The new MSB Technology Forum

Munnich

Jul 2, 2022
Hello.

Not sure if this the correct place to ask a this question but here goes-

My Premier dac does not have the Pro USB/ISL it only has the regular USB module and the Renderer V2. I don’t stream I only play music that was down-loaded to my Melco N1ZH60.

If I purchase a Pro USB/ISL is it necessary to get something like an Ideon Audio Absolute Time or some other such device? As for the MSB Digital Director, not sure if the boss will green light that big of a purchase as I have only recently purchased the Premier, plus trying not to have to more boxes which means more space and racks or do I for go the Pro USB and save For one of these other devises? I do want to create the best possible SQ though.

I am quite bewildered by all tech talk and articles on switches and things like that. I do understand the Pro USB/ISL and its benefits but what I’m not sure of if I’m not streaming are these other devises necessary with the Pro USB.

thanks for any feedback.

Last edited:

Armsan

Jan 28, 2016
Portugal
Hello.

Not sure if this the correct place to ask a this question but here goes-

My Premier dac does not have the Pro USB/ISL it only has the regular USB module and the Renderer V2. I don’t stream I only play music that was down-loaded to my Melco N1ZH60.

If I purchase a Pro USB/ISL is it necessary to get something like an Ideon Audio Absolute Time or some other such device? As for the MSB Digital Director, not sure if the boss will green light that big of a purchase as I have only recently purchased the Premier, plus trying not to have to more boxes which means more space and racks or do I for go the Pro USB and save For one of these other devises? I do want to create the best possible SQ though.

I am quite bewildered by all tech talk and articles on switches and things like that. I do understand the Pro USB/ISL and its benefits but what I’m not sure of if I’m not streaming are these other devises necessary with the Pro USB.

thanks for any feedback.
Maybe you have already all the answers for your doubts but no, you don’t need anything else if you purchase the Pro USB. It comes with a ISL module that you insert in your DAC, fiber cable to plug it to the Pro USB and that’s it. This is intended to isolate the DAC from your server and benefits equally streaming and local files. Also I recommend to take it out from the DAC your Renderer V2 unless you use a UPnP software to play your music.

Ricco275

VIP/Donor
May 22, 2023
Paris France
Hi, I have a Discrete DAC with Renderer V2, a nucleus as core / server, and MacBook as remote.

I am seeking advice in case there is a more qualitative / better way to play music, e.g different MSB output module or external streamer.

I like Roon interface and I would like to stick to it. Wondering if adding HQPlayer without getting things too complicated, I like smooth and easy listening sessions.

many thanks for the help.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Hi, I have a Discrete DAC with Renderer V2, a nucleus as core / server, and MacBook as remote.

I am seeking advice in case there is a more qualitative / better way to play music, e.g different MSB output module or external streamer.

I like Roon interface and I would like to stick to it. Wondering if adding HQPlayer without getting things too complicated, I like smooth and easy listening sessions.

many thanks for the help.
I have an external streamer and ProUSB/ISL combo card I'm using. I do have Roon with HQPlayer and like the combo. Now I can't tell you if you will like using something better than the Renderer V2 card. You really need to try it and see. I'm sure you can borrow the ProUSB/ISL combo card from your dealer. Maybe they also have a streamer you can try.

When I purchased my MSB DAC I already had a seperate streamer so I went directly to the ProUSB/ISL.

Good luck

Reactions: Ricco275 and Armsan

Ricco275

VIP/Donor
May 22, 2023
Paris France
I have an external streamer and ProUSB/ISL combo card I'm using. I do have Roon with HQPlayer and like the combo. Now I can't tell you if you will like using something better than the Renderer V2 card. You really need to try it and see. I'm sure you can borrow the ProUSB/ISL combo card from your dealer. Maybe they also have a streamer you can try.

When I purchased my MSB DAC I already had a seperate streamer so I went directly to the ProUSB/ISL.

Good luck
Thanks. Which streamer do you use if I may ask? I wonder if better to use a separate streamer - like Antipodes K22 - and the rock as a server or keep streaming through the renderer and having a better server, like the Antipodes K41.

Armsan

Jan 28, 2016
Portugal
Thanks. Which streamer do you use if I may ask? I wonder if better to use a separate streamer - like Antipodes K22 - and the rock as a server or keep streaming through the renderer and having a better server, like the Antipodes K41.
Go with the ProUSB first, like bryans explained. It betters the Renderer V2. Then , if you’re satisfied, go to a better USB streamer output card. To do the test, remove the Renderer module from your DAC, which is a noisy PC.

Reactions: Kingsrule

Ricco275

VIP/Donor
May 22, 2023
Paris France
Go with the ProUSB first, like bryans explained. It betters the Renderer V2. Then , if you’re satisfied, go to a better USB streamer output card. To do the test, remove the Renderer module from your DAC, which is a noisy PC.
Understood that part. Then with my current system I should connect the MSB Discrete to the Rock via USB to try if it betters the renderer.Then I would like to understand what is the best option considering I don't want to have invest in both separate streamer and separate server - either one - and using rock nuc unit if going for separate streamer.

Armsan

Jan 28, 2016
Portugal
Understood that part. Then with my current system I should connect the MSB Discrete to the Rock via USB to try if it betters the renderer.Then I would like to understand what is the best option considering I don't want to have invest in both separate streamer and separate server - either one - and using rock nuc unit if going for separate streamer.
If you want try this first, with the devices you already have, only for streaming: skip out the Rock, in a Android device install Bubble UPnP, assuming that you have a Qobuz account, for instance, select you V2 module as Renderer and play streamed files. Compare to your previous setup and access the contribution of the Rock to the result.

Ricco275

VIP/Donor
May 22, 2023
Paris France
If you want try this first, with the devices you already have, only for streaming: skip out the Rock, in a Android device install Bubble UPnP, assuming that you have a Qobuz account, for instance, select you V2 module as Renderer and play streamed files. Compare to your previous setup and access the contribution of the Rock to the result.
thank you for the advice. I unfortunately little time to listen to music and so even less to try several options out. That's why I would have loved to get a best practice here, considering that I would like not too many boxes around.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
I use a Pachanko Labs Constellation Masterpiece. I have Roon and HQPlayer on the server so I can switch back and forth via the Roon Zones.

Reactions: Ricco275

Ricco275

VIP/Donor
May 22, 2023
Paris France
I’m considering to add the LDMS minimax server to replace the NUC and connect via the USB PRO module. Other options are the K41, K22 or old K30 Antipodes. It seems those who tried both brands value more the LDMS.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing