The new audiophile vinyl series The Original Source from Deutsche Grammophon (AAA)

Thank you @tima and @Al M. for sharing your links. I put the pre-order in now for the Berlioz via your amazon links. I don't know why I couldn't find that album when I would put a search in Amazon's search bar for The Original Source Series.

I hope all four of my latest pre-orders via Amazon come thru! Really looking forward to hear what EBS did with these!

Thanks for all the help!
Best wishes,
Don

Reactions: Al M.
@tima - thanks! I guess I got myself cornfused. My brain wanted to make a generalization and put these in a known category. I suppose they are more akin to promo copies (there it goes again). I have some white label pressings somewhere in my collection. If I recall correctly, they are promo copies and marked not for sale.

The test pressings that I have typically have a white label. That's probably why I lumped these limited editions with test pressings.
View attachment 117121

Yes, I also have promo copies that have white labels -- these were sometimes given out to radio stations and libraries. As you suggest, often the white labels have information stamped on them such as "for promotion" or "not for resale" along with some info about the release. Sometimes stamps are put on the regular label too.

Such records usually have the same groove as regular resale copies and are not different in terms of music, although they may be among the first stamped, yielding a better 'press' than those stamped later in a run. Stampers wear out over time, with those records made early in a stamper lifespan offering a more 'perfect' groove. Otherwise white labels are sometimes thought of as collectibles just because they are different.

Vinyl-record-stamper-350x197.jpg
metal stamper

Hi Tima,

I don't know how you were able to find this on Amazon. Every time I type There oringal source vinyl, or variants of that into the search bar, I see the other Original Source Titles, but never the Berlioz. However, your link does work and bring it up. Do you think it's safe to order from the link that you provided?

I'm so sorry that I'm so technically challenged.

Best wishes,
Don

Sure, no problemo. As far as I'm concerned, any page that allows you to place an order - into your cart, then pay from the order page - is good to use.

Amazon can be a wee bit tricksy. Different search terms can yield different results. And they will show the same product on different pages from different vendors when you do a search. I look for 'ships from Amazon' (quicker shipping) and 'sold by Amazon' (can be easier to deal w/ Amazon customer service than 3rd party.)

Buenos suerte!

Reactions: No Regrets
I've bought the Songs without Words 3LPs a few years ago.
It was OK, but nowhere near the level of the original source series.

Yes. Recorded in 1974 so possibly on a 4-track tape recording exists which would make it eligible for the TOS treatment. For some reason I think that may indeed be an AAA release, but if an LP is not labeled as 'The Original Source' then ...

Amazon can be a wee bit tricksy. Different search terms can yield different results. And they will show the same product on different pages from different vendors when you do a search.
Seems that our purchasing of these LPs has hit Amazon's pattern detection. When I ordered the Mozart, Beethoven and Smetana the cart recommended the Berlioz as another LP to purchase with these. Showed up as "Frequently bought together".

Hello, i got all four of the third batch now.

I am listening to:

View attachment 117374
Hector Berlioz-Symphonie Fanastique op. 14
Boston Symphony Orchestra
Seiji Ozawa

Once more incredible silent vinyl and fantastic soundstage.
My third batch along with my second batch (as I ordered them both at the same time and didn't realise DG will deliver on the last pre-ordered batch ! :-( ) are on the way to me in the UK :)

Just got confusing tracking details, good to hear the third batches are arising. Just loving this series.

I have ordered all 4 from the third batch from Amazon, but no word yet on when they will arrive. Looking forward to receiving them though. I kinda feel like a little kid, anxiously awaiting Santa Claus to come down the chimney :D

In the meantime, still ordering other records as well. Just received the Hilary Hahn 45 rpm, 180g 2 LP set of Eugene Ysaye: Six Sonatas for Violin Solo, op.27 on DG.
https://www.amazon.com/EugŠne-Ysa˜-Sonatas-Violin-Solo/dp/B0BVNTXT2L
This is not part of The Original Source Series, but it is a fantastic recording, none the less. Quiet vinyl, rich string tones and dynamic.... wonderfully enjoyable to listen to while waiting for the next pre-order to arrive ;)

Best wishes,
Don

Last edited:
I kinda feel like a little kid, anxiously awaiting Santa Claus to come down the chimney :D

In the meantime ...

‘Twas the night before The Original Source Vinyl and all through the house

Not a record was spinning, not even by Strauss;

The masters were remixed by Emil Berliner Studios with care,

In hopes that a music lover soon would be there;

The audiophiles were nestled all snug in their listening rooms,

While amps and speakers matched their cable looms.

And an Amazon purchase from the computer in my lap,

And just cleaned a record to prevent electrostatic zap.

When out of the turntable there arose such a clatter,

I sprang from my listening chair to see what was the matter.

Away to platter I flew like a flash,

Called up the dealer and spent some more cash.

The four track mix from original quadro

Gave the timbre of mid-hall to the soundstage show,

When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,

But a Mahler 5th, I loved it so dear,

With a transient response, so lively and quick,

I knew in a moment it was a really great disc.

More rapid than eagles his masterings they came,

And he whistled, and shouted, and called them by name;

"Now, IEC! now, Baerwald! now, UNI-DIN and Loefgren!

On, Walker! on Rega! on, Avid and Linn!

To the top of the groove! to the top of the null!

Now spin away! spin away! spin away all!"

In the meantime, still ordering other records as well. Just received the Hilary Hahn 45 rpm, 180g 2 LP set of Eugene Ysaye: Six Sonatas for Violin Solo, op.27 on DG.
https://www.amazon.com/EugŠne-Ysa˜-Sonatas-Violin-Solo/dp/B0BVNTXT2L
This is not part of The Original Source Series, but it is a fantastic recording, none the less. Quiet vinyl, rich string tones and dynamic.... wonderfully enjoyable to listen to while waiting for the next pre-order to arrive ;)

Best wishes,
Don

That is indeed a fantastic recording of great music played in a wonderful performance. I have the CD version, and heard the LP as well.

That is indeed a fantastic recording of great music played in a wonderful performance. I have the CD version, and heard the LP as well.
Al beat me to it! Yes, what a recording and great vinyl.

I'm sitting in our den with my laptop while my wife is watching TV and she looks over at me while I was reading this wonderfully created poem and she asks...."What's up with the big smile on your face?"

I had to let her read it. She had a big smile on her face and she said...."Oh you boys! :)"

She thinks, as do I, that it is so nice to have a forum where people from all over the world with similar interests can talk and laugh together, share and learn together, and yes, form friendships and care for each other.

Thank you for taking the time and sharing your creativity with us by writing this post! This has had to be one of the best one's I've read in years!:cool:

Best wishes,
Don

Last edited:

Very enjoyable, thank you.

IMG_4391.jpeg
Sidney’s been at it again. Ma Vlast side 4. Side 2 is even tighter, but not as tight as side 3 of the Brahms Gilels.

Fantastic sound!

Hello, i got all four of the third batch now.
Hello Michael,

I'm excited to hear your thoughts on how the 4 records from the 3rd batch is sounding? Any issues or troubles with tracking with any of them?

I'm still patiently waiting for my 4 records to arrive yet.

Best wishes,
Don

Hello Michael,

I'm excited to hear your thoughts on how the 4 records from the 3rd batch is sounding? Any issues or troubles with tracking with any of them?

I'm still patiently waiting for my 4 records to arrive yet.

Best wishes,
Don
Hello Don, so far no issues with tracking!

But I didn't had the time for the Smetana so far. The three LPs that I could listen to are first class, very very quiet vinyl and fantastic sound.

There is a review on Tracking Angle from Mark Ward:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing