The ***Official*** Progressive Rock Thread

jgfergus

Mar 4, 2011
Mississauga, Ontario
Been a member here for a while but have only posted once. As I have lots of prog vinyl & CD's, figured I should contribute.
Just finished listening to this great German prog album from 1976...
P1060883.jpg

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Been a member here for a while but have only posted once. As I have lots of prog vinyl & CD's, figured I should contribute.
Just finished listening to this great German prog album from 1976...
View attachment 26146

Thanks for posting. How would you describe the music, sonics and pressing?

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
Thanks for posting. How would you describe the music, sonics and pressing?

Schicke Fuhrs Frohling were one of the great prog bands of the 70s. Originally Frank Zappa was going to produce their first album, Symphonic Pictures, but it never came to pass. I think if he was involved their music would have gone in a radically different direction.

SFF is occasionally lumped in with another prog trio, Emerson Lake & Palmer but there really is marginal musical connection. The late keyboardist Gerd Fuhrs used a very symphonic sounding pallette focusing heavily on Mellotron, synthesizers and organ. Guitarist Heinz Frohling also doubled on bass. He often played in counterpoint to Fuhrs and has a fluid grace to his solos. Drummer Eddie Schicke had a huge arsenal of percussion and was the rhythmic glue that held the band together.

Symphonic Pictures was the best of their three albums, highlighted by the sidelong title track.

Great production with an expansive sound. Dead quiet German pressing.

We were fortunate to reissue the three SFF albums on CD many years ago. Our set was mastered from the original master tales by Bob Katz.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Is it on CD?

Scratch that on a whim I went on Amazon and there was one left I snatched it.. Sorry Guys

jgfergus

Mar 4, 2011
Mississauga, Ontario
I wished I'd have grabbed your 2CD set years ago when I had the chance Ken. Any idea how the recent Esoteric reissue sounds? It's 2 CD set with the 1975 live album on the 2nd CD.

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
I wished I'd have grabbed your 2CD set years ago when I had the chance Ken. Any idea how the recent Esoteric reissue sounds? It's 2 CD set with the 1975 live album on the 2nd CD.

I didn't bother listening. Esoteric mastering generally is subpar. I've been told our set blows the Esoteric reissues away. Nice liner notes though!

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Schicke Fuhrs Frohling were one of the great prog bands of the 70s. Originally Frank Zappa was going to produce their first album, Symphonic Pictures, but it never came to pass. I think if he was involved their music would have gone in a radically different direction.

SFF is occasionally lumped in with another prog trio, Emerson Lake & Palmer but there really is marginal musical connection. The late keyboardist Gerd Fuhrs used a very symphonic sounding pallette focusing heavily on Mellotron, synthesizers and organ. Guitarist Heinz Frohling also doubled on bass. He often played in counterpoint to Fuhrs and has a fluid grace to his solos. Drummer Eddie Schicke had a huge arsenal of percussion and was the rhythmic glue that held the band together.

Symphonic Pictures was the best of their three albums, highlighted by the sidelong title track.

Great production with an expansive sound. Dead quiet German pressing.

We were fortunate to reissue the three SFF albums on CD many years ago. Our set was mastered from the original master tales by Bob Katz.

Ken, thank you so much for the info. I found the album on Tidal and listened to some of it last night and loved it. This morning I bought the LP; can't wait to get it.

jgfergus

Mar 4, 2011
Mississauga, Ontario
Now playing...
Locanda Delle Fate - Forse Le Lucciole Non Si Amano Piu (Italy, 1977)

An absolutely gorgeous album. One of my favorite Italian prog albums. Beautiful romantic classically influenced compositions, rich instrumentation (flute, acoustic, 12 string & electric guitar, Hammond organ, piano, electric Piano, harpsichord, clarinet, Fender electric piano, synthesizers (Moog, Polymoog), vibraphone) with the fantastic & expressive vocals of Leonardo Sasso. Sadly, this was their only studio album until a lackluster reunion album in 1999. A masterpiece of symphonic prog rock.

P1060891.jpg P1060892.jpg

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
^^^^^ Nice! I'm gonna have to look for that!

Question: Ever visit Ric's Recollections on Lakeshore in Port Credit?

jgfergus

Mar 4, 2011
Mississauga, Ontario
^^^^^ Nice! I'm gonna have to look for that!

Question: Ever visit Ric's Recollections on Lakeshore in Port Credit?

Hey John...yes, I have visited Ric on occasion over the years. I don't stop in regularly because it's rare you'll ever find a steal at Ric's as he researches every used vinyl he gets in so nothing flies under his radar. And I'm not prepared to buy a used MoFi for $150. But his used LP's are usually graded accurately and he cleans all of them on his VPI RCM. Over the past 5 months I have been frequenting a new store in Oakville called PCV Records. I have bought dozens of LP's from their $1 & $2 bins as well as finding some incredible albums (jazz, blues, rock) for cheap.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Yes, I've known Rick for well over a decade. Such a character, I've got some funny stories ...
I'd love to hear some one day. I've known Rick for years as well and miss not being able to drop by now that I'm in Calgary. :(

Hey John...yes, I have visited Ric on occasion over the years. I don't stop in regularly because it's rare you'll ever find a steal at Ric's as he researches every used vinyl he gets in so nothing flies under his radar. And I'm not prepared to buy a used MoFi for $150. But his used LP's are usually graded accurately and he cleans all of them on his VPI RCM. Over the past 5 months I have been frequenting a new store in Oakville called PCV Records. I have bought dozens of LP's from their $1 & $2 bins as well as finding some incredible albums (jazz, blues, rock) for cheap.
He's pricier than most, that's for sure. However, he's sourced out some vinyl for me, and he will do you a deal (if you're a regular and pay cash).

I've not heard of PVC, but someone mentioned another store on Speers Rd called Vulture Culture. Are they one and the same? I hear good things about them.

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
Ken, thank you so much for the info. I found the album on Tidal and listened to some of it last night and loved it. This morning I bought the LP; can't wait to get it.

Also check out their next album Sunburst. Tracks are shorter but still very good. Their last album, Ticket To Everywhere, wasn't their best effort. It did feature Klaus Meine from Scorpions as a guest vocalist on a track which was a cool thing. Overall the album is a bit too bouncy for my taste.

Gerd Fuhrs and Heinz Frohling made three albums together without Eduard Schicke. The first one calld Ammerland is stunning. It will also give your woofers one hell of a ride. If you liked Symphonic Pictures make sure you pick up an original German pressing of Ammerland.

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
Now playing...

An absolutely gorgeous album. One of my favorite Italian prog albums. Beautiful romantic classically influenced compositions, rich instrumentation (flute, acoustic, 12 string & electric guitar, Hammond organ, piano, electric Piano, harpsichord, clarinet, Fender electric piano, synthesizers (Moog, Polymoog), vibraphone) with the fantastic & expressive vocals of Leonardo Sasso. Sadly, this was their only studio album until a lackluster reunion album in 1999. A masterpiece of symphonic prog rock.

View attachment 26170 View attachment 26171

The follow up live album was pretty great as well. Supposedly test pressings exist...

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Yes...that's the same store. Pop Culture Vulture. They just moved last week to the corner of Speers & 4th line. A much better location.

Near Audio Illusions? You know that mobile audio install place?

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Now playing...

Wow, I listened to this on Tidal and I love it. So surprising for me because about six months ago I dived into Italian prog and didn't come away with stuff as good as these two albums....

Any advice on which pressing to get?

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I guess I overloaded you with italian prog, Ian :)

That Locanda is top 10 for sure, incredible interplay between all the instruments.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing