The Krell Saga Continues

I sincerely hope they got it all done, Mark. You know what you'll have with that amp WITHOUT HUM.

Lee

It will be scary good Lee. It was scary good even with the damn low-level hum.

I just hope they really fixed the hum. I would hope that after having the amp for over 2 months they wouldn't send it back if it wasn't fixed. The good news I'm not being charged for the repair or shipping. I'm looking forward to getting this bad boy back in my system.

Hi mep, my friend own's a Krell KSA-250 with Thiels CS5 and he as no hum, they probably did find the culprit.

Krell sent me an email yesterday saying they found the source of the hum and they fixed it. They said it was "faulty capacitors in the power supply area" that were causing the hum. Today I received the shipping notification with a UPS tracking number so I should have the amp bext next week. I really hope they fixed it. Anybody want to buy a 9/10 ARC VS115?

Good news. Fingers crossed. i think you will breathe an enormous sigh of relief and just sink into enjoying the music if they got it right. Good luck and pls post.

Lee,
The thing that surprises me is that I paid for a "recap" job which I guess doesn't mean they replace all of the caps starting with the main filter caps. Again, hats off to them for not charging me a penny for this repair. If the KSA-250 comes back to me and works perfectly, I will send a letter of thanks.

Lee,
The thing that surprises me is that I paid for a "recap" job which I guess doesn't mean they replace all of the caps starting with the main filter caps. Again, hats off to them for not charging me a penny for this repair. If the KSA-250 comes back to me and works perfectly, I will send a letter of thanks.

Told you praying to St. Jude would work :)

It's Baaack!

My KSA-250 wasn't scheduled to arrive until Wednesday, but UPS Freight delivered it today while I was at work. I had to wait until my neighbor arrived home tonight to help me shlep it into my listening room. It is now installed and so far so good. When the relays clicked in, I didn't hear the dreaded low-level hum. We will see what we will see.

Attachments

• DSC02739.jpg
    DSC02739.jpg
    482.6 KB · Views: 247
My KSA-250 wasn't scheduled to arrive until Wednesday, but UPS Freight delivered it today while I was at work. I had to wait until my neighbor arrived home tonight to help me shlep it into my listening room. It is now installed and so far so good. When the relays clicked in, I didn't hear the dreaded low-level hum. We will see what we will see.

About as bulletproof as can be :) OTOH, have seen them rip the boxes off the pallets in shipping :(

Good luck! Pls keep us posted.

Hi mep, i was at my friend's house yesterday this is what whe where listening to, no hum what so ever just beautiful music his Krell KSA-250 like always was the star of the show.Michel Larouche 05.jpg

Cool. And it looks better in real life than it does in pictures.

So Mark, has the time come to send that letter of thanks? In other words, are you back in your sonic bliss or no?

Tom

I'm just hoping for the best for Mark and waiting for the fat lady to sing, Lee. ;)

Tom

I did send an email to Bill McKiegan to thank him for standing by their work and taking care of having my amp fixed and I let him know I’m happy.

And I am happy. Not having this amp for over two months, I almost forgot how much this amp brings to the table. Top to bottom, east to west, north to south, this amp is an ass-kicker. It elevates the sound quality of everything that plays through it. The soundstage is much bigger than the ARC VS115, all of the instruments on the soundstage are proportionately more life-sized, and it puts the chest and body back on the singer (remember the “singing head” phenomena I talked about before vis-à-vis the ARC VS115?).

Oh, and did I mention the bass? I guess I really don’t need to, but all I have to say is that everything you have read over the years about the quality and quantity of Krell bass is true. This amp will pressurize your room in a way that it has probably never been pressurized before. I have never owned an amp that can reproduce the bottom three octaves like the KSA-250 can. You would think that the mid and upper bass would be easy for just about any amplifier to reproduce correctly, but until you have heard an amp that can do what the KSA-250 does, you realize that’s not really true.

Instruments that play in the bottom 3 octaves have a ‘weight’ to them that goes missing with many (most?) amplifiers. It’s like you capture the upper partials of the bass tone, but you are not capturing the full note if that makes any sense in nonsensical audiophile land. We have lots of food products that have part of their great taste stripped out in order to save on calories. Think ‘light’ food products. I do think many amps are ‘bass light’ in comparison to the Krell.

In combination with the KBL preamp, the KSA-250 brings a purity of tone to your music that you might not have known existed. And by that I mean it simply sounds more ‘real’ due to the sheer power, scale, and very low distortion this combo possesses. When we don’t have that combination of power, scale, and low distortion, we are constantly reminded that we are listening to recordings vice listening to a musical performance. This combination simply does a better job of creating the illusion that you are hearing a live musical performance (whether that was in a venue or a recording studio) than anything else I have ever owned.

I could go on and on, but I won’t.

...and the fat lady is belting them out now...

Congrat's Mark! I'm glad to hear everything is back to sonic bliss for you. Enjoy the music.

Tom

Thanks Tom, Don, and Lee. I have no idea if later Krell products were actually better sounding, but where I'm at is a real good place to be.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing