The Know-It-All Audiophile

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
He's just mad because he doesn't know it all.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
He claims there are thousands, but I only thought about one name when I heard him describe the audiophile.

Vienna

VIP/Donor
I can think of some more

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Do you not think he has a valid point here? Precisely the reason a ran from a particular Audio Society that resides in the Los Angeles and Orange County area. Total overload of snobbery and BS.

To add to this specifically I was at one of their meetings and there was a young lad there, early 20's and I made conversation with him because I could read his body language of what he was feeling. I tried to keep him motivated and he ultimately called the BS and attitude and split never to be seen again, very sad.

Other than myself not a single person there acknowledged his presence.

Last edited:
Reactions: NorthStar

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I mean, does it need to be said? I think we all known, and most recognize a little self guilt at times.

Reactions: valkyrie

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
If you remove the snobbery, is audio even fun any more? What a buzz kill Darko is.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Yeah...Keep bitching on the world around him. Definitely Menopause.

Tang

Reactions: Folsom

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Without question it is a snivel fest on a high level. That being said, what happens when we croak? Do you care? Not your problem since you are worm food?
It is either an industry with a definite sunset, or we need to think about its future and do our part to keep bringing new meat into the fold.
I am quite sure the manufacturers that build us all this amazing equipment would appreciate the effort on our behalf.
Either that or Wilson/Magico and the rest better get their earbud game dialed in quick like.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al M.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
A true audiophile always knows he knows very little. And after sometime he knows that the Know-It-All Audiophiles do not like to be questioned about their beliefs and always find a way to avoid answering any difficult questions. :)

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Without question it is a snivel fest on a high level. That being said, what happens when we croak? Do you care? Not your problem since you are worm food?
It is either an industry with a definite sunset, or we need to think about its future and do our part to keep bringing new meat into the fold.
I am quite sure the manufacturers that build us all this amazing equipment would appreciate the effort on our behalf.
Either that or Wilson/Magico and the rest better get their earbud game dialed in quick like.

+1. Instead the manufacturers have decided to build devices for 50 old dudes rather than try and get 5,000 new audiophiles. Same people who think Steely Dan and James Taylor is hip at a show.

In 10 years the “glory days” audiophile will be in his late 70s and likely in a retirement home not in front of speakers.

dbeau

Apr 20, 2018
OKC,USA
+1. Instead the manufacturers have decided to build devices for 50 old dudes rather than try and get 5,000 new audiophiles. Same people who think Steely Dan and James Taylor is hip at a show.

In 10 years the “glory days” audiophile will be in his late 70s and likely in a retirement home not in front of speakers.

Speak for yourself: A month away from 79 and not in a retirement home and in front of my ref quality kit/speakers while expecting this to last for at least 10 more years ;)

Reactions: Lagonda and bazelio

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA

Ok Keith, I'm younger than you, so I can relate somewhat to the point. But there are problems, like how to you make something for 5,000 young audiophiles? By that I mean give me the low down on prices you think would work.

Another challenge is that I can't even deny despite that I like plenty or more recent music, it's almost exclusively to the 99.9th percentile, not nearly as alive or nuanced as old music on beat up LPs. So I listen to CDs in the car, but at home it's an immense struggle to appreciate all but some of the very best or select stuff. How do you draw young people in, besides revolutionizing the recording industry? Their shitty equipment (non-audiophile) doesn't struggle to reproduce all the stuff that is so much more dead than old vinyl.

I'd be up for the challenge to make big changes in the industry in different ways, but if you think audiophiles are stuck-up... God Damn, you haven't met audio engineers......

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I think the biggest obstacle is attention span in this age of instant gratification. Never in my life have I seen so many young people lose interest in anything that takes more than 2 clicks to satisfaction. It is affecting sports as measured in lack of attendance. Most sporting events are 3-4 hours all in, sometimes more, far to long for a very large part of the young persons life today. I do not see many of them sitting still for a few hours without staring at their phones.

As we keep inventing more and more technology to have less and less human interaction I don't see this getting any better anytime soon. Wall-E is not to far off the mark here.

I think an avenue is to somehow expose them to good sound through listening parties, events or casual gatherings. By that I mean not making good sound the focus of the event, but instead having such good sound that they take notice and when they do, do not overload them with stuff they will fall asleep listening to us run on at the mouth. They couldn't care less about flat frequency response curve.

To them good sound is EDC and the like. A report from my kids that have attended is the bass is so heavy it literally scrambles your insides and can make you puke. As you can see by the video there is a lot more to do than just listen to music.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing