The new audiophile vinyl series The Original Source from Deutsche Grammophon (AAA)

Kjetil

Oct 28, 2022
Hamar, Norway

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Tracking details received. Ooh, these and my Analogue Productions 45rpm reissues of two Genesis albums arriving next week. And of course, customs charges/VAT.
Beauties and the beastly.

Reactions: Bonesy Jonesy

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Metropolitan Detroit area, MI
Hello everyone

I’m new here. Having occasionally looked at this forum over the last couple of years, seeing this thread prompted me to register. I’ll introduce myself properly when I have more time, but want to just quickly share a couple of things about these DGG Original Source LPs.

The “2nd editions” of four of the earlier releases, such as the Kleiber Beethoven 7th, are now available to order at Presto. Also at amazon.de (although rather more expensive there). I ordered the three that I want yesterday evening.

I asked Presto about the likely availability of these 2nd editions last week, before they were available to order (at that point, only the Janowitz / Karajan / BPO Strauss and the Tchaikovsky 4th were). They advised that the 2nd editions would be released for ordering today (so they actually jumped the gun slightly), for delivery some time in February. Sure enough, when I placed the order yesterday evening, it gave an estimated dispatch date of 16th February.

Hope this is of interest to some of you (although I dare say a lot of you will already know that they are now orderable in various places).

Best wishes to all
Andrew

PS. I once had the great good fortune to hear Kleiber conduct Beethoven’s 7th in London (when he stood in for Böhm, who was unwell). Beyond marvellous.
Welcome, and thank you for the detailed response.

Michael S.

Mar 7, 2023
Germany
IMG_5034.jpeg

R. Strauss: Tod und Verklärung (Death and Transfiguration); Vier letzte Lieder (Four Last Songs)

Gundula Janowitz (soprano)
Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Herbert von Karajan

Exemplary pressing, silent with very good soundstage and bass-attack in the first side.

second side is in my opinion the best recorded soprano in my collection. No distortion or noise in the highest notes of Frau Janowitz.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Just before the fourth batch, a new article from Mark Ward.

i liked his writings on TOS since earlier in the year.

however in an older article he says his Super King Analog reissues were better than his original deccas. Not sure what system he had then as they are poor. Tang too had the super analog reissue of the Rostropovich arpeggione it was trash compared to his decca Holland pressing.

in this article he writes about Mravinsky and Leningrad philharmonic for Tchaikovsky. That’s really good. I have Mravinsky’s and Leningrad’s Vienna 1978 the Shostakovich 5th live is incredible. It also has the T 5th

BFF26F30-8D7C-4F6D-98E4-226EAA6BB369.jpeg

Last edited:

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
in this article he writes about Mravinsky and Leningrad philharmonic for Tchaikovsky. That’s really good
I have that box set too and in my opinion it’s better than these new OS reissues in terms of SQ. Maybe it’s just me but I hear a slightly off piano on OS reissues I own. Still great sounding but not perfect.

Last edited:
Reactions: tima

Michael S.

Mar 7, 2023
Germany

Gustav Holst: The Planets (Suite for Large Orchestra)

William Steinberg conducting the Boston Symphony Orchestra and New England Conservatory Chorus (Director: Lorna Cooke de Varon)

I like Steinberg's interpretation, which I didn't know before. It is faster than others I know, which makes it less bombastic for me.

Again, a very successful pressing, very quiet barely perceptible background noise. Very large dynamic range, I didn't hear any distortions. You can hear bell-clear and spatially up to the smallest supporting voices.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Superb performance of The Planets , My personal favourite interpretation of ‘Neptune The Mystic’ .

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Sounding fantastic. Playing back on mobile violin is hard on top but when streamed to a soundbar (or probably headphone) the whole performance is absolutely fantastic.

Kjetil

Oct 28, 2022
Hamar, Norway
Ha!! That's at @christensenleif@msn.com 's place!

My Strauss and Steinberg has left Denmark. Looking forward to them!

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Mine arrived today. :)

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Mine arrived to my UK base yesterday;
IMG_4960.jpg
IMG_4961.jpg
IMG_4962.jpg
IMG_4963.jpg

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I read back to mid-January on the SHF forum for the batch #4 of the TOS series looking for availability and where people were purchasing. These issuances are having a hard time getting out of the EU/UK. US offerings from third party vendors were kinda hit-and-miss on US Amazon, with much higher prices than the earlier batches which US Amazon sold themselves at lower cost than the DG shop and free shipping via Prime. You can buy them full price direct from DG who will charge alot for shipping.

Today I checked the jpc.de German seller and they have all, the Steinberg box, Tchaikovsky 4 with Abbado and Gundala Janowitz with Karajan. The latter two at 50.41 Euro and the Steinberg (3 LPs) at 134.45 Euro -- that's without whatever taxes the EU puts upon themselves. Shipping to US is less than 20.00 Euro for 5 LPs. That converts to ~ $256.61 USD. If you use paypal it will tack on a 'conversion fee' if you want to pay in USD. I have ordered from jpc.de previously and found them reliable and expedient.

Steinberg: https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/deutsche-grammophon-recordings/hnum/11670386

Abbado: https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/de...ony-no-4-in-f-minor-op-36-th-27/hnum/11670383

Karajan: https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/de...larung-op-24-vier-letzte-lieder/hnum/11670384

Based on jpc.de's 'Sales Rank in LPs':
Steinberg 20
Abbado 66
Karajan 65

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Good morning. Some recent off topic posts have been removed from this thread. Let's please stay on topic.

Thank you.

Tom

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I wonder when they'll announce more titles.... surely they're not done?

Kjetil

Oct 28, 2022
Hamar, Norway
Someone please put thumb screws on Tracking Angle’s Mike Ward…

Not literally!

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Good morning. Some recent off topic posts have been removed from this thread. Let's please stay on topic.

Thank you.

Tom
Apologies from my side Tom.

Reactions: treitz3

Kjetil

Oct 28, 2022
Hamar, Norway
Danish vendor iMusic has put up these four for release 3rd May:
1706210573131.png
Coattails
1706210616404.png
Shirt sleeves
1706210645083.png
A turtleneck is the most flattering thing a man can wear
1706210673008.png
Scribble

Last edited:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Oh wow, I can't speak to the performances, but those are great titles.

Reactions: No Regrets

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing