the sound of tao - some video shares

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Thought I'd also share a part of my simple happy place and some of the sound and the music that makes it an even happier place for me.

I captured a few i-phone videos late into the night recently after having rolled in some NOS 1944 RCA VT-231 and 1950 metal based Metz into the LM SET.

Hope you enjoy the music and the love contained in these simple musical streams.

cheers
Graham

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Very nice, Tao, and rather musical. Amazing capabilities a smartphone has. Are you using an aftermarket mic?

One suggestion if I may, is to try recording with the in-room volume levels maybe 3 db higher than what you have here. I think it could go a long way in helping to capture a bit more of the dynamics and overall gestalt. These two areas are impossible to capture their fullest but if you capture just enough, a little imagination will tell the rest of the story.

Still, very nicely done.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Thanks Stehno, I’m just using the old iPhone 6 built in mic. I have a Blue yeti as a USB studio mic that I use doing distance connect teaching and I may use that down the track into the phone and can drive the levels on that. Just using the usual listening levels and auto level on the phone and wasn’t doing it any more than just a bit of fun. I was sitting there anyway enjoying the music and just pushed record.

I’m due for a new phone soon so may go Samsung and go for a better sound facility but going too pro is not really where it’s at for me lol.

Reactions: Lagonda

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Thanks Stehno, I’m just using the old iPhone 6 built in mic. I have a Blue yeti as a USB studio mic that I use doing distance connect teaching and I may use that down the track into the phone and can drive the levels on that. Just using the auto level and wasn’t doing it any more than just a bit of fun. I was sitting there anyway and just pushed record.

I’m due for a new phone soon so may go Samsung and go for a better sound facility but going too pro is not really where it’s at for me lol.

Excellent job with just the built-in mic. I've used my iPhone XR built-in mic for a time and was impressed with what it could capture. In fact, I was disappointed that when I purchased a Shure MV88 small stereo condenser mic, that it wasn't more musical. But the MV88 is more consistent.

And most important, it doesn't take much imagination to see that you've got something musical going on in your room.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I agree. If you (and Peter) increase the volume two more notches, the sound will be easier to hear.

Edited: Sorry Tao. It is loud enough.

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Exciting time this past two days getting a glimpse of friends' system in this forum. Great! Sound like you brought the whole concert hall into your room Tao.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Will have a go at it for sure, thanks for the tips guys. I always hope the neighbours enjoy my music choices as well but if I go a little gain I’ll enjoy it more for sure.

Reactions: Lagonda

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Exciting time this past two days getting a glimpse of friends' system in this forum. Great! Sound like you brought the whole concert hall into your room Tao.
Many thanks Tang, I do love the orchestra being in there with me. I’m going to make folded OB subs my next move so it’ll be nice to record the journey.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Nice sounding videos Graham, next time with lights on please:).
david
Thanks David, two way with horn is my homage to Bionor... tho my protestant upbringing prevents me from doing anything too enjoyable with the lights on :oops:

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Really nice sounding system, Graham. Enjoy.
Particularly enjoyed the track with the trumpet solo.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Thanks Bill, really touching music it was an arrangement that Dave Douglas did to play at his mother’s funeral.

Beautiful take on Vaughan Williams. Music is still always what it’s all about. Musicians... gotta love their work, the gift that keeps giving.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks Stehno, I’m just using the old iPhone 6 built in mic. I have a Blue yeti as a USB studio mic that I use doing distance connect teaching and I may use that down the track into the phone and can drive the levels on that. Just using the usual listening levels and auto level on the phone and wasn’t doing it any more than just a bit of fun. I was sitting there anyway enjoying the music and just pushed record.

Thanks for that, the trumpet is very well textured. What drivers and amp are you using in there?

I can send you same tracks from iPhone 8+ and Samsung 10+. If you hear those, you will buy iPhone

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Ked I’m using Pureaudioproject horns but with modified external crossovers and the amp is a Line Magnetic lM805ia but with upgraded caps and the pre is a Microzotl MZ3. I’ve added mundorf and Duelund upgrades. My next exploration is to go with 50mm laminated bamboo baffles and to build some OB subs.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
cheers Dvuc, the MZ3 currently has Nos RCA 12SN7s. I have lots of opportunity to improve on the valves I have in both the amp and pre. Its possible to roll 6SN7s into the Microzotl as well.

Dvuc

Apr 28, 2013
Graham, in my book you have talent and great ears to make excellent sound from not too much expensive components. Yes, it is just recording but I can tell that sound is extremely well balanced.
Hint for MZ: Meltz 1578 with 5 holes and Brimar 6060/12AT7 yellow “T”
Cheers !

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Graham, in my book you have talent and great ears to make excellent sound from not too much expensive components. Yes, it is just recording but I can tell that sound is extremely well balanced.
Hint for MZ: Meltz 1578 with 5 holes and Brimar 6060/12AT7 yellow “T”
Cheers !
That’s very kind Dvuc, I am really happy with what I have. I’ll definitely go looking for both the Melz and Brimar... I tried to get some 1578s a while back from the Ukraine but with current delays on freight to here it was a 6 month express trip. Captain Cook got over here faster than that :). I love a tube adventure and rolling Nos has been a very nice part of that. Many thanks for the tips... always nice to explore new valves.
Cheers
Graham

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Haha, Graham. Just ordered some Reflektor Silver Shield 6n23p tubes from Ukraine. I'm promised delivery in 2-4 weeks.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Amazing ! My iPad has never sounded this good before !:)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing