The Hunger Games

With regards to the Hunger Games, the backstory/character development was explained better in the book than it was in the movie. Things like how the Panem actually got formed into districts and how they actually got to the point to where they were at. The movie kinda went straight from present time into about a minute or two of reading to bring you up to date [with regards to the movie] and then BAM! The movie started and you learned the characters as you went along.

Hunger Games' Kills With Fifth-Best Opening Day Ever

Building on a strong midnight launch, The Hunger Games had one of the best opening days ever at an estimated $68.25 million. That ranks fifth on the all-time list behind Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 ($91.1 million), New Moon ($72.7 million), Breaking Dawn Part 1 ($71.6 million) and Eclipse ($68.5 million). It wound up slightly ahead of The Dark Knight ($71.6 million), and also topped Alice in Wonderland ($40.8 million) to set a new record for a non-sequel.The Hunger Games looks even more impressive when subtracting its $19.74 million midnight gross*throughout normal business hours, the movie earned $48.5 million, which is actually more than Deathly Hallows Part 2 made in that time ($47.57 million). In fact, The Hunger Games only ranks behind Spider-Man 3 ($49.8 million) and The Dark Knight ($48.7 million) in non-midnight opening day grosses. The Hunger Games received a strong "A" CinemaScore, and should finish the weekend with anywhere from $135 million to $160 million. It may be hard to believe,

Saw it w/my girls on opening day -- they loved it, I thought it was weak. Part of it is you could feel the filmmakers struggling w/PG-13 on what is a brutal story. Still, none of the deaths had much impact or consequence -- maybe Rae, the girl who help Katniss' during the game, but that's it. Didn't like the shakicam either -- makes the action feel generic, and the constant cutting doesn't allow the performances to develop much rhythym -- Woody Harrelson forex. is never allowed really establish a perfomance groove. Bottom line is that there are several obviously vivid moments in the story, but none register with much impact. As an example -- think about the beginning of the fight when everyone goes up in the tubes to the outdoors -- should be high anticipation and drama here -- the parade too as another example -- but it all just goes by at the same tension level as everything else.

thought this was right on:

http://www.vulture.com/2012/03/movie-review-the-hunger-games.html

See Winter's Bone, an excellent low indie thriller, and you'll understand why Jennifer Lawrence was an obvious (and good) choice.

Saw it w/my girls on opening day -- they loved it, I thought it was weak. Part of it is you could feel the filmmakers struggling w/PG-13 on what is a brutal story. Still, none of the deaths had much impact or consequence -- maybe Rae, the girl who help Katniss' during the game, but that's it. Didn't like the shakicam either -- makes the action feel generic, and the constant cutting doesn't allow the performances to develop much rhythym -- Woody Harrelson forex. is never allowed really establish a perfomance groove. Bottom line is that there are several obviously vivid moments in the story, but none register with much impact. As an example -- think about the beginning of the fight when everyone goes up in the tubes to the outdoors -- should be high anticipation and drama here -- the parade too as another example -- but it all just goes by at the same tension level as everything else.

thought this was right on:

http://www.vulture.com/2012/03/movie-review-the-hunger-games.html

See Winter's Bone, an excellent low indie thriller, and you'll understand why Jennifer Lawrence was an obvious (and good) choice.

she was nominated for Winter's Bone

The audio editors forgot a number of cannon shots. This was the cue supposed to add tension after every death. It's a countdown. Did anybody else notice that?

Director Gary Ross says no to `Catching Fire'

LOS ANGELES — Gary Ross says he won't direct "Catching Fire," the second installment in Lionsgate's blockbuster "The Hunger Games" franchise.

In a statement Tuesday, Ross says "after difficult but sincere consideration," he decided not to direct the film. He blames limited time to write and prep the film because of the fixed, tight production schedule.

Ross says making "The Hunger Games" was the happiest experience of his professional life. He also denies reports that negotiations with Lionsgate had been problematic.

Lionsgate officials say in response that they're "very sorry" Ross has chosen not to direct "Catching Fire" but they look forward to working with him on future projects.

"Catching Fire" is the second installment in the franchise based on Suzanne Collins' book series. It's scheduled for release in November 2013.

My teen daughter was so giddy after watching this with her friends, and bought the 3 books right after. She finished reading the 3 books in a few days and I tried reading The Hunger Games without seeing the movie. Honestly, I was sleepwalking through the first hundred pages and by page 140 I gave up. The narration was very mild despite mention of killing and hand battles. I just wasn't used to this style. Finally saw the movie the other day, it was good, but nothing great to me. And watching young teens killing each other and getting hacked isn't really my cup of tea.

Last edited:
older daughter gifted her 17 yr old sister with the 3 books last Christmas - which she read in 3 days. She described the story writing as "plain and easy to read, much like Harry Potter". I guess the books and the movie are targeted to the younger crowd, and like Harry Potter and the Twilight franchise - huge moneymaker. We watched the movie together - and while they seemed to enjoy it - they said Woody Harrelson's character was toned down a bit in the movie. I enjoyed it, but found it to be underwhelming as well. They killed the characters too easily, almost like doing Katnis a favor all the time. If I will write it or direct it, i would make the conflict a little deeper and make the main character debate within herself a little bit if she should kill an ally or not, based on the theme of the game.

older daughter gifted her 17 yr old sister with the 3 books last Christmas - which she read in 3 days. She described the story writing as "plain and easy to read, much like Harry Potter". I guess the books and the movie are targeted to the younger crowd, and like Harry Potter and the Twilight franchise - huge moneymaker. We watched the movie together - and while they seemed to enjoy it - they said Woody Harrelson's character was toned down a bit in the movie. I enjoyed it, but found it to be underwhelming as well. They killed the characters too easily, almost like doing Katnis a favor all the time. If I will write it or direct it, i would make the conflict a little deeper and make the main character debate within herself a little bit if she should kill an ally or not, based on the theme of the game.

i agree with your assessment, ding. they killed the characters too easily. but as you said, the books and the movie were meant for the younger generation and probably complexities would have to be avoided for the kids to easily ride on with the story line. my favorite part was when katniss dropped the genetically altered wasps on the bunch of killers down the tree. a moment of excitement while she was sawing the branch. :) my teen daughter can't believe how i could not reading the first parts of the book and my reasons for it. she just absolutely loved everything in the movie and in the 3 books. kudos to the writer for getting hold of this generation. i admit that it's not an easy thing to do, as only a few have really done it well.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing