circuitry design is above my paygrade. I know there are many people here who can take one look at the internal shots and explain it all.

For a young person on a budget, who is just starting out with separate audio gear, BUY ONE OF THESE as the heart of your system! The specs are off the hook, and it sounds very good. I paid $100 for the pre from Chicago Craigslist, and $45 for the handles from Ebay. I bought this to test other gear with, that I plan on selling.

Stereophile review, 1988: https://www.stereophile.com/content/nad-monitor-series-1300-preamplifier
From Hifi Engine: Flyer, Owners manual, SCHEMATIC, and '88 catalog are all below.
https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/nad/1300.shtml

Attachments

• 1 Front smaller.JPG
    1 Front smaller.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 26
  • 2 Rear smaller.jpg
    2 Rear smaller.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 30
  • 3 Front Internal  smaller.JPG
    3 Front Internal smaller.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 34
  • 4 Rear Internal smaller.jpg
    4 Rear Internal smaller.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 40
I see my previous post was deleted. So much for honesty and the truth. I'm done with this forum and its BS politically correct censorship.

Reactions: DaveSpectral
I see my previous post was deleted. So much for honesty and the truth. I'm done with this forum and its BS politically correct censorship.
GOOD!
I asked then to delete it because over the years I have spent close to one hundred thousand dollars on audio gear, and that you have no right to tell me where to post a cheaper piece like this, AND that you told me to post it somewhere else. I told them that you have many posts and you overestimate your own importance.
Hopefully, this really IS your last post here, because this post proves everything that I have told them.
We do not need you here.
Adios!! :)

Works for me. I was just trying to help and I don't overestimate my importance. Sorry you misinterpreted. I had no idea you have spent that much money on audio gear. Typically and as you may be aware, people use the budget priced NAD gear in a "starter" system. Great bang for the buck and I really have great respect for that company. I have had NAD gear in my previous systems.

And I do hope you get posts on this thread but I respectfully feel that you won't.

And you may want to chill out a bit. You don't know me at all and your response is overly aggressive and totally presumptuous to someone who, again, was trying to help.

BYE.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing