The Truth about Whats Best Forum

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Fransisco, just so I know to what you are referring when you describe a system as "more convincing", please give me an example of a couple current systems, digital I presume, which you find to be so, and some from the past that you think sound less convincing.

Well, the DCS Vivaldi in my system is an excellent example of more convincing for me. It is not as exuberant as the Metronome, but is an excellent balance of neutrality, dynamics and detail.
Unfortunately you are not listening to digital, otherwise I would suggest to listen to a few examples in Jordi Saval "La route de d'esclavage" or Monteverdi: Vespro della Beata Virgine - La Petite Bande, Sigiswald Kuijken.

Micro details is an interesting area. I prefer resolution or information that is balanced and even and does not draw attention to itself. When I read "detail" I think "hifi". I hear it from many contemporary expensive systems. And often, fatigue comes with it in the high frequencies. The brain/body can not relax, but oh there is detail. I think of nuance and low level resolution like hall ambiance, string texture, hollow wood body, subtle placement and spatial relationships, and timbre all improving with resolution and increased information. Perhaps you call this detail.

Well, IMHO if some one reads "detail" and thinks "hifi" IMHO he needs new reading glasses or has been traumatized by exposition to poor quality sound quality ... Proper detail is essential to me.

No, I call "nuance and low level resolution like hall ambiance, string texture, hollow wood body, subtle placement and spatial relationships, and timbre" just "nuance and low level resolution like hall ambiance, string texture, hollow wood body, subtle placement and spatial relationships, and timbre", as you and others do. Detail and micro detail have been debated ad nauseum in magazines and forums, please do not ask me to define them!

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
The truth about What's Best Forum.

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

@Steve Williams . Can you tell us how this forum that I keep coming to everyday started up? I love reading how people start up a successful establishment.

Reactions: christoph

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
First of all, it is not price v. value. Price is a subset of value. It's actually quality v cost. Quality is a function of cost. That ratio determines value. In fac, cost can involve other things than money. For example, a huge room heater amplifier can be a low value, high- cost item.
I do net necessarily agree erwith the notion by the late great Frederick Douglas. You may not always get what you always pay for what you get, but you alwayys pay for what you get. Amen. That's why I place little stock in such phrases as "operating above its' pay grade." There aren those who are frugal by nature.
Attmps at perfection are expensive. We are are aall familiar with the law nof diminishing returns. Better materials and better technology cost money.
I am frugal by neccesity. Moreover tiny little inperfections drive me crazy. I recently put bar end pluigs in the bicycle handlebars of a strangers bike. Over his objection.
I think sound is the overwhelming requirement for mos of us is sound quality. If you are in the market for the best and inclined to spend the cash go for it. If you have a beautiful home, you may well a bejeweled products that integrates with your decor. Bells and whistles are okay if that floats your boat. I can think of no category of products where this is not the case.
I cant help(I really dont care to.} but point out the rank hypocrisy of a reviewer making this argument. I think you know why.

Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing