The new audiophile vinyl series The Original Source from Deutsche Grammophon (AAA)

orfeo_monteverdi

Jan 16, 2015
Europe
[please forgive my poor English]

What is that 'white label' thing? (see hereafter; it makes the same record more expensive).
Materially, is the record the same? (so is it just "marketing"?).
Sorry for those "naïve" questions, I know pretty nothing to vinyl.

Out of the same recording:
- the white label item,€119: https://store.deutschegrammophon.co...-letzte-lieder-tod-und-verklaerung/index.html
- the regular item, €54: https://store.deutschegrammophon.co...-letzte-lieder-tod-und-verklaerung/index.html

orfeo_monteverdi

Jan 16, 2015
Europe
(I wonder what are DG's criteria to chose a recording for The Original Source serie, as I wonder what is the interest to reissue Strauss' Four Last Songs /Vier Letzte Lieder performed by Gundula Janowitz/Karajan/Berliner when you already have such an intense interpretation as Elisabeth Schwarzkopf/ George Szell, on another label, admittedly;

Similarly, I'd like to see Beethoven piano sonatas by Fournier /Gulda (DG) reissued...even if we already have Richter/Rostropovich, Philips.
I discovered the Fournier/Gulda interpretation a few weeks ago on vinyl, original record, played by a very high-end Yukiseimitsu Japanese turntable through the Stenheim Reference Ultime Two X. Memorable.
)

Kjetil

Oct 28, 2022
Hamar, Norway
I cannot see anything special about the white label except the white label.

The Schwarzkopf/Szell is indeed (still) on a different label. Warner has the EMI catalogue, and DG is under the Universal umbrella.

The Fournier/Gulda is from 1959. No 4-track master tapes, which is what The Original Source series is produced from, back then. But there may be a market for a The Original Source 2-series...

----

Not The Original Source, but Emil Berliner Studios (Rainer and Sidney) have been at it with a D2D with the Bamberg SO. Dvorak 9:

Last edited:
Reactions: No Regrets

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
(I wonder what are DG's criteria to chose a recording for The Original Source series,….
Me too. And hope they will redo some of the older DG issues from the sixties in the future, which are sonically in a different world (not all of them though) from the latter ones when they moved on to modern solid state technology. This one for instance, which is one of the best sounding LP’s I have.

IMG_2704.jpeg

Last edited:

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
How’s it sounding compared to the Fledermaus?

oldvinyl

Jun 3, 2017
Specific Northwest - Seattle area

What is that 'white label' thing? (see hereafter; it makes the same record more expensive).

- the white label item,€119: https://store.deutschegrammophon.co...-letzte-lieder-tod-und-verklaerung/index.html
- the regular item, €54: https://store.deutschegrammophon.co...-letzte-lieder-tod-und-verklaerung/index.html
The DG website describes them as limited edition.

Wish it said more about the pressing - such as first 100, or its own stamper.

oldvinyl

Jun 3, 2017
Specific Northwest - Seattle area
(I wonder what are DG's criteria to chose a recording for The Original Source serie, as I wonder what is the interest to reissue Strauss' Four Last Songs /Vier Letzte Lieder performed by Gundula Janowitz/Karajan/Berliner when you already have such an intense interpretation as Elisabeth Schwarzkopf/ George Szell, on another label, admittedly;
The Strauss achieved cult status. David Bowie endorsed that recording.

Some enthusiasts prefer Janowitz over Schwarzkopf.

As per the DG website, the selection is driven by the 4 channel quadraphonic recordings that they did in the 1970s.

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
Yes, Carlos Kleiber was legendary for his opera interpretations, esp. his Mozart. His dad's recordings are amazing too, but unfortunately none in stereo. Apparently, Erich was very tough on his son and Carlos actually ran away from home ! Some historians say that Carlos tried his whole life to be better than his old man. Opera sets on LPs and CDs are hard to sell nowadays. Many opera fans prefer to watch DVDs. I have quite a number of 4 track tapes of operas picked up for a song.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada

DG White Label are the first 100 pressings to come off the stamper/mold.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjetil

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Well, unfortunately my so called "Great News" has turned out to be disappointing yet again :(

To Amazon's credit, I had sent back my original Berlioz that had arrived with scratches on it last Wednesday for a replacement. On Friday, they sent me an email saying my new copy has been shipped. I received it on Sunday! I thought that was incredibly fast and was very impressed by their speed :)

That was indeed great news, but unfortunately, the disappointment came last night when I tried to play the replacement copy. Yep, you guessed it... it has come with a scratch right at the beginning of side one. About a 1/2 inch long which is a lot of revolutions of loud pops :(

This leads me to start thinking...

1. Is anyone else experiencing quality control issues on this Berlioz besides me? The record came to me sealed, so I have to believe these scratches are happening at the pressing plant or where ever they initially package the new record into it's sleeve.

2. Or, do they just dump all the rejects to Amazon to be sold? I hate to think that way, but two copies in a row of the same record has come to me with scratches.

What do you think I should do? Simply return this record and forget about having it, or return and ask for a replacement yet again for the second time?

I don't mind paying a high price for records, but when they are new... am I wrong to expect that they come to me without scratches on them???

I know that with everything that is going on both here in the US with weekly mass shootings and the wars abroad, receiving a scratched record is nothing to get mad about... but it is still disappointing when you were excited to receive a new highly praised recording and it comes defected.

I would love to hear your thoughts...

Best wishes,
Don
Hmm… I have ordered all from DG direct and have not seen any issues (yet). Have played about 8 albums. All have been pristine, with just a couple needing a flattening.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Brahms Emil Gilels has audible distortion at the end of side C. I guess that’s just inherent in the medium, with a stylus profile like mine (FGS). I don’t think it’s a pressing issue. Anyone else hear it?

EDIT: Just read the Tracking Angle review and it's well noted that there are tracking issues with this album. Glad it's not my system!
The Nagra (EMT) cartridge tracks it quite well, but there is some inner groove distortion that's audible on Side 3.

Last edited:

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
As noted in the above link (thank you), DG will issue more copies of the first batch in the Original Source Series.

“The official release date is 16th February for all retailers, but it will have a pre-release in our D2C-Shop on 21st December here https://store.deutschegrammophon.com/p30-i3200, and the pre-order for that will start on Friday 1st December when the product will be made available again.”

"These records will be identical to the original releases, except they will not be numbered copies."

I'm curious what people think about a series of records initially advertised as numbered limited editions, now - in a very short time - being issued further apparently without any limit on issue size.

The OSS thus far has proved (to me anyway) that the use of the 4-track non-digital masters in an AAA process, coupled with near-silent vinyl, is a huge success. Imo, all future vinyl from DG should be done this way with the value of an AAA process being recognized.

On the one hand those buying the numbered limited edition received a pressing presumably made inside the edition limit of NNNN. I don't know how many copies are considered an early pressing or how many stampers DG made. On the other hand, one might see this as a kind of broken promise. There is a certain urgency and chachet associated to limited editions that might be perceived as added value. Whether that holds up over time we shall see. On the third hand there is the opportunity for those missing out to acquire a desirable all-analog issue -- whose initial price was not cheap - but now without a a reseller markup.

Fwiw, as of December 2nd, the first batch still shows as sold-out.

Kjetil

Oct 28, 2022
Hamar, Norway

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
I'm curious what people think about a series of records initially advertised as numbered limited editions, now - in a very short time - being issued further apparently without any limit on issue size.
Good morning Tim,

I have mixed feelings about this. DG and EBS really hyped up the specialness and collectibility of this Limited Edition Series. It's fun getting in on a limited run... adds a little bit of excitement to the hunt of finding great records ;)

For people who collect records for the sole purpose of selling at a later date for a huge profit... I think they will be dismayed.

For people like me who search out the best pressings, recording quality and best performance with the most desired musicians.... I don't think it will make much difference to me. Plus, when you add in the fact that we can now have another opportunity to get a previous title that we may have missed out on... that could be considered a win.

Don't get me wrong though.... I have a lot of NM records that are worth hundreds of dollars more now than when I had first purchased them. I consider that to be an extra bonus for my loved ones if they decide to sell them when I go up to the pearly gates. I just don't purchase records with the goal of selling them for a profit, but rather to simply enjoy listening them.

Best wishes,
Don

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I can see collectors being disappointed. Personally, I don’t buy records and hope to resell them at a profit, so it does not matter. I am glad more people will be able to own the albums. Presumably, audio quality will be better from the first lot, unless DG makes a new stamper/mold for this run?

I have the entire series. They do sound great, but DG made a big mistake by not spreading the tracks over a 3rd record in some cases (e.g., Brahms, Smetana). The DG Bean Counters allowed the company to make a stupid mistake. (Read the Tracking Angle reviews if you don’t know what I am talking about.)

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Thanks! Where did you dig that info up?
It’s visible on every White Label album in the DG.com store. “Strictly limited to 100 units.” These are the first 100 to come off the stamper.

They don’t have a label and the album cover is “loose” the album cover itself is just white.
I have a signed copy of Hilary Hahn’s 6 sonatas for violin. It sounds great - I can “see” the orientation of her violin in my room. But both records have the spindle hole off center!

Last edited:

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
When DG says: “Mastered from the original source and pressed on 180 gram vinyl” [not for an Original Source release] does this mean that they could have still converted to digital, or is it all analog?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing